PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit!

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 4:28 AM
I had the pleasure of driving up to Coolin ID and visiting the shop of Hayes Rutherford today. Hayes is one of our newest members on the Creek, whom I met recently at a meeting of our local turning club. He hasn't done a formal intro here yet, as he wanted some pics of some of his work to show. To that end, I brought my camera and we took some pics, which I'll send to him, and let him post and describe them. In the meantime, here are some other pics from our visit.

Hayes is an inveterate tinkerer, and constructed his own hollowing system, which works quite well. I approached it rather tentatively at first, but he just gets right in there and gets the job done. That's Hayes at the helm - we had to "simulate" action, as the light was low and exposure was quite long. Next shot is the two of us together, using the timer to let me get in the pic.

He found a nice boxelder tree down the other day, that was literally covered with shallow burls, and brought home a truckload of it. He graciously offered a bunch of it to me. I took a pic of the loaded truck, but the light was low and it was too blurry so I didn't post it - I didn't use the tripod for that one. But here is a pic from our adventure last week, picking up a bit of maple. This was just his, my truck was also full. I think I was trying to straighten out my back in this pic from his cell phone.

Turns out that Hayes and I have a lot in common besides turning, so we hung out and talked for quite a while before I had to hit the road for the two hour drive back to Spokane. I'll post some pics later of the boxelder I brought home. I had a great time, and am looking forward to a visit from him the day of our next club meeting.

Dan

John Keeton
03-23-2011, 6:22 AM
Dan, great visit and nice pics. That is just about the most simple, functional and unique hollowing system I have seen!! Neat idea! Looks as though you guys have hit is off quite well, and that the wood hauls are HUGE!!

Fred Belknap
03-23-2011, 8:42 AM
Can't imagine what I could get done if I had that many tools.:) Looks like you all had a great time.

bob svoboda
03-23-2011, 8:45 AM
Not much beats a good Creeker visit. Sounds like a good time and a great wood score!

Larry Edgerton
03-23-2011, 8:50 AM
Hey Dan, his shop looks a lot more organized than yours! Wonder if its contagious......

Larry

PS. My shop makes yours look organized..

Richard Madden
03-23-2011, 9:03 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2011, 9:12 AM
Dan that is great. There is nothing better than a creeker visit. I hope to do more of that this summer. Now that is a load of wood. Can't wait to see what comes of it. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2011, 9:34 AM
Congrats to both of you! Creeker visits are great!

John Altberg
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a great day, you two. Hope to see you both at the next meeting.

John

Mark Hubl
03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Awesome. Nice load of wood.

Baxter Smith
03-23-2011, 1:03 PM
Congrats to both of you. Good time and good wood!

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2011, 1:15 PM
Congrats on the Creeker visit - sure looks like you guys had fun! That is quite the load of wood! Wears me out just thinking about loading that trailer!

Looking forward to seeing some of Hayes' work!

Tony De Masi
03-23-2011, 1:40 PM
Congrats you two for taking the time to get together. These Creeker visits are just the best there is.

Hayes Rutherford
03-24-2011, 2:21 AM
We really did have a great afternoon. Couldn't get in enough show and tell. Can't wait to visit Dan next month and try out the Monster hollowing system !!

hr

Dan Forman
03-24-2011, 3:44 AM
Turning, wood, guitars and such, doesn't get much better than that.

Dan