PDA

View Full Version : Mortar & Pestal

Kathy Marshall
03-23-2011, 2:57 AM
A mortar and pestle has been on my list of things to do. One of our club members asked if I would turn one for him to give to his friend that is either already a Dr or is studying to become one (can't remember which). So I've kind of been waiting until the time "felt right" and I decided which wood to use.

So I got home from work today after picking up a small load of some mesquite and the mystery wood, which I think now might be arborvitae (a couple of branches still had some foliage left). Anyway, took the truck over to the wood pile to unload and seal the new load, and one of the left over chunks of pecan was laying there, staring me in the face :eek:
It was a good size chunk, maybe a 1/4 of a log about 1' long. It had a nice streak of heartwood and was clean and clear. So I jumped online to see if I could find a pic of a mortar & pestle I liked and then I got out the chainsaw and cut out about a 5" x 5" x 9-10" spindle blank. Turned it round, then cut a tenon on each end and parted it in about in half so I had 2 pieces each with a tenon, 1 for the mortar and 1 for the pestle.

Something in the air was just right today, it turned as sweet and smooth as can be! I used my hollowing rig to turn the inside of the mortar (good practice with the rig being able to see exactly what it was doing, and also made it a breeze to get a very consistent wall thickness to the exact thickness I wanted).

So here it is with just a 1st coat of DO. 3 3/4" tall x 4 1/4 wide, 2 7/8" deep and 3/8" walls. I wanted to keep it fairly heavy since a delicate mortar would be pretty useless. The pestle is 3 3/4" long and maybe 1 1/2" at the widest (forgot to measure that part).

Comments alway welcome!
187877 187878

mickey cassiba
03-23-2011, 3:22 AM
I like it... I've got a cube of mesquite that looks like it may have a set in it.
Gotta get a camera that works...

Lupe Duncan
03-23-2011, 3:37 AM
Very nice work. Looks interesting. I may try one.

How does the wood hold up to actual use?

Graham Sugar
03-23-2011, 5:37 AM

I made one for a lady about 3 years ago and it is still going today... it was turned from very dry Red gum and finished with paraffin oil and she oils it about once a month
regards
Graham

Eugene Wigley
03-23-2011, 5:48 AM
Very nice, I like the two tone effect. I will have to try some pecan if I can find a piece that is green.

John Keeton
03-23-2011, 6:17 AM
Nice work, Kathy, and the heartwood/sapwood thing really adds interest. I need to take handwriting lessons from you!! Nice signature.

Donny Lawson
03-23-2011, 6:56 AM
Nice piece. I've not tried one of those yet.

Michelle Rich
03-23-2011, 7:03 AM
great! I like how you finish your bottom and your identifying..looks great

Cathy Schaewe
03-23-2011, 7:30 AM
I like it. And I wish my signatures and dates would come out looking like that -
The heartwood-sapwood constrast definitely adds to the package.

Fred Belknap
03-23-2011, 8:31 AM
Very nice. Like others have said your printing on the bottom is great, wish I could do that.

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2011, 9:14 AM
Kathy that is cool. I really like the contrast of the wood.

Jim Burr
03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
That's almost to pretty Kathy. Usually M&P sets are all craggly and rough looking...this is very smooth. I would only suggest a thicker wall...3/8th does't seem like a lot, but if feels beefy...mash it up!

Baxter Smith
03-23-2011, 1:00 PM
Great job Kathy. That is something I have thought about making for a long time but have yet to do. Yours looks great!

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 1:06 PM
That looks really fine! The heart/sap wood adds interest, nice clean lines. May have to try something similar.

Dan

Roger Chandler
03-23-2011, 3:12 PM
That is a very nice piece of work, Kathy. I am sure the Doctor will treasure it!

David E Keller
03-23-2011, 3:19 PM
That's beautiful, Kathy. I really need to try one of these.
I hope it turns out half as nice as yours.

I giggled when I read the comments about your penmanship... I can't read my own handwriting at times, and I truly envy your signature. I've tried pyro practicing my name for a week or so now, and it's still awful. I may just make an 'x' from now on.

Kathy Marshall
03-24-2011, 2:54 AM
Thanks everyone!
This was a fun and easy project and if it's something you've been wanting to try, then I say "get to it"!

Thanks Lupe, I would think pecan would hold up good to use, since I've been told when it's dry it's referred to as "pecancrete"

Nice work, Kathy, and the heartwood/sapwood thing really adds interest. I need to take handwriting lessons from you!! Nice signature.

Thanks John! The burning pen I use works great for writing. They call it a writing tip but it's basically just a ball on the tip, but it feels almost like using a ball point.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow - that is a really cool little project! Really like the two-toned wood! The Dr is going to love it!