PDA

View Full Version : Question about DNA

patrick stein
03-23-2011, 7:56 PM
hi everyone,

how long should a piece as big as 14by 13 and 1and half inches thick(the maple pot)stay in the dna?
if I understand the next step would be wrapping in news paper and then cut the top out.
Now what would be the next step?

thanks patrick:confused:

Jack Gaskins
03-23-2011, 8:01 PM
I soak all my roughouts in DNA, the biggest I can get in my bucker it 11.5" dia. I usually go 2 days. I have accidently left a few in for 3 weeks! DOHH! I would say 4 days. You can leave it in as long as you want it shouldnt hurt it any. After I take my bowls out, I let them dry for an hour then wrap in about 6 or 10 sheets of news paper, date it, cut about a 2 or 3 inch hole in top and stick it out of the way for about 3 months. When you first start out with you end up rough out blanks for a few months until the first ones you did are dry enough to turn. I have about 60 bowls lying around that are still in paper and half of them are ready to turn but since I SUCK at SANDING it takes me 10 times longer than the average turner to finish one dang bowl.

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 8:03 PM
I soak my roughouts for at least 24 hours... longer if I forget they're in there. I've started letting them flash dry for about 20 minutes then painting them with anchorseal on the outside. Works for me.

patrick stein
03-23-2011, 8:43 PM
thanks guys,

jack me and sanding are not friends either.

david what is flash drying?

patrick

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 8:51 PM
I just meant that I leave it out of the DNA for a little while untll the surface looks dry before I paint on the anchorseal.

Lee Koepke
03-23-2011, 9:02 PM
all this reminds me I have left a rough-out in the dna for the last few days .... one more day i reckon wont hurt ....

Donny Lawson
03-23-2011, 9:16 PM
I was leaving mine in the DNA for a few days but a friend of mine told me it would work better if I only left it in for a few hours. I tried it on a green bowl blank a few weeks ago and left it in for about 3hrs or so and let it dry for about an hour. I wrapped it up and in less than 3 weeks it was dry and ready to finish. It worked great.

patrick stein
03-23-2011, 9:16 PM
David thats what I thought.

thanks patrick

Lee Koepke
03-23-2011, 9:38 PM
my unofficial moisture meter tells me that almost 50% of the water gets gone after the DNA bath, so take that for what its worth !!!