PDA

View Full Version : Which Grizzly table saw to buy?

Ben Duske
03-23-2011, 5:32 PM
I am in the market for my first cabinet saw. I have decided to buy a Grizzly but am unsure which one I should buy. The 2 saws I have narrowed it down to are the G0691 and the G1023RLX. Looking at the specs they are almost the exact same saw except for the Leeson motor on the 691. Can someone please give me some input on this??

David Prince
03-23-2011, 6:03 PM
I have the 0690 and find it meets all of my current needs. A couple of the selling points for me were the Leeson motor and the dust chute on the right side.

Cary Falk
03-23-2011, 6:13 PM
Here is what I think of my 1023RL. I have had it for over 7 months and still love it. I hear the 690 is nice also.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?147080-My-G1023RL-review&highlight=g1023rl

Ben Duske
03-24-2011, 8:16 AM
Cany anyone tell me the difference between the 2?

Cary Falk
03-24-2011, 9:22 AM
G0690 - 3 v-belts(old Unisaw design), Asian made Leeson motor, no dust shroud, slightly different fence. dust hookup on the right(4" collects the cabinet)
G1023RL - new Serpentine belt design, no name Asian motor, dust shroud, Shop fox classic fence, dust hookup on the back(4" that collects cabinet and shroud)

Cody Colston
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
OOPs, my bad. I checked and see that the RLX also has a riving knife.

I'll defer to the other replies.

Terry Beadle
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I've had my 1023 for several years and I'm really satisfied. It's an older version with no rivening knife but it sure hasn't slowed me down. I run a Forest blade in it and have great results. Has the Beismeyer knock off fence and that works great too. I think I paid just a little over $800 delivered when purchased.

Jim O'Dell
03-24-2011, 1:58 PM
Cary nailed the differences for you...all except color. :p I have the 691, little over a year now and I love it. I recently helped a fellow Creeker, Adrian, assemble his new 1023. It is also a very nice saw. Haven't talked to him to see how he likes the blade shroud for dust pick up, but it looked like it would work very well. Fit and finish on both are nice. It is possible that the Leeson (made in China) motor is more efficient, if the numbers on Grizzly's web site are correct, but both will spin a blade. I still think I would go with the 691 for me. Having the dust pick up on the right side of the saw was a big thing for me. It cuts down one more 90 degree angle at the saw. The 691 also has has this pick up on a separate door which made it very easy to enlarge to 6" and not disturb the integrity of the saw's cabinet. Another big feature for me. I would like to have the blade shroud, but I've seen no problems with my set up collecting dust. I think I need to increase the number of air intake slots on the motor cover for better flow. Jim.

Cary Falk
03-24-2011, 2:12 PM
It is possible that the Leeson (made in China) motor is more efficient, if the numbers on Grizzly's web site are correct, but both will spin a blade. I still think I would go with the 691 for me. .

The numbers on Grizzly's website are wrong. I don't remember what they are from the motor tag but they were in line with the Leeson. I can look them up if you want. I think the manual has them correct.

Rick Bunt
03-24-2011, 5:15 PM
I've been "stalking" (lusting, drooling, and saving...) both of these saws for a while and also noticed the inconsistency Cary noted about the motor and circuit size on the web site for the G1023RL. The short "Specification Sheet" lists a 30A circuit, but if you read the manual, it says 15A circuit (220v) for all versions but the 5HP G1023RLWX, which does say 30A circuit.

If one goes by the data in the manuals, the motors draw 14A for the G1023RL (15A circuit recommended) and 12.8A for the G0690/1 (20A circuit recommended). So it seems to me they're probably similar motors (or at least close in efficiency). Though I don't understand the different circuit size recommendations unless that's just editing issues and such in the manuals.

