PDA

View Full Version : How many chucks are to many?

Curt Stivison
03-22-2011, 8:36 PM
I now have 7 chucks. 4 Nova G3, 2 Super Nova, 1 old Nova. I was told by a Creeker that we all know and love that I may be close to having enough. How many is to many?:confused:

Jon Lanier
03-22-2011, 9:10 PM
How many is enough? I've got no idea...I own one. If you are looking to give any away. Feel free to PM me. ;)

Mike Rushing
03-22-2011, 9:13 PM
I have one and wish I had at least two more. Just never around when they come up for sale

John Keeton
03-22-2011, 9:17 PM
I feel so ashamed!!!:o I have enabled an addict!!!!:rolleyes:;):D

David E Keller
03-22-2011, 9:24 PM
Ridiculous! There's no such thing as too many chucks! What if my wife were to see this post? Come on man...

David DeCristoforo
03-22-2011, 9:37 PM
Once you get up around fifty, you might want to think about backing off a bit...

Scott Lux
03-22-2011, 9:43 PM
If you have so many chucks that the combined weight of them is pulling the moon from it's orbit, you probably have enough. Just barely. That being said I have two. Unless you count a drill chuck, then I can add one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2011, 9:46 PM
I didn't know that you could have to many.:eek:

Gary Max
03-22-2011, 9:52 PM
Looks like you need a Titon---- don't forget the 5 inch jaws

Steve Kubien
03-22-2011, 9:54 PM
I have 3... a nova midi and 2 SN2's. I could easily justify another big one like the Vicmarc 120 or the big Oneway if I had a lathe in the 20+" range. As it sits, any more would be extravagant for me. I would love another 6-8 faceplates though!

Donny Lawson
03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
It's nice to own so many chucks.,but you can only use one at a time.

John Keeton
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
It's nice to own so many chucks.,but you can only use one at a time.Oh Donny!!! Not so!! I often have two chucks with parts in them, and using a third chuck with soft jaws or pin jaws, all on the same multi-piece turning. Just keep changing chucks on/off the lathe.

jeff schnell
03-22-2011, 10:11 PM
you never have too many, I have 2 strongholds, 2 talons, 2 psi baracudas, mico chuck, also 5 or 6 metal lathe chucks just in case, oh yea an axminister, I would like a few more strongholds to have all of the different jaws already on and don't have to swap them.

curtis rosche
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
you can send one my way if you want :rolleyes: i only have one, a little grizzly one.:)

David T gray
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
humm psi chuck that i use for cole jaws upto 14'' then 3 grizzlys for every thing small with vicmarc jaws then the oneway with a lot of jaws :) then there's vacuum chucks 7 total with vacuum ones.

Terry Quiram
03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Counting the 2 for my metal lathe I have a total of 9 and I use them all.

James Combs
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Three Novas for me. One SN2 and two G3s. Typically at least two of the three have something in them at any given time.

Incidentally Woodcraft has the SN2 on sale for $139 (one day sale April 9). Although that is w/o the adapter (another $23) it is still a good deal.

Edit: Just noticed that Terry added his metal lathe chucks, that would also give me two more plus I also have three (2-MT 2 & and 1-Mt3) drill chucks, two sets of colet chucks totaling about 18 to 20 for a grand total of around 25. Say... I think I am starting to realize why my shop lists toward the side where I store these things.

Vince Welch
03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
I have two for my 1640. I keep spigot jaws on one and "regular" jaws on the other. I figure if I need a chuck beyond that I need to go back and finish a project or two.

V

Baxter Smith
03-22-2011, 11:18 PM
When you have more chucks than jaws......:)

Don Alexander
03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
there is such a thing as too many of any tool? i musta missed that memo :D:D

Belton Garvin
03-23-2011, 12:02 AM
I read an article a couple months ago in the AAW magazine Amercan Woodturner. I can't remember which turner it was but he thought he could get by with 15 chucks...lol. There is also a small article in the Dec 2010 vol. 25 no. 6, page 13 from one of the founding members of our local club. He uses a chuck on each end ( 1 in the headstock, 1 in the tailstock) of long spindles which greatly reduces vibration without the use of a steady rest.

Tim Thiebaut
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
As a self proclaimed tool addict I have to say that you can never have enough of any tool! I only have one chuck "so far" as there are so many things to buy for this past time of ours, but more chucks are on the list!

Fred Perreault
03-23-2011, 7:11 AM
When you run out of room to organize and store them... there may be too many. Or, maybe there is a need for more shelves and drawers.

Cathy Schaewe
03-23-2011, 7:26 AM
Ha. I have five, not counting vacuum chucks, drill chucks or collet chucks. I was just thinking I really "needed" another ...

Bernie May
03-23-2011, 7:40 AM

Now that is the definitive answer!!!!!! End of discussion.

Norm Zax
03-23-2011, 8:33 AM
Looks like its settled - 10 is enough.
Anyone with more than ten is asked to send the remainders to the following addresses...

Steve Kubien
03-23-2011, 8:39 AM
I have two for my 1640. I keep spigot jaws on one and "regular" jaws on the other.

