PDA

View Full Version : New Clamps from Bessey

Tom Hintz
03-23-2011, 3:28 PM
I have an exclusive first look at the new line of Bessey clamps that should be hitting stores in mid April or so.

Visit Tom’s profile for a link to his homepage.

glenn bradley
03-23-2011, 3:47 PM
Sweet. They're like Uniklamps (one of my favorites) on steroids.

Chris Friesen
03-24-2011, 1:52 AM
Gotta say, your "review" reads like a paid advertisement. For a supposedly impartial review, a phrase like "...you have to ask yourself why would you not go with the leading name in clamps?" is a bit sketchy.

Also, given that pretty much everyone knows about the REVO clamps, is there really anything to say other than "It's a smaller REVO, it works just like you'd expect."?

Russell Sansom
03-24-2011, 2:39 AM
Reads like an advertisement.

glenn bradley
03-24-2011, 7:09 AM
Wow, tough crowd.

Dave Gaul
03-24-2011, 7:26 AM
I love Tom's site & his reviews. I have made several purchases based on his information. I have also not chosen to buy items based on what I saw in his reviews & videos. Nothing like getting see someone use a product you might be interested in.

Thank you Tom!

Mike Heidrick
03-24-2011, 7:37 AM
Thanks Tom for alerting us to these clamps. First I have heard of them. Price seems somewhat close to full weight models on sale so I will prob not pick these up without a sale. Prob why I do not own a UniKlamp either. My first impression from the video was lower quality feet and jaw covers and they had a bunch of those orig red handles to use up. I will try and check them out in person. Thanks again.

Tom Hintz
03-24-2011, 9:07 AM
Thanks Tom for alerting us to these clamps. First I have heard of them. Price seems somewhat close to full weight models on sale so I will prob not pick these up without a sale. Prob why I do not own a UniKlamp either. My first impression from the video was lower quality feet and jaw covers and they had a bunch of those orig red handles to use up. I will try and check them out in person. Thanks again.
Remember that the prices in the review are guestimates. Once they get into distribution the market could very well push those numbers down some. That has been the trend anyway with new products I have looked at before.
As close as I can tell and I had them side-by-side, the jaw covers appear to be the same deal as on the full-on REVO's.

David Weaver
03-24-2011, 9:21 AM
Reads like an advertisement.

Doubt it's unintentional.

it's unclear on the site whether the reviews are compensated (which wouldn't be a review) and whether or not the reviewer keeps the tools.

I may come across like a cynic, but the web is full of "blogs" and "reviews" that extol the virtues of various tools only to be ad farms and the manufacturers seem to love stealth advertising - probably because it's a lot cheaper than buying magazine advertising.

Makes me very wary of anything where someone doesn't state up front what their incentive is or if and how they are compensated for their thoughts.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
a phrase like "...you have to ask yourself why would you not go with the leading name in clamps?" is a bit sketchy.
Different wording works for different audiences. On average I expect different brands to have different performance characteristics and tolerances. I have no experience with Bessey clamps (or this type of clamp in general), but, I usually hear good things about Bessey clamps.

I find these types of reviews useful in that they provide more detail than the usual sales literature and I have found this particular site useful for exactly that. I prefer a comparative article when I can find it, however...

On a totally different view of things, Tom sure does a good job with the photos and the words... He writes well. His language is flowery.

Mike Heidrick
03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
As close as I can tell and I had them side-by-side, the jaw covers appear to be the same deal as on the full-on REVO's.

Tom, the Little foot on the bar that holds the work off the bar looks much different. I am not a huge fan of the jaw covers - they always seem to slip off without mod for me. I am still a Jorgy guy.

Side note to teh group - you can find deals on revos and the vario revos at sears too - they are branded craftsman and a bit darker red but have bessey tags.

As to Tom getting reimbursed - I am glad he does. Keeps him working and bringing more info to us. I am confident I can make up my own opinion and his "advert comments" do not change my ability to do so. IMO, Amongst his comments are his feelings about the tools and he sums them up tactfully and promotes the products in the the light he feels they will best perform at.

