PDA

View Full Version : A HUNK of mahogany!!! Thanks, Rob Culver!

John Keeton
03-23-2011, 9:06 PM
I have turned a few tool handles for Rob Culver for his Neander habits and we have communicated some about his dive into the vortex. He is getting a Delta lathe here in a few weeks.

Rob is in the Virgin Islands and two or three days ago, he emailed me that he was sending me a piece of mahogany beam. So, when I got home this evening, there is a box waiting for me, and this is what was inside. There is some great character to this piece! Some weathering, a few bug holes, but it is solid. 6" x 6" x 20"!!! Talk about some nice vase forms!

Nearly $50 shipping! Creekers are special folks. Thanks, Rob!!

Nate Davey
03-23-2011, 9:13 PM
That's a nice piece of Mahagony. Wonder what stories it has to tell. Looks a bit weathered.

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 9:20 PM
That's neat! You help get a guy addicted to turning, and he sends you a giant hunk of wood for ruining his savings?

Donny Lawson
03-23-2011, 9:26 PM
John, I've seen your talent and I cannot wait to see what you make out of this piece. It looks like it has great potential.

patrick stein
03-23-2011, 9:30 PM
very nice John,

looking forward to your artistic vision should be awesome.

patrick

Roger Chandler
03-23-2011, 9:32 PM
Woo hooo! A 20" piece of Mahogany will make a beautiful lamp, John! :D I know this from personal experience!

Baxter Smith
03-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Looks like an interesting piece. If only it could talk!

Ron Stadler
03-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Looks really nice John, sure looks like it will have a lot of character from the looks of the outside.

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 11:51 PM
That'a a good looking chunk of wood, can't wait to see what's been lurking in there all of these years. Whatever it is, I bets it's getting anxious to be let out of there.

Dan

Tim Thiebaut
03-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Creekers are special folks. Thanks, Rob!!

They truely are John, and you are right up there as one of the most generous! I have some very cool things to post soon...I hope its soon I am excited to show you and everyone, just waiting on one last thing to get here! Anyway, I have turned some of my best work so far recently with some of the wood that you sent me John, I cant wait for you to see it!

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow - great looking chunk of wood! Can't wait to see what you create out of it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Can't wait to see what JK comes up with. That is a hunk of wood.

Tony De Masi
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Ok John. It's been about 15 hours since you posted this. Turn anything out of it yet????????

Tim Rinehart
03-24-2011, 1:08 PM
John, I can only guess at the number of pen blanks you'll get from that piece!!;)
Like others, can't wait to see what comes of that piece and the finish you give it. I'm sure it will have some rich colors to show off.
Very nice gesture on Rob's part! He sent it to someone who will do it justice, I'm sure.

Steve Vaughan
03-24-2011, 3:14 PM
You'll come up with some pretty cool projects I'm sure. Mahogany is one of my favorites to work with, and to have a piece like that, man, that is just way too cool! Be sure to keep us posted!

Robert Culver
03-27-2011, 12:59 AM
HAHAHA thats great I did send it to the right guy thats for sure. Thanks for your kind words this place has became a home for me and all they guys here have been great.Enojoy it and im really interested in seeing whats inside.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 7:25 AM
Rob, rest assured this piece will be the source of more than one turning!! I do think at least one very nice vase form will come of it, though. This will push the limit of my articulated Monster rig! Thanks, again!