PDA

View Full Version : sharpening guide

Stephen Sebed
04-14-2003, 5:47 PM
I have been trying to sharpen my planes and chisels by hand. I have noticed that I am not holding the blade at the correct angle all of the time. Is there a guide that I could build easily, to help me with this?

Thanks

Tom Scott
04-14-2003, 11:42 PM
I have seen a few shop-made blade holders for sharpening, but I can't remember where...probably on the now-defumk Pond.
As cheap as manufactured honing guides are, though, I would suggest saving some time an consider purchasing one. Here is a link to one possible site Honing Guides (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=43078&category=1,43072&ccurrency=2&SID=) .

I've heard good things about these, but I've always free-hand sharpened. Don't give on free-handing it. Your bevel doesn't have to be at the "perfect" or "optimum" angle, just close. It takes a little practice (and concentration) to keep your wrist and arm in the same position while honing, but it sure speeds the process when you don't have to worry about setting up the jig.

But, there's definitely no shame in using a honing guide...especially if it gives you more confidence as you are starting out. Maybe someone else will have some first hand knowledge of them t help you out.

John Schreiber
04-15-2003, 10:27 AM
The learning curve for sharpening without a guide was too steep for me. I kept rounding edges and messing up bevels. As personal flaws go, using a honing guide doesn't even make my top 100, but I do admire those who can freehand a bevel.

I gave up on freehand sharpening and now I use the Lee Valley guide which is very nice. (As nice as it is I still have to check frequently to make sure the blade is still square on the guide.)

For quick tuneups of the microbevel I don't use the guide though. With just a few strokes each at 600, 1000 and 2000 grit I'm back to scary sharp in seconds