PDA

View Full Version : DEWALT DW716 15 Amp 12-Inch Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saw

Linda Tetreault
03-24-2011, 7:32 AM
I've been looking at saws for a while & found this sale at amazon. I'm not a furniture builder, just a hobbiest, I'll use it for frames, moulding & small projects. Is this a good saw, it's looks like overkill for my needs but I also don't want to spend a couple hundred on something that I'm not going to be happy with. Thanks for looking.:D

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW716-12-Inch-Double-Bevel-Compound/dp/B000ASDN60/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Philip Rodriquez
03-24-2011, 9:53 AM
Linda,
I do not have that particular saw... but I do have a DeWalt 12" sliding compound MS and it has served me well for years. If you want a new one, I am absolutely sure you will be happy with it. However, if you are okay with a used one, I would check craigslist. I'd bet you can get a good used slider for less money.

Joe Angrisani
03-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Linda.... I'm with Phillip on his comments, but I will add that it sounds like you don't need a slider saw. They're bigger and more expensive. A regular double-bevel saw like the one you linked to should serve your listed uses. Maybe even a 10" saw. What's the widest board you will cut?

BOB OLINGER
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Linda,

I have what looks like the very same saw (no slider). I use it to cut miters on baseboard, cove molding; also to make continuous cut-offs like stiles and rails (set a stop). I can't speak for making picture frames specifically. I have a good Frued blade and I love the performance of the saw. I'd highly recommend the DeWalt stand to set it on.

Jeff Bartley
03-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Linda,
I agree with Joe and Phillip. I've had the slider version of that saw for years now and love it. But like Joe said, ask yourself what is the widest board you'd ever cross-cut?
And whatever saw you buy be prepared to square up the saw and replace the blade with one appropriate for the type of work you plan to use it for.
Jeff

Linda Tetreault
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I doubt I'd cut anything larger than 10", I tend to go for the cheaper items & it usually bites me in the long run, hence the slider. But your experienced point of view was needed, so I will look at the 10" non-slider saws & it seems to be a good time to look at the Dewalts.

David Winer
03-24-2011, 3:03 PM
... I doubt I'd cut anything larger than 10", ... so I will look at the 10" non-slider saws & it seems to be a good time to look at the Dewalts.
My experience: Had a 10 inch miter saw for a few years but found that it would not serve for a number of jobs around the house. So, I gave that saw away and bought a DeWalt 12 inch (non-slider). Ahhh, much better to have. You never know when you will need greater capacity. Also, I recommend a table for the miter saw. I compared the DeWalt brand to Ridgid and found the latter far more versatile. Glad I got that one.

Will Rowland
03-24-2011, 3:27 PM
I have the same saw. Initially I was disappointed in the quality of the cuts, but since I upgraded to a Freud blade all the cuts have been perfect. There have been a few times I wished for more capacity, so I definitely would get the 12" non-slider over the 10" non-slider.

One advantage to the Dewalt 12" non-slider is that it is not super-heavy, so if you have to haul it around occasionally it won't kill your back (like, say, a Makita slider).

Linda Tetreault
03-24-2011, 9:43 PM
Thanks to all the info, I ordered a 12" non sliding saw & you saved me about $100, now I can buy more wood !!!!!!

Jeff Holoboski
03-25-2011, 3:30 AM
good choice.i have the same saw(non-slider),the larger capacity has come in handy.i recently bought the Ryobi miter saw stand and for the price its very sturdy with easy set up/take down.:)
Jeff