He makes a good point too - I do not need a 8lb clamp when a 2.5lb clamp will do most of the time. I just want 8lbs of clamp for that 2.5lb price but that is my own demon. I am curious to see some of these 12" new light bessies. Maybe Lowes will get some in.

Tom Hintz
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Heidrick;1667812]Tom, the Little foot on the bar that holds the work off the bar looks much different.
As to Tom getting reimbursed - I am glad he does. QUOTE]
You are right, that foot or whatever we call it is quite different. It does the same thing more or less but the REVO ones do have a much bigger platform and that cojld be handy at times.
As for geting reimbursed, I can only wish I did like everyone (not you Mike) seems to "know" I do. My writing business funds the web site, not the other way around. I guess that it's way more fun to suppose things though.

Matt Day
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Tough crowd is right!

I enjoy his site and the reviews. I'll keep an eye out for these and see what the prices are. If they're not that well priced, I'll probably stick with Jet's when I can find them on sale.

Dave Sabo
03-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I still dislike those smooth wood handles from the previous K-bodies. The shaped plastic handles ( allowing better grip) can't cost much more- if anything.

David Weaver
03-24-2011, 1:36 PM
As for geting reimbursed, I can only wish I did like everyone (not you Mike) seems to "know" I do. My writing business funds the web site, not the other way around. I guess that it's way more fun to suppose things though.

A simple response like:

"i keep the tools i review and receive no other compensation except for advertising income from banner links" would be just fine.

When you don't disclose details, people are only left with supposition.

In a world where compensated reviews are not that easy to discern from credible overexcited users who are enamored with new tools, i have trouble seeing why there's anything wrong with wondering and asking to begin with.

Bypass answers that still don't address the question just push people further toward assuming there is bias for some reason.

Tom Hintz
03-24-2011, 2:33 PM
A simple response like:

"i keep the tools i review and receive no other compensation except for advertising income from banner links" would be just fine.

In a world where compensated reviews are not that easy to discern from credible overexcited users who are enamored with new tools, i have trouble seeing why there's anything wrong with wondering and asking to begin with.

Bypass answers that still don't address the question just push people further toward assuming there is bias for some reason.

Like I said, my writing business (nearly all of which is outside of woodworking) pays for the site and pays me, when it can. But I suspect the accountants report wouldn't be enough. The Internet is a big place. there is plenty of room for you or anyone else to do it right. Just wait until someone discovers the subliminal cuts in my videos......

Tom Hintz
03-24-2011, 3:06 PM
A simple response like:

OK, lets try the accountants report. Over the last four years roughly 21% of the tools I reviewed were provided for the review and I kept or sold them. Around 5% were tools taken in trade for writing services. The rest were purchased by one of my companies (writing or web site) and often sold after the review at a 50% loss as used. I suspect there are people around here that have some of those in their shops right now. If you need more, I got nothing.
By the way. Those Bessey clamps that got you all worked up in the first place? I am sending them on to a magazine for them to review. now yo get to rag on them! (All of them, I'm not outing the one getting these clamps...)

David Weaver
03-24-2011, 3:16 PM
I think worked up would be a little strong. Well, or a lot strong, or even over the top.

Curious would be a lot more accurate, curious for the purpose of making decisions if and when I do look at something to buy.

Your attitude about answering the question and snarking everyone who asks it in the first place, instead of just giving the straight answer (which should be plainly on your site to begin with, even if it's more generally stated) just puts people off.

I suspect that a lot of people read your reviews and figure they're directly compensated, and it would be to your benefit to put something a little more professional than the casual deflective answers in the FAQs. Rest assured, I didn't spend more time thinking about any of this than the five or ten minutes it took me to type these posts and to make a quick browse of the articles and the FAQ.

The observation is not specific to your site, it is to quite a few of the blogs and review sites out there that do a terrible job of explaining what bias there may be or clarifying that there is none at all. It's really not that unreasonable of a thing to wonder, and for those in the clear or with little bias, it's an opportunity missed to not specify it at the outset.

