PDA

View Full Version : Black Oak Burl question

Michael Ginsberg
03-23-2011, 4:20 PM
I just receive two pieces of green, Black Oak burl. The seller suggested that I keep them submerged in water until I get a chance to turn. I haven't had much experience with burls except the cherry I had that cracked while waiting to turn. Right now the wood is Anchor sealed. I usually rough turn and soak in alchohol, dry and re-turn. Do any you have suggestions as to keeping these on "hold" until turning. Is Black Oak burl stable? Any special thoughts on hollowing compared to other non-burl woods?
Thanks.

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 4:58 PM
Although I've not tried it, I know several folks who've had good luck submerging burls in water for periods of weeks or months to prevent cracking. The anchor seal has worked for me for short periods, but I've had some cracking in pieces left for longer periods. I don't think of oak burl as being particularly stable. I think you're plan to rough, soak, and return is a good one. I've begun painting the outside of my roughouts with anchorseal after soaking... I seems to prevent some of the surface checking I had from time to time.

All of that is assuming the burls in question are real, but since you didn't post any photos...

Michael Ginsberg
03-23-2011, 5:04 PM
Thanks David. I bought them from Oregon Burls. Greg is a really good guy. They just arrived and haven't taken any pictures. I have to admit... I have not posted any pictures on SMC. Steve gave me step by step directions, but have not tried as of yet.

Michael

bob svoboda
03-23-2011, 5:08 PM
Sounds like you have a solid plan. Hope your invisible burls only develop invisible cracks :D

Michael Ginsberg
03-23-2011, 5:16 PM
David, The ebay number is 380318326258. There are some good pictures of the piece prior to waxing.
Michael