PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Setup, Headstock or Tailstock confusion

Chris Tsutsui
03-23-2011, 7:53 PM
I already have a few chucks. Albrecht 1/2", Albrecht 3/8", and a taiwanese Jacobs clone. I want to utilize these chucks on a oneway 2436.

The problem is I like the idea of securing the drill chucks on the headstock so that only the drill bit spins and not the wood work piece... So without thinking i put MT2 arbors on my chucks and thought I was good to go.

What I didn't think about was how to hold the piece of wood stationary on the tailstock side... I have a Stronghold chuck, but I don't know how it goes on the tailstock side unless there's an #3 MT arbor for it.

Is my best bet to just pick up a couple MT3 arbors that will connect my drill bit chucks with the tailstock and allow the drill bit chucks to stay stationary, while the wood piece spins? Is this safe?

I guess I can save the #2 MT arbors in case i want to use a drill chuck in the headstock to hold a round blank or something like that...

Any advice appreciated, Thanks

Dick Wilson
03-23-2011, 8:03 PM
Chris, I don't know why you prefer the bit in the headstock. The easiest and most accurate way is to put the turning in the chuck and put the Jacobs chuck and drill bit in the tail stock.

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 8:05 PM
I do it as Dick suggests, but there are adaptors that allow you to mount a chuck on the tailstock via MT... Don't know that I've seen #3MT. I think Craft supplies and other carry them.