PDA

View Full Version : Adding some zip to a Jet 1236...

Doug W Swanson
03-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Hey all,

I currently have an older Jet 1236 lathe. While it's a decent lathe, I find it some what underpowered. At some point I plan upgrade to a larger lathe (like a larger Jet or Mustard Monster) but that won't happen for a few years.

So my question is this:

Is it easy to swap out the motor for something with more HP? I was thinking something with at least 300hp would help? Oh, wait, I was thinking about cars....:eek:. I'd like to upgrade to 1.5 or 2 hp.

Is that even worth it or should I just save my pennies?

I've thought about buying the Delta 46-460 but then I'd have to buy new chucks because mine are both 1"x8tpi....

Thanks for any advice!

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Doug - personally - I would save my money and pick up a larger lathe - something with additional swing to go with the extra hp.

As far as I know - the Delta 46-460 spindle is 1"x8 tpi - so your chucks would transfer with no problem.

Reed Gray
03-22-2011, 1:01 AM
If you put a big motor on a small lathe, it is like putting a big motor in a small car. Too much muscle for the metal. If you do get a bigger lathe, most chucks have inserts for the different spindle sizes, so you can swap out the insert rather than buy a new chuck. There are thread adapters, but they make things stick out too far, and you get more vibration.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
03-22-2011, 7:56 AM
If you turn on a 1236 the Delta would be a good upgrade. The only issue with your chucks would be if they do not have inserts (PSI) and no grub screw. The grub screw is needed if you want to use the Delta's reverse feature.

Dennis Ford
03-22-2011, 8:10 AM
I love home made and modified stuff but unless you get a really good deal on the motor, this is not likely to be cost effective. If you do it, get a motor with the same speed and the same frame size (if possible). If the frame size is different, you will likely have to replace the pulley and belt.

Russell Eaton
03-22-2011, 8:15 AM
You need to look closely at the larger motor. The way that it mounts on a 1236 faces the headstock. If the motor is longer it will go past the headstock and be in the way of turning. I sold my jet 1236 and bought a Delta 46-460 and have no regrets. The little increase in hp was a improvement.

Doug W Swanson
03-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably just save my money and wait for the right deal on a larger lathe to come along....

Jim Underwood
03-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Good idea. I'm not sure the Reeves Drive would hold up under higher HP either. They are somewhat problematic anyway, and if you up the HP, then it's wear factor is not likely to get any better...

Jim Burr
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm moving up to the 1642 EVS 1 1/2hp. I don't want to run 220 for the 2hp. And the Sale price of the 1642 is very reasonable! Jet stuff has never let me down and the price always seems better than competitive.