PDA

View Full Version : Leytool hand drills

Staffan Hamala
03-22-2011, 4:21 AM
I saw a couple of Leytool hand drills at an antique store. I'm tempted to go back there today to buy them, but does anyone know anything about this tool? If I buy one, it's because I'm going to use it, not for collecting.

http://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert.php?id=1077&offset=0&sort=0&l1=Manufacturing&l2=
(http://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert.php?id=1077&offset=0&sort=0&l1=Manufacturing&l2=)
I'm planning to buy a hand drill, to have something when the battery charged drill needs re-charging (or even better, not having to use the electrical drill at all :D). Before I saw this drill, I'd mostly been looking at the more usual eggbeater style drill, which feel more usable. That's why I didn't buy them, but maybe they are useful?

Gary Herrmann
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I wonder if an eggbeater would be easier to control, since it's inline with your forearm when gripped. This seems like a cross between a D handle breast drill and an eggbeater. Interesting looking though. Definitely looks like something out of the 50s.

Russell Sansom
03-22-2011, 1:25 PM
If the advert is correct, it would be good to have a hand drill that requires no exertion. A drill that gave pleasure would be a bonus.

But, really, I can't quite get my mind around the difference. If the gears were a bit more efficient than the everyday egg beater, and there were some mass to the dial, it might be worth trying. I use the length of my egg beaters to help keep things aligned.

Staffan Hamala
03-23-2011, 1:04 AM
Thanks. I also think it those would be more difficult to control. I'll skip those and look for an eggbeater instead. :-)

James Taglienti
03-24-2011, 8:37 AM
Shoot... Bring an 8/4 cutoff and a new 1/4" bit down there and have a go at it! I think they look pretty neat! Looks like a cast aluminum housing and handle, eh?

george wilson
03-24-2011, 9:32 AM
A few companys in the 50's tried to make a "different" drill. Even Ruger firearms had a "pistol grip" eggbeater. I wouldn't have as good a sense of directional control without the vertical grip. Only advantage is they are shorter to fit in a small toolbox.

P.S.: I can pretty much bet you that all the metal in that drill,save the chuck and shaft,will be pot metal.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-24-2011, 4:56 PM
When I was a kid, my folks had a pistol grip hand drill. (Fiskars brand, I believe) Was nice for tiny holes in circuit boards and stuff, but not enough oomph for anything more than an 1/8", and that was pushing it depending on material. Wasn't the nicest drill. But I do very distinctly remember the handle making it difficult for drilling from above compared to inline handles.

Although, the enclosed gears look inviting; if you're not careful, on a cold day you can get a scarf caught in the gears of number 2 MF eggbeater. (Stupid move on my part, I know...)

Bill Houghton
03-24-2011, 11:06 PM
When I was a kid, my folks had a pistol grip hand drill. (Fiskars brand, I believe) Was nice for tiny holes in circuit boards and stuff, but not enough oomph for anything more than an 1/8", and that was pushing it depending on material. Wasn't the nicest drill. But I do very distinctly remember the handle making it difficult for drilling from above compared to inline handles.

Although, the enclosed gears look inviting; if you're not careful, on a cold day you can get a scarf caught in the gears of number 2 MF eggbeater. (Stupid move on my part, I know...)

If you've got kids, one of these (points up to original post) might be quite nice. I've got a similar one that I'm saving for the so-far hypothetical grandchildren. I opened it up, and the actual construction isn't much; any number of other eggbeaters (Millers-Falls Nos. 5,70,etc.; Goodell-Pratts; or, if you really get lucky, one of the multi-ratchet North Bros. Yankees) with cast iron construction would serve you better for the long run.