PDA

View Full Version : Help designing a display box base

Dan Ashlin
03-23-2011, 3:45 PM
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if I could get some insight into how to build an idea I've had for a while. I've had some pretty good success selling display cases to statue collectors online made out of cast acrylic and engraved with whatever they want. They turn out looking really really cool and I've been thinking of trying to do one with an edge lit led base. I'm just racking my brain with trying to find a way to make them not only cost effective, but look nice too. Basically, the lights would have to run around the perimeter of the base but also be hidden so its not just a bunch of wires and stuff glued to the top of a wooden base. any ideas at all would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Josh Richard
03-23-2011, 7:20 PM
SuperbrightLEDs(.com) might have something you could fit into a base. Look at the bars/strips, a base could be made to hold them. I looked at then for a class project, but choose to use basic components.

Steve Clarkson
03-23-2011, 9:32 PM
Dan,

Maybe if you post a picture of your display cases, people might have some better design suggestions for you.

George D Gabert
03-24-2011, 8:49 AM
If you hollow out the bottom of the base (all or just where you want the wires). Dill the LED holes where you want. Push LED's from bottom. Wire from bottom. Cover bottom with piece of felt to hide wires.

Done