PDA

View Full Version : Crank Wheels for Table Saws

Stew Hagerty
03-23-2011, 4:14 PM
I have an older Craftsman TS. I've upgraded it with a 50" Vega Fence, a laminate topped extension table, and a brand new safety switch. There is one thing that I would still love to upgrade though. It has small little crank handles for blade elevation and tilt and I would really like to have larger wheel style used on most modern saws.

Now the question... Does anybody know of an aftermarket source for them? The saw works very well for be other than this.

Neil Brooks
03-23-2011, 4:25 PM
Grizzly sells a few styles of replacement. Likely one of them will fit yours.

Try this one (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Hand-Wheel-5-/H3472), for starters....

Neil Brooks
03-23-2011, 4:27 PM
Maybe a better link (http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=240470).

Cody Colston
03-23-2011, 4:29 PM
I used to have a Craftsman contractor saw and also wished for a bigger blade-tilt wheel. Just make sure that you have clearance below the underside of the table for a bigger wheel (and your knuckles) before you purchase one.

Gary Radice
03-23-2011, 8:10 PM
Other sources: Reid Supply, and Carr Lane.

sullivan mcgriff
03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
I had a similar saw, I made larger wheels out of plywood and bolted them to the existing handles, no pics, the saw died last year

mickey cassiba
03-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I had a similar saw, I made larger wheels out of plywood and bolted them to the existing handles, no pics, the saw died last year
Beat me to it sullivan, My only gripe with my old Delta was the size and feel of the wheels. Made my own using the hub of the originals. No pics though...no camera

Dave Gaul
03-24-2011, 8:03 AM
+1 On Reid Supply, they have a nice selection of hand wheels, from cheap plastic ones to pretty pricey metal ones...

Stew Hagerty
03-25-2011, 3:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I checked with Reid, Carr-Lane, and Grizzly, plus I called Iturra Design since I know they make crank wheels for Band Saws and here are the results (by the way, I decided on cast iron). Iturra only has 6" wheels available and I really want 8", although for what it's worth in the future, they are willing to machine their 6" wheels to suit the need. Reid & Carr-Lane both had to get me me special unbored wheel blanks that I would then have drill to for the center bore plus drill & tap for the handle and set screw, and they were a bit pricey. I ended up ordering two wheels and two handles from Grizzly. First, while I still have to drill the center bore as well as drill & tap the set screw, the handle hole is already drilled and tapped. And second, Grizzly's price ended up being about half the price of the other two. I'll load pictures after they get here and I get them installed.

Stew Hagerty
03-29-2011, 3:13 PM
Thanks again to everyone that commented. I drilled, tapped, and installed the new Grizzly wheels and all I can say is WOW!!! The difference is way beyond anythingI had hoped for. It works every bit as easy as any high-end saw I've ever used. I cannot more strongly recommend this modification to anyone with an older Craftsman saw or any saw with small crank handles in leiu of wheels.

I promised pics so here is the before and after:

Neil Brooks
03-29-2011, 3:14 PM
I put one on my Bosch 4100, and felt very much the same about the outcome.

It's functionally much better, and gives a slightly "luxurious" feel to the saw.

(Not very much) $$ well spent !

Angie Orfanedes
03-29-2011, 4:36 PM
Thank you, Stew. That's been bugging me for years....so I ordered some from Grizzly like you did.

Angie

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2011, 9:10 AM
Wow, snazzy hand wheels!

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Stew, that came out looking great. Wonderful job and result.