PDA

View Full Version : This is a HUGH Gloat!!!!!

Dick Wilson
03-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Alan Carter is doing some traveling here in the mid west going to Woodcraft stores demonstrating the Easy Wood Tools. Next month while he is up in Grand Rapids, MI for the store he is going to be at our woodturning guild for an hour or so doing demo. When I heard that announcement at our last meeting my jaw dropped. As you may know, I have been creating suspended forms. Out of all the marvelous turners who do suspended work Alan's work inspired me to go in this direction. To say that I am extremely geeked about seeing him in person is the understatement of the millenium.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jim Burr
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I share in your geekdom Dick! What a treat and remember...it didn't happen if there are no pictures!

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 1:14 PM
Dick---Checked out his website, nice stuff! Mind sharing just what a D-Tool is? Couldn't find a reference on Google. It's always cool to meet those who influence us - have a great time.

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2011, 1:17 PM
Wow! Sounds like it's gonna be quite the demo! Have fun and take lots of photos!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-23-2011, 1:36 PM
Seeing any professional turner do his thing is a treat. Having one 10' away in a small group is really special. Having a favorite in that setting has to be marvelous. Enjoy the show.
faust

Dick Wilson
03-23-2011, 2:37 PM
Dick---Checked out his website, nice stuff! Mind sharing just what a D-Tool is? Couldn't find a reference on Google. It's always cool to meet those who influence us - have a great time.

Dan, It is a new style of turning tool. There are videos on YouTube.

Chris Struttman
03-23-2011, 2:53 PM
I didnt see anything referencing D-Tool on YouTube. Do you have a link?

Dick Wilson
03-23-2011, 4:16 PM
I didnt see anything referencing D-Tool on YouTube. Do you have a link?

Sorry Chris, I must have been thinking of my next turning.....see Easy Wood Tools.

Jeff Myroup
03-23-2011, 5:56 PM
He and I are in a gallery exhibit together and I got to spend some time with him at the opening. Fantastic person. He lives about an hour from Illiana woodturners and we are hoping he joins us. He is a really nice guy. Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2011, 5:59 PM
Wow Dick sounds like a great demo.

Bob Bergstrom
03-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Alan does a great demo of a thin stem goblet using a Easy Wood Tools. It consists of 3 pieces with a really thin stem. He is a joy to watch and a real artist.

Dick Wilson
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Alan does a great demo of a thin stem goblet using a Easy Wood Tools. It consists of 3 pieces with a really thin stem. He is a joy to watch and a real artist.

To Jeff and Bob: I'm wondering if Alan does critiques at club "show and tells". If so, how were they?

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Alan has done critiques at both Chicago Woodturners and Windy City Woodturners. He brings his artistic and engineering skills to front as he adds positive suggestions. He is a true caring person with a whole lot willingness to share his experiences.

Dick Wilson
03-24-2011, 1:52 PM
Thanks Bob. I think I will bring up having Alan critique at our upcoming board meeting and check with Alan to make sure he is willing to do the critique.