PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak HF

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 6:03 PM
I got a shipment of assorted Australian timbers toward the end of last year, and this sweet little blank was in the box. I'd never turned this stuff before, but the medullary rays are amazing(Think QSWO on steroids!). Somebody on here was asking about sheoak recently(Richard?), so here's what I did with the piece I had.

It's about 6 inches in diameter and finished with shellac and multiple coats of WOP. The finial is African blackwood.

Not my best effort on a consistent wall thickness as it thickens up considerably near the bottom... You can't tell by looking, but it feels funny when you pick it up.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Roger Chandler
03-23-2011, 6:18 PM
That is a pretty piece! I like the way you curved the finial up out of the opening, and the wood is certainly a beautiful specimen. I see you have your finial about 1/32nd inch at the narrowest....:D:p .......sorry David, I digress ....:o

You deserve rave reviews on this........a very nice work here, and I am sure a lot of time and creativity was expended to get such a wonderful turning. Thank you for showing this to us!

John Keeton
03-23-2011, 6:28 PM
David, is this the natural color??!! Amazing if so, and so very beautiful. Well done, and the finial is unique - and, very attractive!

Jim Burr
03-23-2011, 6:36 PM
I'm not sure if it's the nature of the wood, the pictures or all the drugs, but the finish seems spotty...I know you know that I know that you know better. Shape is really cool. I'm with Roger on the opening and transition...very very well done. Cool finial...fits the piece well...3 thumbs up!!

Fred Belknap
03-23-2011, 7:08 PM
David that is a nice piece. You really nailed it with the finial and the bowl. Is that a bug hole in the side? :)

David DeCristoforo
03-23-2011, 7:30 PM
Now that's a fine looking piece! I especially like the unique finial. Also the way the top of the form sweeps up to the collar. Very very nice!

Bill Bolen
03-23-2011, 8:15 PM
Beautiful piece David. I love the way the form flows into and through the finial. The depth of color in the piece is very striking also..Bill...

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 8:21 PM
David, is this the natural color??!! Amazing if so, and so very beautiful. Well done, and the finial is unique - and, very attractive!

Thanks, John. Yep, that's the color it came with. I would say turning it is a bit like the American oaks that I've tried, but that's about where the similarities end. It doesn't stink like the pin oak I've turned, and the ray flecks are off the charts. My photography really does a poor job of capturing the beauty of the wood itself.

I'm not sure if it's the nature of the wood, the pictures or all the drugs, but the finish seems spotty...I know you know that I know that you know better. Shape is really cool. I'm with Roger on the opening and transition...very very well done. Cool finial...fits the piece well...3 thumbs up!!

Jim, if you're seeing three thumbs, it's definitely the drugs.:cool: I see what you're saying about the finish, but I can assure you that it's my photography that sucks... The finish is as smooth as a babies backside.:D

David that is a nice piece. You really nailed it with the finial and the bowl. Is that a bug hole in the side? :)

Thanks, Fred. I'm not sure if that's a critter hole or a small area of rot... There are a few more areas on the piece like that, but I chose to leave them rather than end up with something the size of DD's colossal rosewood piece.:D

Jim Adkins
03-23-2011, 8:22 PM
You nailed it David, I really like the flow from the form up thru the finial.
Nice Finial, nice finish on a very nice piece of wood. Well done.

Darren Jamieson
03-23-2011, 8:23 PM
David you have been showing some great stuff lately and this one goes right with the rest. Fantastic color, smooth rolling shape with a very attractive finial design make this one a pleasure to look at. If the hollowing is a little thick on the bottom it could be because the opening is to small to get a tool in:)

Eugene Wigley
03-23-2011, 8:46 PM
David, I really like the form on this. The color and grain are also very nice. Thanks for posting this.

Ron Stadler
03-23-2011, 9:04 PM
Man I like this one, love the shape of the Hf , and the finial is BEE YUTE A FULL. Just Gorgeous Dave, keep up the good work.

Jon Nuckles
03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
The wood is nice, but I really like the form and finial. Together they remind me of either an old oil lamp or the buildings from the Jetsons cartoon. I know you said you are just getting around to posting pictures of pieces you have turned over a while, but your output of quality pieces is still impressive.

Baxter Smith
03-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Great job on the form and finial but I find the color stunning. It seems to take a great turning up a notch!

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 11:37 PM
This is a wonderful piece all the way around, finial is very well united with the form, love the wood.

Dan

Michael James
03-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Nice job, as always, on this piece. As mentioned, the finial actually looks like it was designed as part of the piece rather than an add on. The finish does look degraded from your norm for some reason. I see your note that is is the photo fx.
Keep em coming.
mj

Kathy Marshall
03-24-2011, 2:29 AM
Beautiful piece David!

bob svoboda
03-24-2011, 9:01 AM
Really like this one.

Richard Madden
03-24-2011, 9:15 AM
Excellent job, David. Everything about it fits. Your photography is looking great too. Gradient background??

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 9:51 AM
Wow! This one is stunning! Love the form and the wood is amazing! Very interesting design for the finial! Lots going on as far as detail work - looks pretty good to me! Thanks for sharing!

steven carter
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Really nice piece of wood, and a great job on the form and the finial!

Russell Eaton
03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
David, I wonder when you sleep? You just KEEP posting INCREDIBLE projects!

Tim Rinehart
03-24-2011, 1:11 PM
David,
That has to be one of the nicest pure forms I've seen in quite a while. You nailed everything very well and I like the bead details on the finial. This has the look of a rich old piece...it's a special to behold, regardless of any wall thickness issues. You really did this especially well in my opinion.

Cathy Schaewe
03-24-2011, 5:26 PM
I really like this - the wood is neat, and I love the way the form and the finial meld together.
I'm thinking JK is right, and you do have a lathe in the hospital!

Rich Aldrich
03-24-2011, 7:59 PM
Really nice piece of wood and very nice work. The finish is great.

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2011, 8:03 PM
David that is a beauty. I do like the form and the finial. Color of the wood and finish is beautiful.

David E Keller
03-24-2011, 8:30 PM
Thanks folks!

Excellent job, David. Everything about it fits. Your photography is looking great too. Gradient background??

Yep... It's the same one that Steve S. recommended a while back. I can't remember the source, but I noticed that Choice Woods carries a gradient background now. I'm not much of a photographer, but the background really helps dress up the photos.