PDA

View Full Version : Colossal Rosewood Hollow Form

David DeCristoforo
03-23-2011, 7:06 PM
This was turned from a section of an enormous rosewood log I was given. It is by far the most intimidating piece I have ever attempted. The special lathe and tooling I had to make was so huge and complex that it will take me a long time to get some pics of all of it to post here. Then there was the special tank and thousands of gallons of DNA and so much paper to wrap it in that I could have papered the whole town with it. But here is a picture of the turning sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where it will be on display until such time as someone can figure out how to get it down from there. (Don't even ask how it got up there in the first place! All I can tell you is that it involved extraterrestrials and you know how tweaky people can get when you start talking about them.)

I am really feeling honored to have my work so prominently displayed and even Mr Lincoln's descendants have refrained from complaining about their beloved Abe being obscured by a giant wooden pot. In fact one of them even offered to pay me to take it to their house where, if I understood their muttering correctly, It would provide a warming glow for a number of winters. For some reason, they also wanted me to bring a chain saw. I can only guess that they need the saw to clear some trees to make room for the turning. Isn't that sweet?

Here's another pic of the piece in front of the LM:

Doug W Swanson
03-23-2011, 7:15 PM
So which is it? A gigantic piece or a microscopic work of art?:D

Did you use a microscope to make it?!

John Keeton
03-23-2011, 7:21 PM
Nice HF, David, but I need to know where you got a penny that large!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Jim Burr
03-23-2011, 7:25 PM
I dropped that penny last week darn it!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-23-2011, 7:31 PM
My Heavens, That's the biggest penny I've ever seen. If I had it and combined it with mine, I could put in my 2 cents. Don't forget to post the hollowing tool you made for this one.
faust

David DeCristoforo
03-23-2011, 7:39 PM
"Don't forget to post the hollowing tool..."

OK, OK.... I'm really bored today. I admit it...

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 8:01 PM
You're a funny guy, and you must have really good eyes. Is that a sewing needle that you ground especially for this type of turning?

Jim Adkins
03-23-2011, 8:10 PM
David.....this just gets me to wondering if you saved the shavings??
Wouldn't that be enough to make a segmented piece of similar size??
enquiring minds in MO want to know.
Nice piece BTW
Jim

Brian Effinger
03-23-2011, 9:19 PM
What ever you do, don't sneeze. ;) :p :D

I think you might need a macro lens for your camera. Or a zoom, or something. :rolleyes:

Ron Stadler
03-23-2011, 9:22 PM
That was a great story, Aliens must have shrunk it down with there Shrink ray gun.

Baxter Smith
03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Not bad, but its missing your "steek"!

David DeCristoforo
03-23-2011, 11:33 PM
"...its missing your "steek"..."

Well I was going to try a finial for it but I need better glasses first!

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Somebody has too much time on his hands. :D

Could have saved that one for the first on next month, or are you just practicing???

Dan

Brian Effinger
03-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Somebody has too much time on his hands. :D

Could have saved that one for the first on next month, or are you just practicing???

Dan
Oh, I haven't even thought of that day, until now. Oooh boy! It might be best to avoid Double D's threads that day. :D

Fred Belknap
03-24-2011, 8:31 AM
:confused::confused::D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Ken Whitney
03-24-2011, 8:42 AM
Wall thickness? I'm guessing 1/128th.:)

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 8:48 AM
Very nice form on this one! I am particularly impressed that you turned it endgrain and was wondering if you had to use a captured hollowing system to help fight the rotational torque you encountered? Was also curious as to the finish - if it was sprayed or hand rubbed as it has a nice glow to it!

As mentioned - I am impressed and am quite sure this is sitting in a gallery somewhere with a price tag that is out of this world!

Looking forward to your next turning!

bob svoboda
03-24-2011, 8:52 AM
Honey, I shrunk the hollow form!

Russell Eaton
03-24-2011, 9:17 AM
Your hollowing tool looks too much like a Dental pick. Gives me the creeps. Nice form though.

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2011, 4:28 PM
"I ...was wondering if you had to use a captured hollowing system..."

Actually it was an articulated system. Here's a pic of me and the rig out in front of the LM. The really cool part is that the ET's made me look younger too!.