The only jaws I use are the ones you mention plus occasionally #3's for larger pieces. I have changed jaws in at least a year.

bob svoboda
03-23-2011, 8:48 AM
Too many? Ridiculous--same as saying too much wood. You don't have enough until you have all of them?:D

Mack Cameron
03-23-2011, 9:15 AM
I was always under the impression that chucks to turners are like clamps to flatlanders.

You can never have too many!!

Gene Hintze
03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I dunno guys. I have one chuck and if I need to change the jaws it takes about 3 minutes. Can't see spending another $150 on a chuck when I could spend that same money on abrasives or finish or CA or whatever. Maybe the vortex isn't strong enough at my shop. That said, if you like to have a selection of chucks, go for it.

Dick Wilson
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I now have 7 chucks. 4 Nova G3, 2 Super Nova, 1 old Nova. I was told by a Creeker that we all know and love that I may be close to having enough. How many is to many?:confused:

Jeesh Curt, How many is enough? If you have money to buy another one GO FOR IT;) I have one and personally there have been many times I wish I had 2 or 3 more. One that is permanently set up for my jumbo jaws and another one so I can leave a turning in the chuck if for some reason I want to turn something else requiring a chuck.

PS - Your not gloating by any chance:confused::confused::confused::confused::con fused:

Scott Hubl
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I have 10 maybe 11, I gave a 1 or 2 away, or i'd be at 11 or 12. Not counting my vac chucks, you could add 3 or 4 more counting those.(2 complete holdfast systems, and a 220V vac unit)

Oh then I have a few very old ones that I got with my vintage Delta 1460 lathes. (these are more for metal work tho.)

David DeCristoforo
03-23-2011, 1:02 PM
Truth be known, I only have one chuck. Actually, that's not totally accurate. I have a drill chuck and a collet chuck and a screw chuck in addition to my SN2. But I only have the one SN2. So I am doomed to changing jaws, swapping pieces around and all of the other nuisance inconveniences inherent in this crippling limitation. Nevertheless, by some miracle, I am actually able to get some things made...

Tony De Masi
03-23-2011, 1:44 PM
I had this dicussion last week with Kirk DeHeer (Craft Supplies) at the local wood show. He has and uses 20 of them. I was buying my third.

Mike Peace
03-23-2011, 6:52 PM
In his article on chucks in the Dec 2010 American Woodturner, Richard Raffan says, "...but the bad news for tool junkies is that you can probably make do with as few as ten."

I only have two 4 jaw scroll chucks a SN2 and a G3. But I have seven sets of jaws. A couple of more chucks really would be handy.

Jack Mincey
03-23-2011, 8:04 PM
It is simple, When you exceed the weight limit of your floor you have to many. One of the reasons I built my shop on a slab.:):) I should be able to have no limit on chucks. I have two strong holds and two talons as of now, but can see getting a few more in the future if I ever get a deal that I can't walk away from. there really is only a very slight difference in time between changing a chuck and changing the jaws, but I hate changing jaws to do one bowl and than change back to do the next and so on. It does add up to more time than one might think if they are changing back and forth a lot. I used to find my self putting off bowls that I had to change the jaws for until I had them on the chuck for another bowl. If you watch for sales the bodies can be had at a nice savings.
Jack

John M. Smith
03-23-2011, 8:22 PM
I have three.Not nearly enough.I think 6 -10 would be adequate.

John

cliff smith
03-23-2011, 8:30 PM
too many? never happen! got 2 sn2s 1 small nova 1 woodriver and a grizzly for the mini lathe. makes a lot of difference not having to change jaws in middle of a job.

Art Kelly
03-23-2011, 10:54 PM
too many? never happen!

You have to leave room in your shop for tailstock Jacobs chucks. If you have self-ejecting tailstocks you'll need one MT chuck for each size drill bit you regularly use if you do vases, HFs, mills, etc., plus a few extras. Mostly you can get by with low-end Jacobs chucks, but a couple precision ones for items that need to be drilled to precise diameters. I have seven.:o

Curt Stivison
03-24-2011, 3:15 PM
I guess the verdict is in. Can't have to many chucks. Thanks for affirming my opinion. Forgot about Jacob chucks, I only have two of them.

Curt

Roger Bell
03-25-2011, 11:55 PM
You have too many chucks when you have to get rids of some of your bar clamps to make room for additional chucks.

Neil Strong
03-26-2011, 4:45 AM

Correct answer, Baxter.

`
In his article on chucks in the Dec 2010 American Woodturner, Richard Raffan says, "...but the bad news for tool junkies is that you can probably make do with as few as ten."

But, having ten chucks (and jaw sets) I'm afraid that Richard got this one wrong...:rolleyes:

3 to 4 more and I think I can 'make do'...:D

Jake Helmboldt
03-26-2011, 10:41 AM
When you have so many chucks that they replace the ballast on your lathe you probably have too many.

Jack Mincey
03-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I started to say something smart like what is a bar clamp when Roger posted his thread, but then remembered how important they can be in the world of turning. Here is a video of how they can best be used with wood lathes. One last note on chucks. I love to turn but really don't like to change chuck jaws so more chucks equals more fun!!
Jack
Go to topic Miscellaneous in the menu choices and scroll down to Nick Cook's video and you can see how they are best used. If you scroll over to the right in the topic section you will also find a AAW topic with some great video's on turning.
http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php