PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking new project

Stephen Pereira
03-22-2011, 11:47 PM

I thought the metal workers on SMC would be interested in my latest project..making a infill smoother. I just got started making the sides which will be bolted to the sole. It is a lot of work but is it ever fun!!

Terry Beadle
03-25-2011, 1:12 PM
That looks like a great start ! What kind of bolts will you use to anchor the sides to the sole? Brash or steel or ?

Matt Ranum
03-25-2011, 5:42 PM
Keep posting progress pics of this! I'd like to see it step by step.

Bruce Page
03-25-2011, 5:47 PM
Stephen, do you have drawings for your infill?

Stephen Pereira
03-26-2011, 3:20 AM
188279Here is a picture of the first side. I had hoped to use off the shelf fasteners..#10x32 flat head screw.but there isn't enough "meat". I had to make my own screws.

Bruce..drawings? We don't need no stinking drawings(: I don't work from drawings..I kind of make it up as I go along(maybe that is why I make so many mistakes). I'm taking my inspiration from Kingshott's(sp?) book and the many planemakers who so generously share their knowledge via their blogs.

I am not an accomplished machinist so I have to learn as I go along. For example..to make the screws I had to match the included angle of the countersink I used(82 degrees). I didn't know how to do that, so I asked my internet machining mentor..he wrote me an email detailing the process.

I'll try and post more pics as I go along.

Bruce Boone
03-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not familiar with what the infill smoother is. I assume it's some sort of woodworking tool like a hand plane?

Stephen Pereira
03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
188713 Here is a picture of the fixture I made to machine the surfaces of the sole and sides. I was having trouble with maintaining accuracy due to "vise lift" My friend and internet mentor suggested the above fixture. Works great, I can now flycut the surfaces and make the surfaces as good as my machine is capable.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Stephen Pereira
03-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm not familiar with what the infill smoother is. I assume it's some sort of woodworking tool like a hand plane?

Yep. Infill planes have a long tradation..The English..Spiers, Norris..just to name a few. Infills areall the rage today..Hotley, Marcou and many others make BEAUTIFUL renditions with highly figured Rosewood or Cocobolo for the infill. Check out Karl Hotley's blog..he is arguably THE premier planemaker today.

Stephen Pereira
03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
188996Here is a photo of plane sides being machined on the new fixture.Not as good as a surface grinder but I can hold dimensions to .001-.002

Terry Beadle
11-25-2011, 8:59 AM
Hello and Happy Holidays !

Any news on the infill project? New pics? Is it finished? Hoot! "Are we there yet?" was always what my kids used to say on trips.

John T Barker
12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Just joined up here a few days ago and am so glad to see a thread like this. Definitely one of my wish list build pieces. A lot of good information out there and good stuff built. Anxiuod to see this build.

John

Stephen Pereira
12-09-2011, 3:18 PM
Hello,

I've been away for quite some time and to my surprise I found an old thread I started. I had a stroke about two months ago and I am just beginning to be able to use a computer again.

I haven't been in the shop since my stroke..I'm going to give it a shot..wish me luck.

Terry Beadle
12-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your stroke.

Keep us posted on your shop adventures...it's the best part of life!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays !