PDA

View Full Version : cherry burl

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 6:41 PM
Here's a little void-ridden piece of cherry burl that I roughed out before the shop overhaul. I finished it a month or two ago, but I'd forgotten to take photos. It's darkened up nicely since I finished it, so it's probably a good thing that I forgot about it.

It's about 7.5 inches in diameter. Finished with shellac and WOP.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

I included a photo of the bottom just for Jim Burr... I hope you're feeling better.:D

John Keeton
03-21-2011, 6:50 PM
David, that is one beautiful piece of wood!! I like the form with the tighter radius on the shoulder, and the voids in this piece really are a special treat. Great work.

Time for you to fess up, David, just where in the hospital do you have the extra lathe hidden?!?!?!?

Russell Eaton
03-21-2011, 6:59 PM
That is one incredible piece. Did you use tape for extra strength?

Michael James
03-21-2011, 7:01 PM
Awesome chunk of cherry to the finishline....that thing looks ancient. Love it, thanks for posting!
mj

Johnny Taylor
03-21-2011, 7:08 PM
Great wood,great shape,great finish, cool voids(always makes turning fun!!) Love it.

Curt Fuller
03-21-2011, 7:11 PM
David, that's one of the most beautiful Hollowforms I've seen! That's an incredible piece of wood, but what really makes it is your form and how you oriented the voids. I think I'm going to have to print that out and bow to it everytime I go into my shop!

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2011, 7:21 PM
Excellent! Love the wood, the form and all the character! Very - very nice hollow form!

Jim Burr
03-21-2011, 7:21 PM
Amazing doc!! And thanks for the pic;)! The bottom can really make or break a piece and that is my biggest weak spot. I love the finish...all you notice it the wood. The form is very full and the radius John mentioned really gets your eyes to the voids.
With any luck, I'll be out of jail tomorrow, just want to be home and I miss the shop!!!! Thanks for the cheer up!!

Baxter Smith
03-21-2011, 7:39 PM
Great form, finish, voids, and the wood is kind of nice too! Great job David!

Darren Jamieson
03-21-2011, 7:53 PM
I agree with all that has been said, Great work on the one!!

Jeff Myroup
03-21-2011, 7:55 PM
I really like this piece. Great form, beautiful piece of wood

Dennis Ford
03-21-2011, 8:13 PM
You had a great vision of what was inside that burl and your execution is right on.

Richard Madden
03-21-2011, 8:23 PM
Cherry is one of my favorites, but when you throw in the burl and voids, that just sends this little puppy right over the top!! All that, and an excellent form and finish make it a winner! Can you tell I like it???

Jon Nuckles
03-21-2011, 8:42 PM
Another excellent piece. What is your secret to keeping a piece with that many voids together?

Cathy Schaewe
03-21-2011, 8:45 PM
Beautiful! You're really on a roll -;)

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 8:56 PM
Thanks to all for commenting.

...Time for you to fess up, David, just where in the hospital do you have the extra lathe hidden?!?!?!?

I like the way you think! Unfortunately, hospital administrators tend to be somewhat narrow minded when it comes to large recreational power tools in the facility... I could always try the 'Happy surgeon is a productive surgeon' line, but I don't think it would get me anywhere.

That is one incredible piece. Did you use tape for extra strength?

No tape or wraps on this piece. I probably should have, but I get so immersed in these defective bits of wood that I don't think about things like that.

David, that's one of the most beautiful Hollowforms I've seen! That's an incredible piece of wood, but what really makes it is your form and how you oriented the voids. I think I'm going to have to print that out and bow to it everytime I go into my shop!

Send me your address, and I'll mail you the real thing... It's not worth bowing to, but it's yours if you want it.

Another excellent piece. What is your secret to keeping a piece with that many voids together?

Luck

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Very nice David. That wood is beautiful! I think you got everything you could out of it. Nice form.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
David that is absolutely beautiful piece. Love the wood and the voids just set the piece off.

Eugene Wigley
03-21-2011, 11:03 PM
David, your form, the figure in the burl, and the incredible voids really make this a great turning. I just can't imagine how you could keep it from breaking on the lathe. This one is really nice.

Kathy Marshall
03-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Ditto what everyone else said! Beautiful piece

Doug W Swanson
03-21-2011, 11:36 PM
David,
You sure have been cranking out the pieces lately. They are all beautiful and this one is no exception!

Michelle Rich
03-22-2011, 5:24 AM
A-1 turning !

David DeCristoforo
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Don't know how I missed this one. Like JK, I really like these "low profile" forms. This one is really well done. The "void riddled" quality of the wood adds a whole 'nuther dimension. The fact that you were able to keep that little "peninsula" attached is nothing short of miraculous!

Richard Kennedy UK
03-22-2011, 7:42 PM
I missed it too wow I am glad I found it now fabulous piece Thanks for the inspiration

BILL DONAHUE
03-22-2011, 9:31 PM
Man, what a great piece. Just happen to be watching a video borrowed from my club by Chris Stott on natural edges and hollowed forms and in the intro a group of pieces like this are shown. Your piece is as good as any one of them.