PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Epilog

Neil Pabia
03-22-2011, 4:58 PM
Is anyone running a Mac with an Epilog? I am sick of my PC crashing and am looking at an IMac but before I part with a few grand, I would like some opinions on if it is worth it and if it will even work. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Dee Gallo
03-22-2011, 5:09 PM
Neil,

I run a MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8), with Bootcamp/Windows XP/CorelDrawX3/Epilog driver. This combo sends files to my Epilog wirelessly with no problems at all. I'm not all hot to update since it works so well, but I imagine newer versions will be just fine too. Don't bother with Parallels, it's very buggy and laborious for no good reason. Plus, Bootcamp comes with your Mac, you just have to install it.

cheers, dee

Scott Shepherd
03-22-2011, 5:46 PM
Before you buy an iMac, be aware they are about 4-6 weeks from launching the new iMac with a faster processor and the Thunderbolt connection. Buying one right now would be buying a model that's going out in a month or so.

Robert Walters
03-22-2011, 6:33 PM
I am sick of my PC crashing and am looking at an IMac...

What version of windows are you running now?
How old is your current computer?

I don't have an Epilog, but I run a MBP + VMWare Fusion w/ XP running in a VM (virtual machine).
I can backup/restore VM's all day long. I even have multiple VM's that I copy and use for testing, then just delete when done. Great for testing that "new" driver without causing havoc with your stable system.

Bob McGinn
03-23-2011, 5:22 AM
Running a Mac Mini with VMWare Fusion & Windows 7. Bulletproof performance with Epilog Helix.

GLENN BRADDY
03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Neil like you ...I'm so over PC... I deal with extented start up times... you name it.. I've over it. I want Dee's setup... I'm finally getting a return on my investment....and it's TIME!!!!

Neil Pabia
03-23-2011, 1:41 PM
What version of windows are you running now?
How old is your current computer?

My laptop is 2 months old and is running windows 7. It has an i5 2.58ghz processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 620hd.

I will hang on a few months and see what the new machines look like before buying one. Yesterday my laptop crashed 3 times and I was fed up with it at the time. I think I found the problem (thanks for the update Microsoft) and have removed it, it seems better now.

Joe De Medeiros
03-23-2011, 2:20 PM
My laptop is 2 months old and is running windows 7. It has an i5 2.58ghz processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 620hd.

I will hang on a few months and see what the new machines look like before buying one. Yesterday my laptop crashed 3 times and I was fed up with it at the time. I think I found the problem (thanks for the update Microsoft) and have removed it, it seems better now.

Your problem may be your windows 7 installation (64bit), going to a mac is not going to help, since you still have to run windows, via Bootcamp or Parallels, having said that I too use a Macbook Pro, and a iMac 24". If you really want to switch, I would wait like Scott said there is a refresh of the iMac's coming soon. In the mean time you may want to get a copy of windows 7 32 bit.

David Fairfield
03-23-2011, 2:51 PM
I recommend a dedicated PC for the laser. I switched from Mac to PC, because they are inexpensive enough to be considered disposable. My thinking was, buy a PC for the workshop, when it gets buggy, just toss it and get a new one.

That was around 2004... but its still going strong, even though the inside is full of cobwebs and sawdust. Meanwhile my Mac died an agonizing death.

Dave

Wes Moore
03-24-2011, 9:38 PM
If you have not identified what is causing the crash you could be just exchanging
another hardware/software package with another hidden bug that will crash
unexpectedly if moving to new hardware.

Some items to check before signing off the PC are:

Check the current version of BIOS. Often vendors will become aware of nitnoy
problems and fix them well after you bought your system. Also the BIOS updates
should be annotated to address what the changes fix or enhance with each
revision.

Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility list to insure your particular machine
is compatible. Often a machine will have one option which does not play nicely
with the OS. If so there may be a software patch to address the compatibility
issue. Search both the PC manufacturers website as well as Microsoft for patches.

Update all Microsoft packages, OS and applications to the latest revs. If using
a browser try shutting it down during use of applications when sending print jobs
to the Epilog to include Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox etc.

Apply all patches to your browsers in use. I have lost count the number of times
a browser has not played nicely or the other apps did not play nicely with the
browser that was open. Often patches will address oddities such as this.

If you are running multiple applications on the same machine try running them
alone. If possible shut down drivers and other items normally started at bootup
for the other applications. I cannot run Corel Draw and AI concurrently on my
box. I do not know why but running one or the other seems ok. Run both and
I am doomed and will get the BSOD frequently.

When you have multiple items open check the memory usage. Once again I
have been nailed by low memory problems on several occasions. Windows
nor the applications will always tell you it is about to blow because of a low
memory issue. I have had AutoCad die in the middle of a complex drawing
simply due to not enough memory. When you have your machine operating
in a typical setting take a moment and look at the resources being utilized.
A simple memory upgrade may work wonders if you are taxing the resources.

Hope this helps out.

Best wishes in your endeavor.

Chuck

John Noell
03-25-2011, 9:31 PM
If you are frequently re-booting, I highly recommend switching to a solid state drive (SSD). Althought they are still more expensive than mechanical hard drives, they are a LOT faster. Boot time and application load times are greatly reduced by the better SSDs. (Adn when my wife saw how fast mine was, she made me buy one for her computer.:))

Robert Walters
03-26-2011, 3:11 AM
My laptop is 2 months old and is running windows 7

Unless you have a specific need for it, maybe pick up a copy of XP (ebay?) instead of Win7.

Yes, it's old, but the thing is the majority of bugs have been worked out over the years,
less of a resource hog, and XP is STILL used on new laptops in the medical world for that reason.

There are very inexpensive (under $100 USD) atom based computers on newegg that are pretty nice.

I see Helix has a ethernet and usb ports - I would use ethernet any chance I had!
Won't help the crashing, but makes it easy to send a job to the laser from any computer.

*I* wouldn't use wireless to any machinery (laser, cnc, etc) personally.
If it ever got hacked, could cause serious safety issues and havoc.

Good Luck!

Joe De Medeiros
03-26-2011, 10:16 AM
There are very inexpensive (under $100 USD) atom based computers on newegg that are pretty nice.

I must be spoiled, I picked up one of these and it seemed just too slow for me, booting up seems to take an eternity.

Robert Walters
03-26-2011, 10:26 AM
booting up seems to take an eternity.

If ANY computer takes more than 3 minutes to boot, seems there are other issues to be addressed.

If you can't wait 3 minutes, then try decafe =)