PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic lathe restore and gloat

Julian Tracy
03-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Just picked up this lathe a couple weeks ago off CL for about $150. Came with a fairly nice older set of Craftsman Professional lathe tools as well.

These were a variable speed Reeves drive system. I'd heard they were somewhat problematic, but as it turns out the previous owner had converted it to a simple step-pulley drive system. Came with a Baldor motor.

As it was, it had 4 steps - 800rpm - 3400rpm. I added a 1.5" pulley to the motor's 4step pulley creating a lower 5th speed of about 400rpm. The original owner had also put new spindle bearings is as well.

The vintage-appropriate paint color is puke green, but I decided to go gold. Almost wimped out after painting the door, but went ahead anyways.

It's a bit more metallic than I'd prefer, but it's still pretty cool in person.

This is one solid chunk o-lathe. Runs smooth and quiet, next project is to built an angled lathe tool rack that will cover the entire back wall of the lathe base just above the shelf.

Julian

Brian Effinger
03-22-2011, 12:43 AM
The lathe cleaned up well, and looks good in gold. I think you'll appreciate adding the lower speed, for sanding, and if you get into any faceplate work.
Congratulations. :)

Julian Tracy
03-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Here's a pic of the motor in the stand cabinet. The original motor mount was dropped down from some rods threaded into the bottom of the headstock. I eliminated all of that and simply made a hinged plywood mounting board for the motor, fastened to the back of the motor. the tension is just the motor hanging, it feels about right using a long link belt and the position of the motor's capacitor housing makes for a quick "handle" to ease the slight lifting of it to adjust the belts.

JT

Carroll Courtney
03-22-2011, 6:45 AM
That lathe now has bling,very nice job on a chunk of good ol arn----Carroll

Paul Steiner
03-22-2011, 7:32 AM
WOW it looks like a lathe from the wizard of oz and you suck

Don Morris
03-22-2011, 8:18 AM
Bet you just sit and look at it. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Mike Wilkins
03-22-2011, 3:47 PM
Nice restoration job. You may need to wear sunglasses while in the shop due to the glare from that pain job.

Chris Nolin
03-22-2011, 4:46 PM
Alchemy is real! Nice job, Julian. It's beautiful. Looks like it was found in an Egyptian tomb!