PDA

View Full Version : 3 Turnings, All different

Jon Lanier
03-22-2011, 7:24 PM
-Josh's Shaving Brush just finished. Turned Alt. Ivory with a Scrimshaw of Leia, his dog that passed away this past December.

-A simple change bowl that I had made from scrap; Paduak, Walnut and Maple. 3 3/4"

-An attempt of a SW Hollow Form. I had a different design on this and messed it up. John Keeton gave me some advice on fixing it. I gave it a try, not sure if I had enough room to make the adjustments he suggested.

David E Keller
03-22-2011, 8:07 PM
Nice work, Jon. I haven't done a shaving brush, but this one really appeals to me. I think the change dish looks great, and the wood on your SW form is phenomenal. It's hard to judge the form without a true profile shot, but I like what I see.

John Keeton
03-22-2011, 8:15 PM
Jon, love the scrimshaw shaving brush!! Very nice. The SW form "redux" is a marked improvement IMO, and I like the laminated/segmented?? bowl, too.

Jon Lanier
03-22-2011, 8:26 PM
Thanks David, I've made one for both boys now. I hope it is something they will always have as a memento. I had both boys there at the time of the turning so they could tell me what shape they wanted on the handle. I think this handle is kinda big, but he is 15 and his hand is bigger than mine already.

Jon Lanier
03-22-2011, 8:27 PM
Thanks for your help, John. You so kind to help me out. I learned a lot from that piece... if anything, for the next time I try. For now it's going up high on a shelf.

Jim Burr
03-22-2011, 8:49 PM
Jon, those are all great! SW HF's or any for that matter can sure test one's mettle...how did you get the red/orange/rust coloring in it? That snack bowl has a great finish and came looks super nice for scraps. I too am drawn to the brush. That alt Ivory has an almost ceramic look too it. Keep it up!

Jon Lanier
03-22-2011, 8:57 PM
Jim, Thanks. The rust/color in the wood just came about through natural spalting. This is the last of the log we found in Xenia, OH a few years ago.

Baxter Smith
03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Nice trio but I am partial to the wood in that HF. Great colors and finish!