PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Steady

John M. Smith
03-23-2011, 8:16 PM
I 've seen bowl steadies made with 3 or 4 wheels. I am in the process of building one for an upcoming project and was wondering if 3 or 4 wheels make a difference. Is one better than the other and why ?

Thanks
John

Steve Mawson
03-23-2011, 9:20 PM
I use four just because that was the plan I used. Works pretty good but have never tried a 3.

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 9:35 PM
Either should give you a tremendous amount of support. I believe some people favor the three wheeled designs to allow for laser guides on hollowing rigs. I've got a four wheeled Nicol steady, and it works great with my monster rig and laser.

John M. Smith
03-23-2011, 9:48 PM
Thanks. Guess I'll go with first thought and use 4 wheels.

Thanks
John

Johnny England
03-23-2011, 9:54 PM
I have started gathering material to build one myself. My intention is to build it so I can use either three or four wheels. If I am thinking right three wheels will let you use it on a smaller diameter turning than what you could get the four wheels on. And four wheels would give more support on larger turnings. Johnny

Jon Nuckles
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I have my ring made, but am waiting for my monster rig to arrive before deciding the number and placement of my wheels. The monster is supposed to arrive tomorrow, per the USPS, so I should know soon what the design will be. (Yeah, that's a stealth gloat.:p:D)