PDA

View Full Version : PC Template Guides with Bosch 1617 Router

Brett Bobo
03-23-2011, 2:54 PM
In order to use the PC template guides with a Bosch 1617 router, I've found there are two options for compatibility. One is to purchase a "universal" sub base for the router that accepts the PC template guides (~$30 locally) or purchase the Bosch RA-1100 adapter for the PC template guides (~$18 shipped). The Bosch adapter for PC guides is used in conjunction with the Bosch RA1126 template guide adapter for Bosch or comparable template guides. Both are relatively inexpensive so my primary concern is figuring out which option will be simpler to use, adjust, speed of changing, etc. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Anthony Whitesell
03-23-2011, 3:27 PM
I purchased the kit with both the fixed and plunge bases and it came with the RA1126 and centering pin. I didn't want to buy two sub bases and I had the RA1126 so I opted for the RA1100 adapter. Do you have a centering pin? With all of the screws to tighten, the centering pin is a must.

glenn bradley
03-23-2011, 3:49 PM
If I were in that situation, I would (based on previous experience) purchase a base from Pat Warner sized for PC collars. JMHO.

Chris Rosenberger
03-23-2011, 4:02 PM
Brett,

Here is a link to the RA100 adapter for 7.82. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1100-Threaded-Template-Adapter/dp/B0009H5INI/ref=as_li_wdgt_js_ex?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20&creative=380797
The link is through the Shopping tab on Sawmill Creek.
I do not know what shipping would be because I am a member of their club & get free shipping.

Chris Matus
03-23-2011, 4:05 PM
If I were in that situation, I would (based on previous experience) purchase a base from Pat Warner sized for PC collars. JMHO.

+1

Pat's bases are the bomb! I use both the regular and offset base on my 1617. I have the Bosch adapter and never felt like I could get it setup accurately.

Matt Day
03-23-2011, 4:13 PM
I have the adapter and used it a few times without a problem.

Philip Rodriquez
03-23-2011, 4:15 PM
Okay, I was cheap and swaped out one of my spare PC base plates. Drilling was not necessary!

Brett Bobo
03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Glenn,
Do you recommend the precision subbase kit for $55? It looks like that's the only kit that has the ability to precisely center the template guide (with the pin and insert) unlike the standard, round subbases that he offers.

Thanks,
Brett

glenn bradley
03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
The precision kit looks interesting. I have Whiteside guides and several precision pins for centering the various sizes (as opposed to a cone centering pin and the tolerances acceptable there). I guess this is a good place to say that templates vary in quality and yes, you get what you pay for. Don't spend a lot of money to route out the mortise for your front door's strike plate but, a little more finesse is required for things like inlay.

I found the template stepped hole in Pat's bases to be so precise that I was able to use the Whiteside precision parts with great success. With Pat's system you would undoubtedly end up with a collar centered to your arbor and an outer rim on the baseplate equidistant from the center of the bit. I generally require on or the other and so just ordered the regular base plate with a stepped hole.

I would strongly recommend emailing Pat and telling him what you are after (be complete in your description of your needs) and ask his recommendation. That's what I've done and I have always been pleased.

P.s. If you don't have an offset base already, go ahead and get one. Mine are on my routers 80% of the time.

Bill Huber
03-26-2011, 1:39 PM
Just get the little adapter, it works just fine.

I have 2 of them and have sold all the Bosch bushing, just did not like them.

michael case
03-26-2011, 5:33 PM
I use the quick change adapter. Its nice to have several of the ring adapters though, so you can actually take advantage of the speed of the Bosch quick change system. No problems with accuracy so far, though for dovetailing- which really puts a lot continuous pressure on the collet - I have a dedicated PC router.