PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Pro 2000 DC

Smith, David W.
03-21-2011, 8:45 PM
When I moved into my new shop, the dust collector was sort of cobbled together, enough to work but not what I wanted for a long term solution. So I decided to search for a new DC, one that would last for a while, allow for future expansion and growth and one that would be more professional and utilitarian.

So I searched and read. I considered a Grizzly G0442. I have a friend with a commercial shop and his works well enough but the bracket which holds the air filter is a POJ. Bends easily and I wonder when it will fall off.

I looked at Penn State but there was just something about it I didn't like. I can't explain it but it was a judgement call.

I finally settled on the Oneida. Actually the sales rep suggested a 3 1/2 hp Gorilla but when I really looked at the specs and prices, the Pro 1500 just looked better. Higher CFM, more power, longer warranty, equal price, free design service and other things. I placed the order but called back to change to the Pro 2000 for the small increase in price.

So here is where I am now. The DC arrived last Friday and I had it in the shop and unpacked ready for assembly, all 450 pounds of it. The packing from Oneida was terrific, each box was labeled with the part number which made it easy to check off the packing slip, the instruction booklet is easy to read and follow and the instructions are clear and concise.

Okay so I get the cyclone assembled, the stand is up and I winch the cyclone on to the stand. WOW! Even without the 135 pound motor the stand is a "Shaky Jake" and wobbles and twists so much that I was worried it might twist to the floor on its own. Now, this is the $218.00 optional stand so I expected more, much more. In fact it will move with the pull from my pinkie finger.

As luck would have it, my insurance agent and the underwriter walk in to inspect before the policy renewal. Long story short, after some inspection, the underwriter refuses to include the new cyclone in my coverage and almost refused to renew if the shaky stand is still there when the renewal happens.

So I call Oneida and ask for a return and an exchange for the standard wall mounted stand. The rep says he can take care of that without the 20% restocking fee but at the end of the conversation he changes course and says upper management will have to look this over. That was at 8:30 this morning and I still haven't heard back from Oneida. At this point I doubt that I will.

In short, if you are considering an Oneida DC, stay clear of the optional 4 legged stand. In a word, it is a POJ!

I am now wondering if the to scale drawing I sent in of the shop for their "free" design service will ever be worked on.

John Morrison60
03-21-2011, 8:58 PM
Give them a chance to make it right.
My experience with Oneida has been constantly positive.
I would expect them to stand up and correct your issues.

John

Stephen Cherry
03-21-2011, 9:17 PM
One thing to remember is that flexing and strength are two different issues. Plus the bolts would need to be really tight.

That said, I bought a 3 hp gorilla used, and it came with a stand that was OK. I decided though that the wall bracket bolted to the wall, with two threaded rods from the fan housing to the ceiling was a better option for me. Super sturdy, and nothing in the way on the floor.

Dave MacArthur
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm surprised... I have the Pro2000 with the stand, and my stand is pretty solid and stable? I mean, it's 1.5" angle iron. I just went out and pushed it around, ok, it has some flex, but if you added one or two diagonal cross members and 5 min work, it would be rock solid? I'd say just add some diagonal bracing and horiz members down near feet. I still think the stand is much to be preferred to the wall hanger!

James Baker SD
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a pro 2000 that is about a year old and the stand seems strong enough in the vertical position (although the current stand on the web does not look like mine so maybe they have changed models). I needed a neighbor to help me get the whole thing up and he wanted to assemble it (the motor) lying down and then tilt it up to vertical. I was a little afraid about the stand buckling during this tilt/raise operation so I reinforced with additional angle iron near the base. I think it is pretty solid today.

James

Stephen Cherry
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I still think the stand is much to be preferred to the wall hanger!

I would agree- the wall hanger without the additional threaded rods to the ceiling is not too solid if mounted to a wooden framed wall. With the threaded rods suspending some of the weight, it's a solid setup.

Eddie Watkins
03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I have an Oneida 3 hp that is several years old. A couple of years ago it got really noisy and was considering an upgrade so I called Oneida. They had me check a few things and when it turned out to be the fan, they shipped me a new fan free. They were good people to do business with. Hopefully, nothing has changed.

Smith, David W.
03-22-2011, 6:30 AM
The optional stand sold now is made from tubing, aka conduit. I could live with angle iron. The whole thing is flimsy even with all the bolts tightened down enough to deform the washers.

Overall, the DC looks to be well made, the stand not so and the experience with the company rep didn't inspire any real confidence or give me that warm fuzzy feeling when purchasing over $2500 worth of goods. Maybe I should have purchased the Grizzly and beefed up the filter support.

Dan West02
03-22-2011, 5:39 PM
I have the three legged stand that came with my V3000. It is VERY solid.

Paul McGaha
03-22-2011, 5:48 PM
I have a 2 HP Dust Gorilla with the optional stand (4 legs).

It's made of tubing as mentioned above and I'd say it's ok. There's no movement to it. I expect it will last.

They could make a heavier duty stand no doubt but I'm sure it would cost more.

I havent had any issues with mine it all and I'd buy Oneida again without hesitation.

David I do hope things work out ok for you. I'm thinking they will. Oneida's a good company.

PHM

Smith, David W.
03-22-2011, 9:40 PM
The stand consists of 4 legs made from 1 1/4" thin wall tubing, aka conduit. Not the most stable material. I've seen others with angle iron stands which look to be more substantial and much easier to brace. Why anyone would design a stand made from conduit, except for a cost savings, is beyond my understanding. The DC is top heavy anyway and the weak/flimsy stand could be a problem down the road.

I did finally call Oneida this morning and the rep agreed to take the stand back without the 20% restocking fee and will send the wall mount once the stand is received. Once I receive the duct design, I will get new ducting, mount the DC to a steel upright and install the ducting and get back to work.

Lou Ortiz
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I went through the same decision making process and came to the same conclusion on the pro2000. I really don't have any problem with the stand as the system's engineered to have the cyclone body providing rigidity. Once it's completely assembled, stand doesn't move much. I suppose you could design a stand that doesn't move at all, but I don't think it would add much to value to the system. I have been really pleased with Oneida's support, so if you truly can't live with the stand, I think they'll take care of you. They also did the design service pretty quickly and they have gone above and beyond in making sure I was happy.

Out of all of the tools I've purchased, Oneida's been one of the best companies I've dealt with.

Chris Fournier
03-26-2011, 6:59 PM
Their wall mounted stand is no great shake either. I welded gussets on mine but I would have used heavier angle iron for the horizontal members. I think that it is a very poor business practice to include such crappy accesories when your product is quite robust. The cyclone body won't do much at all to add rigidity to the floor stand.

Dave MacArthur
03-27-2011, 3:48 AM
Honestly, I'd weld or bolt up a stand out of angle iron. Mine is from Oneida maybe 3 years old? Got the Pro2000 used lightly. Let me know if you want some pics of how the thing is made, it's really not too complex if you have a welder and some meta cutting discs.