PDA

View Full Version : Spalted White Birch Hollow Form

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2011, 7:00 PM
Found a hollow form sitting on my storage shelf that I had roughed out in March of 2007… so I figured it was dry enough to finish! White Birch spalts beautifully but you have to pay attention because there is a very fine line between beautiful wood and too punky to turn! Still – I always figure it is worth the gamble!

Spalted White Birch, 8” diameter x 4 ½” high x 1/8” thick, sanded to 400 grit and has multiple coats of wipe-on poly.

187777 187778 187780 187776 187775 187781 187779 187782

As always – your comments, opinions and/or critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Nate Davey
03-22-2011, 7:16 PM
Wow, that is some beautiful wood and, as always, I love your SW form. The finish is impeccable, I don't know how you manage to get a high gloss finish the doesn't distract from the beauty of the wood and form.

John Keeton
03-22-2011, 7:17 PM
Steve, this one really made a beautiful form! The wood is striking - I still recall the rough out you sent me "early on!" Lot of variation in the color and spalting, and that adds a lot of interest. And, of course, it has the classic "Schlumpf finish!"

Curt Fuller
03-22-2011, 7:26 PM
It must have been that 'super' full moon! There have been some incredible turnings posted recently!

Steve, this is just as nice as they get! That's beautiful wood and I'd say you hit that fine line just about perfect. I love how the spalting wraps around the bottom of the form. Everything thing about it is beautiful. Your finish jobs are always amazing. This is another for me to print out and add to my turning shrine in my shop.

Richard Kennedy UK
03-22-2011, 7:27 PM
Lovely piece I didn't realise that that shape had a specific geography! I will have to do some research into the SW form!

David DeCristoforo
03-22-2011, 7:28 PM
That is sooo sweet! I love your understated SW forms and this is a "classic". The wood is nice but it "ain't all that" and would not be nearly enough to redeem a lesser form. It adds a level of interest but the "bell ringer" is the form itself. I also have to agree with Nate in that the level of gloss is perfect. Enough to get the point across but not so much as to be distracting.

Ron Stadler
03-22-2011, 7:50 PM
Another beauty, that wood has a lot going on in it.

David E Keller
03-22-2011, 7:54 PM
That's really nice! I like the form, and the finish is fantastic. How'd you handle those little cracks around the knots? Another winner!

charlie knighton
03-22-2011, 8:45 PM
very nice....

Michael James
03-22-2011, 8:52 PM
You da man on this form fer sure! Just beautiful all the way around. Thx for posting.

Jim Burr
03-22-2011, 8:57 PM
I looked at the photo of the base (thanks!) and it is totally different in texture than any other view...amazing! As a always the finish is second to none!! Bravo!!

Rich Aldrich
03-22-2011, 8:59 PM
Steve - nice looking wood. I like the form and finish.

BILL DONAHUE
03-22-2011, 9:11 PM
That is a classic - really nice. Each and every one of the pictures look terrific. Wondered what "SJS Woods" meant then figured it out. Why not put you name on it?

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2011, 9:52 PM
Steve that is a beautiful piece as is the wood. Love the form and the Schlumpf finish.

Eugene Wigley
03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Steve, I always look forward to seeing your hollow forms. This one is one of the best. I really like the wood. As always the form and finish are great. Thanks for posting this.

Baxter Smith
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Looks great Steve. Spalted birch is fun to turn and see whats there!

Don Alexander
03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
really nice looking piece i love spalted wood haven't seen any spalt yet that i didn't like hehe

Mark Hubl
03-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Another spot on "Steve" form. Wonderful shape and finish. Great looking wood. Anything else lingerring on the shelf? Nice.

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 1:50 AM
Another lovely form, with wood to match. How did you lose that piece for so long?

Dan

philip labre
03-23-2011, 6:37 AM
Another great piece, Steve. Great form and finish. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Rich
03-23-2011, 7:10 AM
How the heck could you have that wood on the shelf for 4 yrs? Holey moley..I agree Birch spalts very nicely. The colors are pleasing. It's a real beauty.

Cathy Schaewe
03-23-2011, 7:24 AM
Just lovely. Spalted birch can be so beautiful, and that form ....

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-23-2011, 7:32 AM
I always enjoy your hollow forms, Steve. This one is certainly no exception. It must be fun to have enough rough outs lingering on your drying rack that such a fine piece of wood can wait it's "turn".

Fred Belknap
03-23-2011, 8:23 AM
Steve sure is pretty spalting and HF. I can't imagine me leaving a piece setting on a shelf that long unless I just lost it and couldn't find it. That happens in my shop sometimes.

bob svoboda
03-23-2011, 8:50 AM
Once again, a very nice form, Steve. Love the wood and that finish is terrific!

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2011, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

How'd you handle those little cracks around the knots?

Just before I started hollowing and after finish sanding the exterior, I applied a little of the poly to seal the wood and then used CA on all the cracks. The poly keeps the glue from staining the wood and when you apply the finish coats of poly - you would never know the CA was there.

Wondered what "SJS Woods" meant then figured it out. Why not put you name on it?

Bill - writing Steven J Schlumpf on the bottom of small hollow forms just doesn't work very well! Actually, my Grandfather used to initial all his work, his tools - I think absolutely everything he owned... so I am just following in the family tradition.... sort of.

How the heck could you have that wood on the shelf for 4 yrs?

2007 was a very good year for picking up green wood - so I roughed out all I could get! Surprisingly - when you rough out a bunch of turnings each year.... it doesn't take long before you have a 'stash' waiting to be finished. I just found a trash bag of roughed out spalted birch bowls that are every bit as dramatic as this HF. Just haven't been turning bowls lately - so things tend to pile up!

I have plans of picking up lots of green wood this summer... so the process seems never-ending! Sure is fun!

Tim Rinehart
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I too like everything about this piece Steve. It looks like it would be a pleasure to hold and look at various angles. Beautiful piece!

Bill Bolen
03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Gorgeous piece Steve. Makes me wish I lived closer as this one just begs to be held...Bill...

Brian Effinger
03-23-2011, 1:31 PM
Beautiful form, and pretty wood. You did good. :) That spalting is interesting and I bet it would make a viewer want to pick it up and look at the bottom.

Keith E Byrd
03-23-2011, 4:43 PM
I really like this - very nice.

Jim Adkins
03-23-2011, 8:49 PM
Mr. Schlumpf, any possibility you were not a Native American Potter in a previous life?
This form is SOOO SW it's unbeatable. The finish is well.........nice!!

Roger Chandler
03-23-2011, 9:51 PM
You brought out the best in that one! Beautifully finished...........makes all that figure "pop." Very nice Steve!