Ben Duske
03-24-2011, 6:12 PM
Cary nailed the differences for you...all except color. :p I have the 691, little over a year now and I love it. I recently helped a fellow Creeker, Adrian, assemble his new 1023. It is also a very nice saw. Haven't talked to him to see how he likes the blade shroud for dust pick up, but it looked like it would work very well. Fit and finish on both are nice. It is possible that the Leeson (made in China) motor is more efficient, if the numbers on Grizzly's web site are correct, but both will spin a blade. I still think I would go with the 691 for me. Having the dust pick up on the right side of the saw was a big thing for me. It cuts down one more 90 degree angle at the saw. The 691 also has has this pick up on a separate door which made it very easy to enlarge to 6" and not disturb the integrity of the saw's cabinet. Another big feature for me. I would like to have the blade shroud, but I've seen no problems with my set up collecting dust. I think I need to increase the number of air intake slots on the motor cover for better flow. Jim.

Jim,
Seeing as you have had your hands on both of the saws I am looking at could you compare the fences for me? I have had my hands on the Shop Fox fence and it is extremely smooth. I have not used seen or touched the grizzly fence. Is there a big difference between them?

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 5:16 AM
I have always considered the 690/1023 TS a conundrum in the Grizzly line. I can help but wonder if the 690 series saws were meant to replace or be more or less expensive than the 1023 line by a couple of hundred dollars. It seems like they should have given the 690 series all the benefits of the 1023 and more and priced it a little higher and make it the clear top of the line Grizzly 10" cabinet saw. There line of bandsaws are perfectly poised to cause budget creep but the table saw line is nowhere near as linear.

Jim O'Dell
03-25-2011, 2:31 PM
Jim,
Seeing as you have had your hands on both of the saws I am looking at could you compare the fences for me? I have had my hands on the Shop Fox fence and it is extremely smooth. I have not used seen or touched the grizzly fence. Is there a big difference between them?

Ben, I didn't use the 1023R saw, but handling the fence, I'd say there are a few differences between them that make the decision on which is better about as easy as deciding which of the two saws are better. There are some slight differences, but both should do the job. I can't remember for sure, but I think the pads the fence rides the tube on are flat, more like the Biese fence pads. The 690/1 fence uses round buttons that the fence rides on that adjust in and out. It gives it more adjustment capabilities, but I really don't know if it is better or not. It was getting late when we got to the point of setting the fence on Adrian's 1023R, so I don't think we checked the face for flatness...a problem that several with the 690/1 fence have complained about. Mine is not flat either, I just haven't taken the time to true it up. I'll let the owners of the Shop Fox fence chime in with more accurate information on that part of the fence.
Personally, I'm thinking strongly about buying some longer rails for my Biese fence, put them on my 691, and adjust the rails on my Ridgid contractor saw so that the fence will swap back and forth without adjustments. I might try to replace the sides on the 691 fence first since that would definitely be cheaper. :D Jim.

Joseph McDade
04-12-2016, 2:40 AM
I spoke with a tech (not a salesperson..they don't have a clue) at Grizzly today as I'm in the same boat. My statement was, "I'm 58 and want to buy a saw I'll be happy with for the rest of my life." He said without question, go with the G1023 series; and preferably, the RLWX, if you can afford it. He said this for 2 reasons which hit home for me. The RLWX has 5HP vs 3HP and the RLWX has much more substantial trunions which will dramatically aid in the saw's repeatability. When you set this saw up to make a cut, you lock it down and it will repeat the same exact cut time after time after time due to the size, weight and shear mass of the trunions on which the blade housing rests. Vibration will not affect it as it is simply too heavy to be affected like lighter trunions will from vibration. That sold me on spending the extra bucks knowing at 59 years old, I will be spending the rest of my life with this baby. I want to love it as much at 75 as I do when I complete it's assembly. That's my two cents worth.

Keith Hankins
04-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Ok can's speak to one, but for the 1023, I used one for over 10 years and it was a great saw. I had the 1023slx with 7' rails. It did everything I asked and never lost alignment once set. I paid around 1200 for delivered and sold it for 800 a couple years ago. Only sold to upgrade to a 5hp ICS sawstop. Mine was before the riving knife days so that would have been real nice. Mine had just a griz label motor and it never failed.

