PDA

View Full Version : what size latex gloves??

Kevin Gregoire
03-23-2011, 6:52 PM
i see HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/homepage-top-sellers/pack-of-100-large-nitrile-gloves-37051.html) always has latex or nitrile gloves on sale and it would be nice to keep my hands clean during some projects in the shop but how do you know what size to buy?

can you just carefully pop open a box and try one on? do you ask someone in the store if you can do it? i would hate to guess and be stuck with a box of useless gloves.

and has anyone bought the nitrile gloves? are they as tough as they claim?

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_453.jpg

Alan Lightstone
03-23-2011, 7:51 PM
Gloves sizes vary by brand, type, box, phase of the moon, etc...

On a daily basis I find gloves in the same box that fit differently. There is no quality control with them. I've learned what glove size I am for each manufacturer's gloves, and glove type. They vary for me from 7-7.5 for sterile gloves, and medium to large for non-sterile nitrile or latex gloves. Also, powder-free gloves fit more snuggly than powdered gloves.

In the OR, nitrile gloves tend to run on the small size. Not sure if that's the case for HF gloves.

They're pretty tough, but any glove can be punctured.

Bruce Page
03-23-2011, 8:00 PM
My advice would be to get the next size larger than whatever size your hands are. I have big hands so I buy the XL gloves. Sometimes they fit well and sometimes they’re snug, but they’re cheap enough that I don’t loose any sleep over it.

Myk Rian
03-23-2011, 8:14 PM
Just go to their regular gloves rack, try them on, buy the nitrile size that fits.

Jeff Monson
03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I have average size hands and use large in nitrile gloves. They are awesome for finishing work.

johnny means
03-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Ahh, what does it matter. Their just going to rip the moment you put them on anyway:D

Mike Heidrick
03-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Nitrile is very much worth the extra $ to me. They are much more resistant to ripping and really hold up to chemicals a lot better IMO. I use size large with an average hand size.

Chris Matus
03-24-2011, 7:55 AM
I get nitrile gloves at Costco. Works out to be about the same price as HF but the quality is better. They are in the Pharmacy section.

Kent A Bathurst
03-24-2011, 8:07 AM
My advice would be to get the next size larger than whatever size your hands are. I have big hands so I buy the XL gloves. Sometimes they fit well and sometimes they’re snug, but they’re cheap enough that I don’t loose any sleep over it.

Bingo - get a size bigger than you would think. My hands are large-ish, and I get the XXL size - basically an exact fit, still snug - not loose at all, and I can get them on + off w/o too much trouble.

Dave Gaul
03-24-2011, 8:31 AM
My hands are not HUGE, but I have "sausage fingers" as my daughters say! I find the HF large nitrile gloves fit just right...

If you buy a box of the large and they don't fit you, I'm sure you could find someone who could use them.

Cary Falk
03-24-2011, 9:29 AM
Buy the blue ones the other ones disolve when you are applying stains and stuff. I wear a large and I would say I have average size hands. I wear large gloves all the other times except the Lamont leather work gloves you see at Costco which I wear a Med, because I like a snug fit on them.

tyler mckee
03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I dont know if they sell them at HF but the best gloves i have found are the "thickster" gloves, they last about 10X longer than any other nitrile gloves ive tried. I get them at an automotive store, really worth it if you have a lot of finishing, or wrenching on something as they actually last.

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 5:25 AM
I like nitrile gloves and tend to agree get a size larger than you think.

When it comes to solvent and disposable gloves there are a lot of interesting facts as to what to use in what situation. Lee Valley's catalog (and I assume the website) has a lot of good info geared toward woodworkers about what works and doesn't with what chemicals.

Callan Campbell
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Plus 1 on Van Huskey's post. I use Nitrile, XL, and no, the sizes never run exactly the same from brand to brand, even in the same box sometimes[LOL] With a quick dunk in mineral spirits, you'll see Latex gloves do some interesting things, like get baggy or swell up. Nitrile works for me with all that I handle in the way of finishes and solvents. I keep boxes in the garage, in the shop, and a small box in one of my cars in case of roadside work . They're also nice to wear under regular gloves in cold weather since they help to keep your hands warm. I only use the powder glove versions since my hands sweat easily, esp. in the summer with working hard.

Carl Babel
03-25-2011, 4:16 PM
I agree with most of what the others have said - glove sizes vary (yes, even within the same box)! The nice thing, is that nitrile (like latex) gloves stretch. I have large hands - often times, even XXL leather gloves don't fit well. But the large nitrile gloves stretch and fit (even if they are a little tight).

I haven't had any problems with puncturing or dissolving, but I haven't tried HF brand, either - I usually buy bulk at Costco.

Pat Barry
03-25-2011, 9:21 PM
We use these at work all the time and the best ones are smaller rather than larger. You get a nice tight fit, better feel. Sure, the fingers can be a little short that way, but they stretch like crazy. If your fingers start getting numb, take them off though. You can't see your fingers discolored thru the blue color.

Kevin Gregoire
03-25-2011, 11:16 PM
if anyone has some gloves i would pay for postage if you would mail me one or more if you have a few sizes?
just put it in an envelope and mail it, but please be sure to use a marker and put the size on the glove as you
take it out of the box.

that would work best and then i can get it right the first time when i go to buy a box at HF

please let me know if anyone is interested in doing that and i can paypal fifty cents to cover a stamp.