PDA

View Full Version : Gun stock checkering

Jerry DePuma
03-21-2011, 3:12 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first of probably many questions concerning laser engraving.

I have a 60W machine form FSE that runs with Lasercut 5.3. I'm trying to do some checkering on a gun stock and some pistol grips. Is it even possible to do with Lasercut?

I just can't get the checkering pattern put together, perhaps someone could give me a little insight on how to get the pattern started or maybe share a file of one that was already done. I'm using CorelDraw X5 and importing it into Lasercut

I've seen a post from the past that had some photos and the stock looked great.

Your help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

AL Ursich
03-21-2011, 4:42 PM
The trick he used was running a few different files and some a few times to get the depth...

The out of focus as it rounds over looks like the biggest problem....

Good Luck,

AL

Sandy Henry
03-22-2011, 1:56 AM
Jerry, I'll give you a couple checkering samples that I have not tried yet. I don't know how to attach files here so send me an e-mail & I will e-mail back with an attachment. Sandy
simplifysandy@aol.com

Jerry DePuma
03-22-2011, 5:16 AM
Thanks Sandy, e-mail on it's way.

I read through the thread agian that I mentioned before and started playing with the crosshatching as a fill. Looks like it might work but the question still remains how to get the angle on the pattern. I was thinking about what Al mentioned about cutting several times and a little out of focus. I'm going to give it a try when I gat a chance.

Please keep the inout coming, this forum is great and very informational.

Jerry

Rob Patterson
03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
I am not sure how this will work with your program, but here is a checkering pattern I developed. It's not perfect, but I like it better than most others I have tried (except maybe the snakeskin.)

Larry Bratton
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Rob,
Please post this as a Corel 12 file so more people can look at it (me included). Thanks

Rob Patterson
03-22-2011, 2:56 PM
Try this......

Larry Bratton
03-22-2011, 3:57 PM
Thanks Rob.
X3 opened it right up!

Bill Cunningham
03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Epilog has a file on their sample club page..

http://www dot epiloglaser dot com/sc_gunstock.htm

Mike Null
03-23-2011, 6:23 AM
There have been previous posts on checkering so try doing a search.

Gordon Kircher
03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Rob, Could you tell me more about snakeskin?

Thanks in advance,

G

Rob Patterson
03-23-2011, 2:13 PM
Rob, Could you tell me more about snakeskin?

Thanks in advance,

G

There are a few threads about this. Some call it fish scales, I just think "snake skin" sounds cooler. Here is one, but there are others...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?136003-Gun-Grip-Engraving

Here is a picture of a set of grips I made.

Jerry DePuma
03-25-2011, 7:26 AM
Wow, very nice. That what I'm looking for.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, and for the sample files they sent.

Jerry

Richard DiMaggio
03-14-2013, 9:41 AM
I am resurrecting this old thread to see if there is any interest in this application and if I can help anyone accomplish it...
rj

Mike Null
03-14-2013, 9:59 AM
Richard
There is a continuing interest in such methods and any enhancements for them.

Vicki Rivrud
03-16-2013, 9:57 AM
I am resurrecting this old thread to see if there is any interest in this application and if I can help anyone accomplish it...
rj
I would love to learn this technique.

Are you doing this in a laser that does NOT have the 3d feature?

Vicki

Richard DiMaggio
03-18-2013, 2:07 PM
Vicki, to answer your question.... no. I think I understand 3D to be a true "Z" or third axis. I am attempting to come up with a solution to engraving on a curved (actually domed) surface with an attachment or plug in to a 2D (just X and Y) setup, but would probably be difficult to make something generic for all the available systems out there. It may be easier to offer the "attachment" with outputs to take over your existing table motors and laser on/off signals.
I have seen this gun stock and gun grips applications where if you were engraving on a curved surface, you just set your focus to the half way point and blast away. Obviously, this is not the perfect solution. Better results would be obtained by having the Z axis move the part to be engraved into the focal plane while the X/Y was moving around. One step better would be to keep the surface perpindicular to the beam as well. Just moving the Z up and down does not accomplish this. I want to be able to engrave on a baseball. (or cut an eggshell!)