PDA

View Full Version : Tang Chisel Handle Removal -- How?

Tom LaRussa
01-26-2005, 8:45 AM
This nice Buck Brother's chisel needs a new handle. The question is, how do I remove the old one without messing up the ferrule?

Any ideas?

TIA,

Bob Smalser
01-26-2005, 9:59 AM
Drill a hole in the handle end until the bit hits the tang.

Set the handle in a machinist vise with the handle shoulder bearing on the jaw tops and the ferrule below the jaws, then drive out the tang from the top with a punch. Heat the blade if necessary.

Steve Wargo
01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
<tt>Not meaning to Steal the topic, but... where can you buy ferules? I have a nice old set of chisels that really just need new handles, and I'd like to turn some, but I don't know where to get ferules. Thanks if anyone can help. A PM is fine if you don't want to hijack the thread.

</tt></pre>

Peter Gavin
01-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Steve,

Lee Valley has ferrulles in various sized about .15 each.

Peter

Steve Wargo
01-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Thank you, Ordering some now.

Alan Turner
01-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Or, you can take a cut off of copper pipe, buff it up a bit, and have a pretty solid ferrule. I have done this, and it is even less than the .15, plus shipping, and avoids the nasty tendency to order other "necessities" since one one is ordering anyway.
Alan

Steve Wargo
01-26-2005, 12:00 PM
A little late... already ordered my Ferrules and....... Actually I showed good restraint and only ordered some rare earth magnets, but I think I have enough ferrules to last the rest of my life now.

Dave Anderson NH
01-26-2005, 1:02 PM
"...but I think I have enough ferrules to last the rest of my life now."

If you have too many ferrules, you don't have enough tools Steve:D

One way to get rid of them is to start making some specialized tools for yourself. Triangular awl, triangular dovetail chisel, marking knife, awl, center punch, special turning tools.........

Steve Wargo
01-26-2005, 1:15 PM
I may make new handles for all the tools you mentioned above. I have a large chunk of Purpleheart (and I won't use it for anything else) that I may use to make new handles for most of my smaller tools. And yes I do need more tools.

Tom LaRussa
01-26-2005, 1:56 PM
<TT>Not meaning to Steal the topic, but... where can you buy ferules? I have a nice old set of chisels that really just need new handles, and I'd like to turn some, but I don't know where to get ferules. Thanks if anyone can help. A PM is fine if you don't want to hijack the thread.</TT>
Steve, I know you have enough ferrules to last you a few weeks ... er ... um ... I mean "a lifetime" -- :eek: :D -- but just in case you run out, here is a good source for brass tubing. http://onlinemetals.com/

Don't anybody buy tool steel from them though. Their prices on it are terrible.

Tom LaRussa
01-26-2005, 1:57 PM

Set the handle in a machinist vise with the handle shoulder bearing on the jaw tops and the ferrule below the jaws, then drive out the tang from the top with a punch. Heat the blade if necessary.
Thanks Bob!

I'll give it a go later today and report back with my results.

:)

Steve Wargo
01-26-2005, 2:16 PM
Steve, I know you have enough ferrules to last you a few weeks ... er ... um ... I mean "a lifetime" -- :eek: :D -- but just in case you run out, here is a good source for brass tubing. http://onlinemetals.com/

Don't anybody buy tool steel from them though. Their prices on it are terrible.
Thanks Tom

Bob Smalser
01-26-2005, 2:17 PM
Your local hydraulic repair shop has brass ferrules in about 50 sizes.

Tom LaRussa
01-26-2005, 4:21 PM

Worked like a charm. Three little taps and it was out.

Thanks again, Bob!

:)

Pam Niedermayer
01-26-2005, 8:31 PM
And you still have all your toes? And the blade isn't chipped to death?

Pam

Tom LaRussa
01-26-2005, 8:35 PM
And you still have all your toes? And the blade isn't chipped to death?

Pam
Yep.

Nope.

I put a blanket in a box beneath the chisel before I started tapping. :D