Randy Red Bemont
04-12-2016, 11:57 AM
I've had the 1023RLX for about 2 years now. I would buy it again today if I needed another table saw. The fence is smooth and accurate. Dust collection is as good as any table saw I've ever owned or used. Plenty of power. You will be a happy camper if you purchase the 1023RLX. I also bought the mobile base and I can move it around with very little effort. It is a great saw.

Red

Bill Space
04-12-2016, 1:55 PM
Hi,

I have the 1023RLWX. One of the things that I liked over the G0690 was the single serpentine belt VS multiple V belts, which have to be matched in length when replaced.

I also liked the idea of the 5 HP motor. The HP is there if you need it, although in my case I rarely, if ever, work my saw that hard.

The fence that came with the saw is still in the box. I put my Unifence on the saw, as I like the features the Unifence offers...

Either of the two saws in question will perform equally well for you. I would buy the 1023 again in a heartbeat, but had I bought the 690 I am sure I would feel the same way about that saw as well.

Bill

Michael Cole
04-12-2016, 2:52 PM
I have the 1023, but have only had it a couple of weeks. So far I like it a lot. I really struggled with the decision between the two saws and until right at the end was leaning to the 690. I wish the 1023 had the dust port on the side as it would be easier for me to reach and I hear you don't have to got through the side door to put in the riving knife which would also be nice for me as I have a bad knee and it is difficult to get down and under. Otherwise I really like the 1023. It is a real pleasure to use.

Bill Space
04-12-2016, 3:29 PM
...and I hear you don't have to got through the side door to put in the riving knife which would also be nice for me as I have a bad knee and it is difficult to get down and under. Otherwise I really like the 1023. It is a real pleasure to use.

First I heard this comment...I have only had my riving knife out a couple times but always did it from the top. Are you sure you cannot do it from the top?

You got me questioning my memory now! Have to go and remove the riving knife now to make sure what I am saying is correct!

Edit: I just removed my riving knife from the top and put it back in. Total time maybe 20 seconds or less. Naturally had to remove my zero clearance insert so my hand could go down and release the riving knife clamp. Piece of cake...my saw is a couple years old. Is your newer one different in some way?

Bill

Cary Falk
04-12-2016, 4:02 PM
I have the 1023, but have only had it a couple of weeks. So far I like it a lot. I really struggled with the decision between the two saws and until right at the end was leaning to the 690. I wish the 1023 had the dust port on the side as it would be easier for me to reach and I hear you don't have to got through the side door to put in the riving knife which would also be nice for me as I have a bad knee and it is difficult to get down and under. Otherwise I really like the 1023. It is a real pleasure to use.

I have always removed the riving knife from the top. I don't know who started that rumor but I have heard it several times. To me it looks like the door on the side is for clearance for the dust shroud hose when you tilt the blade to 45. I love my G1023RL but I was playing with the fence on the 690 and think it is just a little bit smoother sliding up and down the rail.

Earl McLain
04-12-2016, 9:06 PM
Not to hijack--but seems to be part of the same discussion...Watching used TS ads for the past few years and again while reading this thread, it appears that there are two different series of G1023 table saws. The older series of which i've seen the majority be right tilt (late 1980's maybe?), and the newer series. Has the 1023 been an evolution to the current model, or did they revive an old number for some reason? Are the guts of the older and newer versions similar or completely different?

If this doesn't belong as part of this discussion, have the Mods let me know and i'll be happy to post a separate question. Thanks!!
earl

Michael Cole
04-12-2016, 9:37 PM
I will have to look into it tomorrow. I was just going by the manual "2. Raise the blade up all the way, then openthe right access door and locate the quickrelease lever (see Figure 41)." Maybe the quick release lever can be reached from above. I will look into that as it would be a lot easier for me.

Cary Falk
04-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Not to hijack--but seems to be part of the same discussion...Watching used TS ads for the past few years and again while reading this thread, it appears that there are two different series of G1023 table saws. The older series of which i've seen the majority be right tilt (late 1980's maybe?), and the newer series. Has the 1023 been an evolution to the current model, or did they revive an old number for some reason? Are the guts of the older and newer versions similar or completely different?

