PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Dust Collector related

Cliff Newton
01-26-2005, 11:29 AM
How many of us have a dust collector standing in the corner, but have no ducts running to individual machines? I have had my DC for a year and still drag a 20' length of hose around my shop from one machine to another :o

Dan Gill
01-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Me, too. Although I have one 10 ft. hose to the table saw and a 20 ft. hose to share between the planer and jointer.

Dave Harker
01-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Mine is hooked up to a homemade pre-separator and 6" PVC:

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/WWShop/dustcolloverview.html

Ken Garlock
01-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Cliff. When we were building our new house and my shop, I had the slab people put an 8X8 inch trench down the center of the shop floor. When we got moved in, I went to the local steel vendor and bought diamond plate to cover the trench. I just completed running 6" PVC from the DC(Pentz kit) to the cabinet saw, and the jointer. I have stubbed off a line for the far side of the shop where I plan to place my bandsaw, miter saw, and drill press.

Running a PVC line to the tools is an excellent solution, but you need a real dust collector to make it work well/correctly. The kit I put together I call the "Willie Nelson" cyclone because it will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. :D

Mark Singer
01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
I have the Oneida 2 HP system and have all the machines hooked up. It took a little effort, but it was well worth it! My drill press and mortiser are not on...The CMS is on the system , but it only get about 60 %

Jim Becker
01-26-2005, 12:20 PM
For many of the DCs that folks own, a simple hose moved from machine to machine is actually the best way to use the device with the best performance. IMHO, too many times duct work is put in for a machine that realistically can't provide enough air flow which actually degrades the collection at the machine. So...there is nothing wrong with using a hose and the shorter, the better.

John M. Cioffi
01-26-2005, 12:27 PM
MY DC IS IN THE CORNER WITH 1 LINE DEDICATED TO THE TABLESAW, WHILE THE OTHER IS ON THE JOINTER & DOUBLES AS THE FREE HOSE TO ALL THE OTHER LOCATIONS. Sorry, forgot the caps button was on. It is kind of lousy to step over the line all the time,though. Maybe when I build the rear wall bench unit, I'll give more thought to it. I love using the long ranger with it.:D

Tom Seaman
01-26-2005, 12:47 PM
I've got a 2hp Oneida sitting in the corner with NOTHING running from it! :eek: I've been 'waiting' 1.5 years until I could finalize placement of my machines in my garage workshop before running the fixed lines. I bought the cyclone early in the workshop layout process so I could know exacly how much space it would take up. Then I bought 8 sheets of 3/4" cherry plywood for built-in bookshelves which I put where some of my benchtop tools will eventually go. A year later, I've now excavated back down to the plywood, and I'm about to start on the bookshelves, and once the plywood is out of the way, I think I'll have my layout set and can get the dust collector hooked up! :)

Never thought about the temporary flexible line - I might give that a shot in the short term.

Steve Clardy
01-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Mine is all hooked up. All main trunks are under concrete floor, collector is outside.

Jerry Olexa
01-26-2005, 1:16 PM
Cliff I use flex hose also and DC is on mobile (?!) base.

Rob Littleton
01-26-2005, 1:22 PM
I have a BRAND new, 3HP Oneida built in its own closet to keep the sound down.

I assume, when I finally get it powered up, it will be noisy.

It has only been almost 1 year standing in its own closet, lonely, and ready to go. I guess if I stop using the Jet CD 2 bag I have, then I will be forced to connect up the Oneida and make it happen................sigh, just another thing to add to my list :-)

Thanks for the prompt though and I dont feel guilty anymore since others do what I do too.......

stay safe

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2005, 1:30 PM
Don't feel bad Cliff. I have a Jet 1200 not even plugged in yet (need another 220 and the truck has taken all my cash)...at least you have it working!!

Mark J Bachler
01-26-2005, 1:49 PM
3hp Powermatic (soon to be in seperate building) Everything is hooked up w/ 6" PVC.

Jim DeLaney
01-26-2005, 1:55 PM
I've had mine (Penn State DC1B) for about fifteen years. It's in its third shop, and has never been 'hard-ducted' in any of them. I use a couple ten foot hoses, and move it from machine to machine as needed.

Jay Knepper
01-26-2005, 2:19 PM
I have a 2hp Oneida system that is piped to my machines. However the table saw has a 10' length of 5" dia flexible ducting running to it, and the jointer has a 10' long 4" duct that gets switched to the planer and serves as a floor vac for my workbench. I would like to have them "hard wired", but the need for flexibility in moving machines and the inconvenience of having fixed pipes running from floor to ceiling limits some milling operations, so the flex ducting will probably stay. I recall that the ducting hardware cost as much as the collector itself.

I'm thinking about boxing in the main machine with some sound absorbing material so that I can hear my bluegrass while the dust collector is on.

Jim Dunn
01-26-2005, 3:01 PM
I too have a dust collector in the corner. But I do have a hybrid system part ducted and part hose usage. Hope to duct more in the future but plan on always using hose to connect movable machinery.

