PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice please!

Don Williams Michigan
03-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I need to purchase a good, accurate 12" combination square. The standard seems to be Starrett. I have been looking at auctions but I am concerned with a used square being bent or otherwise abused. This is for my workshop so it will be an everyday user. Are there alternative brand combination squares that are accurate but more moderately priced?

I appreciate your input.

Stephen Cherry
03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I've got a brown and sharpe that I paid about 5 dollars for at the yard sale, and also a starrett that I bought new. They were both well worth the money. Starrett does show up on craigslist, etc, and should be just fine, subject to inspection.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Depending on what I am doing, I found that the precision woodworking square (such as this: http://www.woodpeck.com/1281.html or http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020076/18896/Pinnacle-Precision-Square.aspx) are easier to use (I own the Pinnacle, which is made by woodpecker, so I guess that they are the same thing; I think so anyway). I have two combination squares, one is cheap plastic and the other is metal (Empire brand from Sears) and for most things they are sufficient. That said, the precision squares seem to stay in place better.

I really like my Swanson Speed Square, they are cheap and work well. I found that the Swanson brand was well easier for me to read than the Craftsman brand, but that may be just me. I have a small one and a large one. I frequently use it to provide an edge at a right angle to my board and I run a saw along it. Just last night I used it to keep the saw track square to the edge of the board when I clamped it down. I never checked to see exactly how square it is, however... I expect that the intended use was more for rough carpentry than for furniture, but that is an uninformed guess.

Don Williams Michigan
03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you both for the information. I will keep my eyes open for a used one.

Bob Lang
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
There aren't many things that can go wrong with a Starrett combination square. A bent rule would be obvious, but those are easily and inexpensively replaced. If it's out of square it can be brought back by filing one of the little nubs inside. Brown & Sharpe or Multitoyo aren't as expensive generally and the quality is very close to Starrett. You can get a basic square for a lot less than one that includes the protractor and center finder heads. Also missing scribes or level vials will lower the price of a used square. You won't miss these extras.

Bob Lang

Jeff Duncan
03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm a big fan of buying used machinery, I actually now shy away form any new equipment. Having said that when it comes to hand tools, and the final quality of my work depends on it, I'm probably not going to wait around for one to become available. For what it costs a good Starrett (or other quality maker) is a tool that will last the rest of your life and can be passed on to the next generation. For what they cost they're well worth the minimal investment IMHO.

Just my point of view though....
JeffD

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 5:20 AM
I agree with Jeff. I don't usually buy used squares and will only if I can inspect them and have a reference to verify the accuracy. Compared to most woodworking tools even the Starrett combo squares are not outrageous and will last a lifetime.

Stephen Cherry
03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Got my woodcraft sale flyer for next month, and the starrett is on sale.

glenn bradley
03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
A combination square is a pretty straight forward device. The 35 year old Stanley I have been using has proven itself more than capable. That being said, a nice, high quality, smooth operating combo square is a joy to hold and use. None of the $75 and up units I have had the pleasure to hold have been enough 'more inspiring' than an "adequate" unit to make me spend the money (yet) but, I would not consider it money poorly spent.

I have a double square from Woodcraft 4 or 5 years ago and it is surprisingly high quality. The General 812 is a smooth operating unit for under $40. I would be surprised if the Lee Valley badged stuff was not pretty darn nice as well although I don't see a combo format.

Mike Davis NC
03-25-2011, 1:45 PM
I have 2 Starrett complete sets and a Brown&Sharp set plus a 24" Starrett rule. The only thing i bought new was the 24". All are accurate and should last another 50 years or more. I paid less than $100 total for all of the used stuff at various yard sales, estate sales and flea/pawn shops. The 24 was $50 new 25 years ago. Probably closer to $75 now but if I didn't have it I would cough up the cash. I'm always looking in pawn shops and flea markets for anything Starrett or B&S. It just don't get any better than either of those. I would say they are equal and Mitutoyo is right up there also.

Neil Brooks
03-25-2011, 2:59 PM
I have a couple of Starrett squares, and ... they are simply a joy to use.

That said ... some people will buy ONE NEW Starrett (or equivalent) combo square, or engineer's square, and then ONLY use that to check square on their other squares, and/or take it with them to evaluate square on a used tool they're considering buying.

Which is a pretty good idea. You want ONE that you can always count on, and the others ... you worry just a little less, if they bounce a time or two :)

Don Williams Michigan
03-25-2011, 5:56 PM
Thanks for all of the great input. I cannot believe the Starrett is going on sale at Woodcraft. I am usually not that lucky and end up buying an expensive tool a month before it goes on sale!

Tad Capar
03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
How about this one? http:/newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/2284798475.html (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/2284798475.html)

Matt Roth
03-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Buy a Starrett and don't look back. Mine is on it's 4th lifetime (great-grandfather's) and is the cornerstone of my shop. If the shop was on fire and I could only grab one tool, that would be it!

Paul Ryan
03-26-2011, 9:16 AM
Just buy a decent steel combination square. If you have a family member that will hand down a starrett great. Otherwise go to menards buy 3 of the steel empire combination squares. I am still using the 1st one I bought 10 years ago, still just as square as everything else. I now own 3 more 1 in my basement and the other 2 floating around the shop. We are wood workers not rocket scientists, it doesn't have to be guaranteed square to .00000001". They run about 10-15$ a piece you can buy 3 for less than the price of 1 starrett.

Bill Huber
03-26-2011, 9:45 AM
Just buy a decent steel combination square. If you have a family member that will hand down a starrett great. Otherwise go to menards buy 3 of the steel empire combination squares. I am still using the 1st one I bought 10 years ago, still just as square as everything else. I now own 3 more 1 in my basement and the other 2 floating around the shop. We are wood workers not rocket scientists, it doesn't have to be guaranteed square to .00000001". They run about 10-15$ a piece you can buy 3 for less than the price of 1 starrett.

I agree 100%, a good Starrett square in the machine is a really great tool to have but in a woodworking shop just about any will work. I bought a 16" at Lowes and it was square, I checked it at the store with the two line method and it was square. As you say it may not be good to .00000001 but then I could not make a mark that fine anyway.

Ed Edwards
04-15-2011, 1:53 AM
Over the years I've always had great results from this vendor on ebay

Member id 513zag (http://myworld.ebay.com/513zag/) Andre' is great.

dave toney
04-15-2011, 8:51 AM
I have a couple of Starrett squares, and ... they are simply a joy to use.

That said ... some people will buy ONE NEW Starrett (or equivalent) combo square, or engineer's square, and then ONLY use that to check square on their other squares, and/or take it with them to evaluate square on a used tool they're considering buying.

Which is a pretty good idea. You want ONE that you can always count on, and the others ... you worry just a little less, if they bounce a time or two :)
I agree that Starrett is the gold standard of measuring tools.
But, you don't need a square for reference, just place a square on a straight edge scribe a line and then flip the square over and draw a line, if the lines are parallel the square is fine.
Dave

Bruce Darrow
04-15-2011, 9:34 PM
I too covet a Starrett or Brown and Sharp, but have always choked on the price. CL in my area doesn't seem to produce any old ones - I've never, in a couple or three years of daily perusal, seen one offered.

A while back, I took a flier on a Grizzly set w/ protractor and center finder. I think it was about $30 on sale. It was a good deal. Fit and finish could be better, the rule markings deeper incised, but it is accurate, far more so than the best Stanley I could find locally (which is/was not the best Stanley makes....) And the Griz fit and finish, such as it is, is superior to the Craftsman 6" impulse buy I bought subsequently, although it too is accurate.

I like having the protractor head. Don't use it often, but it is sometimes handy.