PDA

View Full Version : Holly Gloat

Nate Davey
03-21-2011, 8:30 PM
Ahh spring. The time of year when the "I'm sick of raking up these leaves" guys cut down the only thing that shades their house from the blistering sun. Oh well, their silliness is my gain. The wife and I were taking our "dog" for a walk when I heard the melodious sound of a chain saw. Found this guy cutting down a Holly and got this little haul from him. He's cutting another down and said he would drop the big pieces off at the house. Got the bark off immediately so as not to get some staining in the wood. We'll see. This stuff is white, looking forward to trying some finials and pedestals with it.

Donny Lawson
03-21-2011, 8:41 PM
Looks good. Holly is a good wood. Why are you suppose to remove the bark? I brought some Holly home last week but didn't remove the bark. Is that not good?

Nate Davey
03-21-2011, 8:46 PM
I was told if the bark is left on it will discolor the wood. Anyone else heard this

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 8:47 PM
That's a great find. I love turning holly... We've got a couple of trees outside my office that I think are holly trees. I'm just trying to figure out how to cut them down without someone driving by and calling the cops.

Richard Madden
03-21-2011, 8:49 PM
Nice haul. Have fun with it. I believe I've heard the same about removing the bark.

Cathy Schaewe
03-21-2011, 8:58 PM
That's a great find. I love turning holly... We've got a couple of trees outside my office that I think are holly trees. I'm just trying to figure out how to cut them down without someone driving by and calling the cops.

There's a huge burl on an apple tree right in the middle of one of the local municipalities. LOML says it would be bad if I got caught, chainsaw in hand, in the middle of the night ... :D:eek: I can just see the headlines ...

Great gloat!

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Nice! Good haul, hope you get some more.