PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox 8" jointer?

Greg Urwiller
03-23-2011, 9:46 PM
Right now I have a old Craftsman 6" jointer, and I really have to say it doesn't do a bad job. I've never really been dissatisfied with it. But now that I'm setting up my basically "new" shop, I feel I've got pretty much all the "main" tools I need. But, I'd really like a newer and bigger jointer, namely an 8" model. CL has a Shop Fox 8" jointer listed, I'm assuming it's a W1741 model, for $675. I've seen the same jointer listed a couple of different times before. No idea why it hasn't sold, seems like it should be a good jointer. Is this a good choice? Thought I'd call him, take a look at it, maybe offer $600? Seem reasonable, anything I should look for? Thanks. Greg

david brum
03-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I have one of those jointers. Mine performs perfectly. It's a big step up from a 6" jointer, for sure.

The classic things to look for are clean tables and coplanar tables. I would look elsewhere if it were really rusty. It's a good deal, but not that good. I would also bring an accurate, long straight edge and check that the tables are on the same plane. You don't want a hump or dip in the tables. If those things check out, you should be OK.

Also be aware that hearing a loud bump after shutting down the machine is normal for these units.

michael case
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
It a good price if its pretty new and in good shape. This is essentially the same jointer as the Grizzly G0490 which sells new for $950.00 plus $150.00 for shipping. I have one and like everyone else here at the Creek I'm real happy with it. If its in good shape and you can get for $600.00 I'd say thats a decent deal.