Bruce Page
03-24-2011, 3:19 PM
OK folks, let’s get back on track.

Tom wrote what I thought was an informative review. There’s no need to make assumptions on his motivation.

David Weaver
03-24-2011, 4:33 PM
I'm glad to know the details I asked about, regardless of how it's come out. I read his site before and ended up with some stuff, including a very effective one-way balancing system.

He may not be happy with me, but he has more credibility in my eyes if I know what I know now that he stated it, and I'd bet the same is true for other folks who are more polite than I am, and who would like to know but are afraid they'll appear confrontational.

(yes, this is how i am in real life, too, face to face, on the phone, whatever...).

Anyway, even if others may not feel like this was a productive discussion, I do.

Carl Babel
03-24-2011, 7:46 PM
I agree! Why would they go back to smooth wood handles?

As for Tom's site, I could care less what if any compensation he gets. He does a fantastic job of presenting detailed information (and pictures!) for so many tools! Besides, with this slick internet thingy, it is easy to get as many second opinions as you like.

Dee Synder
03-24-2011, 8:44 PM
I went to Tom's site just a little while ago and I noticed a strange thing in his video. It seems like every 20-30 seconds I seen a flash of something. Kinda weird like it was a old film with those missing frames.

Dee Synder
03-24-2011, 8:51 PM
Just wait until someone discovers the subliminal cuts in my videos......
Whoa, I just seen this!
That can't be the flashes I was talking about.
That's just to funny.

Alan Schaffter
03-24-2011, 9:25 PM
I still dislike those smooth wood handles from the previous K-bodies. The shaped plastic handles ( allowing better grip) can't cost much more- if anything.

I agree! Why would they go back to smooth wood handles?

You can always make a simple jig for your router table to flute the wood handles :D . . . .

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC230008.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PC230007.JPG

Bruce Page
03-24-2011, 9:30 PM
That's pretty cool Alan. Did you just eyeball the graduation?

Tom Ewell
03-24-2011, 9:33 PM
As for Tom's site, I could care less what if any compensation he gets. He does a fantastic job of presenting detailed information (and pictures!) for so many tools! Besides, with this slick internet thingy, it is easy to get as many second opinions as you like.

Exactly, most around here are quite capable of using any gathered info and coming to their own conclusions.

There is no snake oil being peddled as some miracle cure to the locals.

Peter Quinn
03-24-2011, 9:37 PM
Wow, glad to see that review. Sounds like just the thing I have been wanting, first I've heard of it. Thanks for the heads up Tom. I love the my k bodies and revos, and I like my uni clamps too, but often frankly they often leave me in a goldy locks situation. The k bodies are a bit much, the unis are a bit light, and I'm looking for something with the parallel jaw in between the two in terms of strength for many assemblies. Something with the weight and power for a basic Jorgy f clamp but with the ease of a square jaw. The price is a bit north of what I'd like to see, but I guess we will see where that goes. I never had a problem with the big old red handles on the original k bodies, so for me thats not a problem. I assumed the review was an add of some sort, it hardly reads like an impartial consumer reports type article, but that doesn't mean it is without value or information about the product. If Bessey wants to send me a complete set to review I will be happy to keep them and be impartial as possible given how happy I would be to have a free set of bessey clamps in my hands..

Alan Schaffter
03-24-2011, 9:40 PM
That's pretty cool Alan. Did you just eyeball the graduation?

I eye-balled the spacing on the first handle I cut, then I added the slot on the right side of the jig. After I cut the first flute, I put a piece of dowel in the slot and use that to index the handle as I rotate it counter clockwise for 8 perfectly spaced flutes.

Bruce Page
03-24-2011, 9:46 PM
That's pretty cool!

