PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Pheasant Feathers to a pen blank

Scott Hussey
03-23-2011, 3:57 PM
Hey everyone,

After seeing some of the cool looking pheasant feather pens that some guys around here produce, I wanted to make one for my local upcoming Pheasant's Forever club banquet to auction off. I have tried a couple different ways of attaching pheasant feathers to a Wall Street II pen blank(fishing line, spray adhesive) and frankly they all look like crap!

I have done casting before for pens and I have that process down, but I'm not getting the result I want as I attach the feathers.

Would someone who has done it successfully be willing to share their process with me. I have asked a couple guys on another forum focused specifically on pens and I haven't gotten much feedback.

I don't want to make these to sell, just for personal use and to auction 1 off at our club event so I don't plan on competing with anyone's business.

Thanks in advance if anyone is willing to share,

Scott

Jim McFarland
03-23-2011, 4:45 PM
Google "Shane Whitlock feather casting" for one tutorial on how to cast feather pens. I've never tried it -- found it easier to buy John Underhill's blanks! JohnU on IAP

Dan Hintz
03-23-2011, 4:48 PM
The only method I've ever seen was using fly fishing line wrapped a few turns at each end.

Jim Burr
03-23-2011, 4:50 PM
P.M. sent.