PDA

View Full Version : A couple more with twisted finials

Richard Madden
03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Here are some pictures from the last batch I took. The first is Cherry, 4" x 9-1/2". I filled a void with turquoise, Holly finial and WOP finish;

Next, is Tulip Poplar, 9" dia. x 12" tall. Walnut finial, threaded. AO finish. The wife has layed claims on this one.

As always, comments and critique are welcome.

Johnny England
03-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I love those finials! As always beautiful work.

Ron Bontz
03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
These are just exquisite. How do you make the finials? Sorry for my ignorance.

charlie knighton
03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
very nice......

Jim Burr
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Holy cow Richard!! The cherry finial seems disproportional, but so what!! I may box your wife for the poplar...of course in my condition...she'd win!! What was it like to work with? I've seen it around, but never grabbed any. I'll be coming back to look at this one for quite awhile;):D.

Dick Wilson
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Richard, Beautiful pieces. I guess your wife and I have a great eye and like the same thing. I too like the Tulip Poplar the best. It may be because the spiral finial works much better on this piece. IMHO the finial on the Cherry piece looks a little big - mostly the height of it.......I think. But, like Jim said, who cares. They are both marvelous.

Mark Hubl
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Very nice. The tulipwood piece is my fav.

Baxter Smith
03-23-2011, 1:26 PM
Great job on the finials Richard. Really like the poplar wood and combination!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
03-23-2011, 1:34 PM
Awesome on both; I'll join Ron's "ignorance." I'd love a quick tutorial on how to make those beautiful finials.

Brian Effinger
03-23-2011, 1:46 PM
Good looking vases, Richard, although I agree with your wife - the poplar would be my favorite too. It has been interesting to see your progression with these twisted finials. They are getting more refined with each one. Nicely done. :)

John Keeton
03-23-2011, 6:25 PM
Richard, have to agree on the finial for the poplar piece - one of your better ones IMO. It is formed better, has better curves, the wood combo works, and it is proportionate to the form. The form itself is very well done, though some may feel the shoulder is a little high.

Nice work on the cherry one, as well, but the finial is a little large for it. But, as others have said, I think they are great, and I sure wouldn't tackle one of them!!

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 8:25 PM
Wow! You're fast becoming the king of the spiral finial. I agree with the others about the poplar form... I think the finial is more proportional to the overall piece, and the curves of the finial itself are perfection. I keep looking for the tutorial on these spirals:D:D...

Roger Chandler
03-23-2011, 8:29 PM
Both are real nice..........+1 on the tulip poplar! That is a great form and finial. I also like the coloration on it!

Jim Adkins
03-23-2011, 8:35 PM
very nice job Richard. I too like the poplar form better, better proportions I think.
So, when is this Tutorial forthcoming for all to see??
Jim

Ron Stadler
03-23-2011, 9:12 PM
I love the Tulip poplar one, "Great Shape" and well your finials are second to none.

Richard Madden
03-23-2011, 11:14 PM
very nice job Richard. I too like the poplar form better, better proportions I think.
So, when is this Tutorial forthcoming for all to see??
Jim

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I've run into a problem with the tutorial. I had just completed it the other night, and added the pictures. I thought I had saved it the same as I had every other time while working on it, but now I can't find it. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowupset.gif When I go to My Documents, the title is still there, but Word gives me a message that the "Document name or path is not valid". It then gives two suggestions; "Check the file permissions for the document or drive, or Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document (C:\Users\...Spiral Finial Tutorial.rtf)".
So, it's still in there, but for some strange reason I can't get to it. I don't know what I did different from before when I was putting it together. As you can tell, I'm a computer dummy. I'm hoping to get my son over to help me out, but for now, I can't even get to it

Brian Effinger
03-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I've run into a problem with the tutorial. I had just completed it the other night, and added the pictures. I thought I had saved it the same as I had every other time while working on it, but now I can't find it. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowupset.gif When I go to My Documents, the title is still there, but Word gives me a message that the "Document name or path is not valid". It then gives two suggestions; "Check the file permissions for the document or drive, or Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document (C:\Users\...Spiral Finial Tutorial.rtf)".
So, it's still in there, but for some strange reason I can't get to it. I don't know what I did different from before when I was putting it together. As you can tell, I'm a computer dummy. I'm hoping to get my son over to help me out, but for now, I can't even get to it
Richard,
Did you try opening it up from inside Word? If you did, go to the start menu at the bottom left corner of the screen and click on My Documents. Then find the file there and when you do, double click on it. It should open up the Word program and the file.

Richard Madden
03-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Richard,
Did you try opening it up from inside Word? If you did, go to the start menu at the bottom left corner of the screen and click on My Documents. Then find the file there and when you do, double click on it. It should open up the Word program and the file.

Yup, tried that several times. That is when I get the above mentioned message.

Michelle Rich
03-24-2011, 7:14 AM
Bill Bowers has a book on turning these & I believe Mortimer too..maybe folks could read those until
Richard gets his tutorial out of the computer appealing pieces, Richard

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Nice work Richard! Really find the Tulip Poplar piece appealing! Very pleasing form!

Trevor Howard
03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
There are both beautiful, Richard, although the Tulip Poplar does have slightly more appeal.

As far as your "missing" file, have you tried opening Word than at the top click 'file' and you should see towards the bottom of the menu the path and names of recent files opened, you may be able to open it from there.
Good Luck, I am looking forward to reading the tutorial.