Rob Sack
03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a shop full of Besseys, mostly a lot of the TG Professional Series and several K-Bodies. The K-Bodies are OK, but trying to slide them into position during a glue up can be difficult as they are quite stiff as far as the sliding is concerned. The 2 1/2" TG's are just the opposite. You slide them into position and start to tighten them and they creep. You need a extra hand to try to tilt the moving portion of the clamp to try to get it to hold. I've slowly been replacing them with Jorgensens, which don't seem to exhibit any of theses issues. No more Besseys for me. I think I'll wait for the Jorgensen versions.

Julian Tracy
03-25-2011, 12:41 PM
This whole argument about whether a "review" is actually a "review" is a valid point, and getting more so these days.

Just came up with a popular fellow on JLC forums with a "review" of a certain uber-expensive green and black mitersaw stand. More of an enthusiastic "Yea!" for the product and wasn't immediately clear at the get go, but came out a bit later that this $800 stand had been given to the "reviewer".

I'd be loving that $800 stand too had I been given it, but not having received one free, I'm a bit more likely to be more skeptical about it.

Reviews that read like press releases are tiring, but they often serve a purpose. Sometimes it's nice to read a bit more in depth about the features of a product, but it'd be better to call them an overview or a new tool introduction, because a true review would compare their performance to the competition and also call into question the value vs. cost proposition.

At the start of any paid (with product or $$) "review", the reviewer really should state the fact that the products were supplied and will be kept or given to charity or whatever so that the integrity of the review can stay above reproach.

Lot's of these type of reviews at FOG.

JT

Julian Tracy
03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I've found most recent Bessey products are made in China now, so in general, I don't think much of any of their line except the old stuff.

JT

Gerald Senburn
03-25-2011, 1:16 PM
So what if the reviewer got the item for free? If they give a thorough look at the product, pointing out pros and cons and giving info beyond a typical press release, I really don't care whether they paid for it or not. I'm getting information that I didn't have before. There's one site I like in particular because he gives incredibly detailed reviews and videos, even if he was just writing promo material (and I really believe he's not) his promo material is worlds better than anything the manufacturers are doing.

Harold Burrell
03-25-2011, 9:21 PM
That's pretty cool!

Wait! Are you being compensated for that review?!!!

;)

Bruce Page
03-25-2011, 9:28 PM
I'm expecting a sizable bonus in my next moderator paycheck! :D:rolleyes:

Howard Rosenberg
03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
To everyone who is moaning about how Tom gets compensated, you're probably the sort of intellectual giant who moans about woodworking shows being dishonest because the project you saw the host build and whose plans you ordered, took longer than a half-hour............

Because if you're saying you'd run out and buy something just because Tom liked it - without doing your own due diligence - you are truly a misbegotten lightweight.

Focusing on how Tom gets compensated is nobody elses business.

Why not focus on direct and practical issues -
- does Tom perform a practical and informative service for us here?
- can we use his experience as a useful starting point for our research/shopping/buying?
- the value he brings to his visitors and customers.

Anything else is just nosy and intrusive.

Howard Rosenberg
Talk about you people never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity............

Eric DeSilva
03-26-2011, 2:06 PM
As a short counterpoint, I tend to think there is a reason Consumer Reports neither accepts free samples nor advertising. In the review business, whether a reviewer is compensated or not is, in fact, the business of the audience he is selling too.

Frankly tho', he lost all credibility with me based on his positive review of the kliklamp.

Rick Fisher
03-26-2011, 4:19 PM
Well.. I for one didnt know they where coming out with a smaller clamp..

I have Bessey K-Body and Revo Clamps, Mainly Revo's .. I dont have any 12" and always thought the Revo would be big for a 12" clamp.. Maybe I will look at this new one for 12" clamps..

End of the day, I will look at them in person and decide myself..

The Bessey Revo is assembled in the USA .. The heavier Tradesmen clamps are made in Germany.. Some of the cheaper stuff is Asian..

michael case
03-26-2011, 5:25 PM
You lose the large grip handle with the non-slip grip coating? No thanks! I switched to all Bessey clamps over the last year. I love them. One of the reasons I love them is the large grip handle with the great non-slip grips. You can keep the slim slippery handles. I'll stick with the original Revo