Jim

Bart Leetch
01-26-2005, 4:02 PM
I have 2 runs one around to my RAS & soon to my CMS this one can't be seen because it is on the floor next to the wall. T

The Combination sander is right in front of the DC & is hooked up to the other leg of the Y straight off the DC & Y'd down to 2 Vac hoses one for the wheel & the other for th belt.

The other side of the Y goes across the ceiling & drops to a Y & 2 hoses for the Cabinet-saw & Jointer.The Jointer hose is long enough to be unplugged & run to the portable planer.

I use the shop vac on my Jet spindle sander. The 12" band-saw has no DC connection, I have a 4" connection fastened at an angle under the 14" band-saw table that about 1/2 the time isn't used.

Byron Trantham
01-26-2005, 4:23 PM
I have a Delta 1.5HP unit "in a closet". Using 4" sewer duct work and blast gates, the unit services my table saw, SCMS, planer, band saw, jointer, router [table] and a floor sweep. The Jet OSS, Delta sanding center, circular saw, biscuit jointer, and ROS are serviced by my Festool dust extractor. The rest is serviced by Norwegian Steam - a broom! :D

Tom Manos
01-26-2005, 7:32 PM
Mine is in the corner with a hose like yours, but I'm in the process of buying the piping to set up a central system. I'll be done in a couple of weeks, I would think.

-Tom

Lewis Mills
01-26-2005, 8:05 PM
I've got the DC unit in a corner, but I'm working on extending 6" PVC to most of the tools. I'm still getting things organized, but I think I will probably end up with the jointer and the planer sharing a ten foot drop of 6" flex hose. Here's a shot of the cyclone and the ductwork so far. It is still a work in progress!

Lewis

Jeff Riegner
01-26-2005, 8:27 PM
I just have two 10' flex hoses from my 1-1/2 HP Harbor Freight DC - one dedicated to the table saw, one that I move between the planer and the CMS. For the router and drill press, I use a broom. :(

David LaRue
01-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Small shop solution: 1 1/2hp Delta with .5 micron bags, 4" S&D pipe. I removed the separator that I used to have that is in the picture below:

http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/Shop-Layout-final-with-DC-6.jpg

Stefan Antwarg
01-27-2005, 6:57 AM
Well, my Dust Collection is fairly primitive. It is one of those little portable Delta collectors and I don't even have wheels for it. So, I have to pick the whole thing up and move it. Sucks pretty bad - the setup. It actually works well as far as Collecting Dust.

Stefan

Jeff Sudmeier
01-27-2005, 9:10 AM
Well, my Dust Collection is fairly primitive. It is one of those little portable Delta collectors and I don't even have wheels for it. So, I have to pick the whole thing up and move it. Sucks pretty bad - the setup. It actually works well as far as Collecting Dust.

Stefan
Well I have part duct, part hose. I tried to run ducts as close to the tools as I could, but my tools are mobile, so I have to use about 7 feet of flex hose to connect to the ducts.

Jeff

Ellen Benkin
01-27-2005, 2:38 PM
I have a "small" Jet that moves from machine to machine. It's sort of cumbersome but a lot cheaper and easier than trying to "duct" the garage. In a one person, hobby, shop this seems perfectlly adequate.

Carl Eyman
01-27-2005, 6:09 PM
For my planer, jointer, router table, cms, and some portable hand tools, i.e., circular saw, I move them outside my shop on the cocrete drive and the wind blows the dust into the sugarcane field next door. I expect I'll get complaints when the sugar starts tasting like walnuts or cherries.

Jim Young
01-27-2005, 7:08 PM
I have my tools hard plumbed into the DC. My DC is a 2 horse model that is in another room. I try to run minimal flex hose due to the pressure loss.

Randy Lisbona
01-28-2005, 11:49 PM
I am just getting my cyclone setup, I built this stand for it. The vertical piece of 6" piping lifts off the stand. My thought is to lay it on the floor over to my tablesaw. I haven't used it this way yet. I still need to find a quick disconnect device so I don't have to pull the entire piece of 6" flexible pipe down.

Dust that hits the floor doesn't really bother me, it is the stuff that floats in the air that is really bad for you. I have only turned a few pieces since I got the dust collector hooked up (it sat in pieces for about two years before I got around to it) It was amazing to not have the fine dust floating around. I still need to figure out a better way to move the dust hood around. It worked fine on a bowl but not for a spindle.

I have a full 1/2" clearance between the top of the motor and my garage door. I made it as short as I could and felt pretty good that it all fit.

David LaRue
01-29-2005, 1:39 AM
Let me be the 1st to welcome you to the creek. Very nice cyclone, and great job at keeping it under the garage door. Do you happen to know the total height of the unit?

David

Randy Lisbona
01-29-2005, 9:19 AM
87" to the bottom of my garage door
86.5" to the top of the motor
The blower hangs from crossbars at 76.25"
I had to shorten the flex hose to the drum to about 6". This makes it a little difficult to lift the lid off the drum. I am going to put some bungee cords on the lid to help lift it slightly. Mine has a 2hp Leeson motor. It is not super loud but I will probably buy the muffler or possible try to build one.

I am more of a lurker than a poster but thought you all might like to see the stand.