If this doesn't belong as part of this discussion, have the Mods let me know and i'll be happy to post a separate question. Thanks!!
earl

The old 1023(SL?) without the riving knife was a copy of the Unisaw design. I believe there was a right and left tilt version at one time. Around 2010 The 690 came out and it has the Unisaw design with a retrofitted riving knife. The 1023RL was completely redesigned from the ground up with a dovetailed way , riving knife and a serpentine belt. It would have made more sense to have the models swapped. I don't know why they did it that way.

scott spencer
04-12-2016, 10:09 PM
The old 1023(SL?) without the riving knife was a copy of the Unisaw design. I believe there was a right and left tilt version at one time. Around 2010 The 690 came out and it has the Unisaw design with a retrofitted riving knife. The 1023RL was completely redesigned from the ground up with a dovetailed way , riving knife and a serpentine belt. It would have made more sense to have the models swapped. I don't know why they did it that way.

I agree. About the only significant thing the new 1023 has in common with the old 1023 is the Shop Fox Classic fence. The underpinnings are completely different.

Rick Potter
04-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Assuming the OP bought a saw, he has now had 5 years to decide how he likes it.

Earl McLain
04-13-2016, 6:08 AM
I agree. About the only significant thing the new 1023 has in common with the old 1023 is the Shop Fox Classic fence. The underpinnings are completely different.

Thanks Cary & Scott. Yep, i've seen a few of the 1023-S's that were left tilt, but mostly have been righties. All that i've seen locally have had sellers that were "proud" in their pricing. I'd forgotten about the dovetailed ways in the current 1023's. The response is appreciated--i've been curious for too long.
earl

Bill Space
04-13-2016, 8:25 AM
Assuming the OP bought a saw, he has now had 5 years to decide how he likes it.

Yikes! Was Rick the first to notice that? I sure did't... 😡

Mike Ontko
04-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Yikes! Was Rick the first to notice that? I sure did't... 

This might be an old thread, but it's still relevant because both saws (G1023RL# and G0691) are still/currently available. One of these is on my shopping list, but I've been holding off on making any purchase decisions until after this year's Tent Sale event. I'm hoping I might get lucky there and the decision will be made for me :)

Bill Space
04-13-2016, 5:28 PM
This might be an old thread, but it's still relevant because both saws (G1023RL# and G0691) are still/currently available. One of these is on my shopping list, but I've been holding off on making any purchase decisions until after this year's Tent Sale event. I'm hoping I might get lucky there and the decision will be made for me :)

Granted there are many old threads that have value and can be found with a search.

But bringing back old very old threads can cause those of us who miss the original posting date to respond as if the question is current...which is of no use to the original poster of five years ago, and perhaps of less use than might have resulted from responses to a new post asking a current question.

Right or wrong, if I see a very old thread appear I tend to ignore it. I suspect others may as well. So I am just sayin' that posting a new thread is probably the best way to get maximum input from members here. After doing a search to glean what information may already be available in the archives, of course.

Bill

Ole Anderson
04-13-2016, 8:00 PM
At least folks at the Creek are gentle when old threads get brought up. The admins at some forums get downright nasty if you try to resurrect an old thread. Personally I don't have a problem with it.

Cary Falk
04-13-2016, 8:00 PM
Granted there are many old threads that have value and can be found with a search.

But bringing back old very old threads can cause those of us who miss the original posting date to respond as if the question is current...which is of no use to the original poster of five years ago, and perhaps of less use than might have resulted from responses to a new post asking a current question.

Right or wrong, if I see a very old thread appear I tend to ignore it. I suspect others may as well. So I am just sayin' that posting a new thread is probably the best way to get maximum input from members here. After doing a search to glean what information may already be available in the archives, of course.

Bill

And then you have that one person that says do a search because the questions been asked 50 thousand times before. It's a lose lose situation.