PDA

View Full Version : Best blades for DJ-20

Silas Smith
01-26-2005, 9:04 PM
Has anyone used carbide tipped blades vs. the standard steel? Also, will any 8" replacement blade fit in the DJ-20? There is a guy on ebay selling carbide tipped for $60 or I can get jessada for around $30. Any input would be appreciated. Side note: is it worth it to get the magnetic knife setting jig?

John Weber
01-26-2005, 9:35 PM
Silas,

I have carbide tipped and like them because they last a good long time between sharpenings, but HSS will give you a slightly better cut when sharp. I have a magentic guide, but don't use it. I've had good luck with a simple straight edge.

John

Mark Singer
01-26-2005, 9:58 PM
The knives are easy to set as John said with a straight edge. After you set them lower the outfeed table a very slight amount...the cutter head is cutting scallops. I sharpen my original blades on the Tormek with very good results. I rarely leave a machined edge unplaned by hand before glue up...A jointer plane or Jack is a great way to get perfect joints.

Silas Smith
01-26-2005, 11:22 PM
The knives are easy to set as John said with a straight edge. After you set them lower the outfeed table a very slight amount...the cutter head is cutting scallops. I sharpen my original blades on the Tormek with very good results. I rarely leave a machined edge unplaned by hand before glue up...A jointer plane or Jack is a great way to get perfect joints.
Mark, I've tried to use those plane things, but I cant figure out where the plug goes in?:rolleyes:

thomas prevost
01-27-2005, 9:02 AM
Has anyone had similar experiences with carbide blades? Carbide is brittle and does chip! Hard knots in woods such as hard maple and beech can chip the carbide blades. If this happens, most have to take them to a commercial sharpening facility. This has happened a few times on the 20" planer in a friends mill. Jim went back to HSS as they could be sharpened onsite.

Mark Singer
01-27-2005, 9:22 AM
Thomas,
All the mill shops in Laguna Canyon, the door makers , cabinet shops, and furniture makers seem to use HSS. I think you get a better cut than with carbide. I just sent out my 15" planer kives and it cost $45 to sharpen. I think that is about half the cost of replacement knives. The 8" DJ 20's I do myself.

Ted Shrader
01-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Silas -

I stick with HSS for the reasons listed by Thomas and Mark. HSS gives you a nice cut, is fairly forgiving when it encounters a knot, easily sharpened and not as expensive.

Measure the size of the knives in your machine now. I think they are <sup>11</sup>/<sub>16</sub>" x 8" x <sup>1</sup>/<sub>8</sub>".

Ted