PDA

View Full Version : Em6000

Cody Colston
03-23-2011, 4:59 PM
I used Target USL once a long while back and liked it but I have not used the EM6000 version. I've ordered a gallon of it and intend to use it on a corner cabinet I built for a friend.

What I'd like to hear is comments from the experienced finishers here on how well the EM6000 compares to solvent-based NC lacquer...the overall look, application, durability, clean-up, etc.

I really want to transition to waterborne finishes but I also want to get the best finish possible on my projects. My woodworking has gotten pretty good but my finishes are still wanting. Other than the health and environmental aspects, is EM6000 (or any waterborne finish) a viable alternative for fine furniture?

Joe Chritz
03-24-2011, 1:52 AM
There is no "perfect" finish. I prefer waterbourne finishes to solvent base for a lot of reasons. Less hazards is one of the biggest ones. That said I have sprayed a fair amount of EM6000 and the predecessors and have been very happy with the results. It is well worth getting a gallon and trying it out.

For me it is my "go to" finish for almost everything.

Joe

Jim Becker
03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Honestly, I really like the EM6000, as well as its predecessors, USL and PSL before that. I can't really compare it with NC Lacquer since I've never used it nor will I ever used it. I went water borne from the start. The only other thing I spray is shellac, either as a sealer after dye or as "the" finish on some items. I have used what is now called EM2000 (the water borne alkyd varnish) and also had good results, although I like the EM6000 better for faster dry times and the "burn in" feature.

Matt Meiser
03-26-2011, 8:59 AM
I can't comment on a comparison between solvent and water based, but I can tell you that I had some USL left when EM6000 came out and they told me the differences were minor and that there was absolutely no problem switching from one to the other mid-project (as in between coats--I don't remember if they said they could be mixed in the gun.) I really couldn't tell the difference. So if you liked USL, my guess is that you'd like EM6000.

That said, I'm going to be using a lot more EM2000 going forward after trying that project. Its a water borne varnish, seems to be even tougher, and it colors wood just like oil-based varnish. I sprayed a maple desk with it that is indistinguishable from pieces previously made with an oil finish.

Larry Edgerton
03-26-2011, 9:14 AM
I've been using "Aqua Coat" WB finishes for some years now, and other than when they want a fatigued finish do not use solvent based lacquers any more.

It is hard to get the same depth with WB, but I have been finishing the product and then wiping in a coat of Tru-Oil at the end to gain depth/clarity with no adverse effects.