PDA

View Full Version : calipers home made

Harry Robinette
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I thought this might help some of the beginners with a tool they can build. My first set was made from 1/8th inch Baltic Birch ply and worked for 5 or 6 years,These were made by a friend out of sheet metal he used my wood ones for the pattern.Hope it helps.187573187574187575the opening is the same size as the area between the two black makes.You put a thin washer between the two pieces and use a self locking nut to adjust the presser to hold the position of the arms.
Close the caliper and mark the top free arm in position to the flat edge of the top of the U arm, that is how the caliper gets it's exact sizing mark.

Jerry Marcantel
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I thought this might help some of the beginners with a tool they can build. My first set was made from 1/8th inch Baltic Birch ply and worked for 5 or 6 years,These were made by a friend out of sheet metal he used my wood ones for the pattern.Hope it helps.187573187574187575the opening is the same size as the area between the two black makes.You put a thin washer between the two pieces and use a self locking nut to adjust the presser to hold the position of the arms.Close the caliper and mark the top free arm in position to the flat edge of the top of the U arm, that is how the caliper gets it's exact sizing mark. ???????????? .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Keith E Byrd
03-21-2011, 3:02 PM
Harry, being a relative newby here I appreciate any attempt to provide some help and insight and I understand the use of calipers but I am confused by this.

Rodney Walker
03-21-2011, 5:13 PM
Very nice set of calipers. Looks to be a well thought out design and very useful for measuring wall thicknesses of your turnings. For those who are not quite seeing how they work, the black lines on the swinging piece and the upper arm of the "U" shaped arm is the Zero mark. It looks as though it would be easy to add graduated marks on the upper arm of the "U" shaped arm to correspond to the difference in distance between the points. What are the rough dimensions? Thank you for posting this, your friend does some nice work.
Rodney

Jon Lanier
03-21-2011, 6:40 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a pattern you can post so we can cut our own out?
Thanks.

Harry Robinette
03-21-2011, 9:38 PM
Sorry I confused everyone I well try to rethink this and post at a later date.

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Harry, I don't think it is too confusing. Just adds a picture of you measuring a form. I think the caliper measurement function would then become pretty clear. Nice fabrication!

Jim Underwood
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Nice job on those calipers Harry.

What gauge steel did your friend use, and approximately what size are these?

Ricc Havens
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I would be interested in a drawing or plan if you are willing to share that.

Thanks
Ricc Havens

Keith E Byrd
03-22-2011, 2:05 PM
Harry, don't be sorry. It is just something that I haven't seen and couldn't figure out. Rodney's comments helped tremndoously and I can now say "I got the light!" Thanks for posting the pitures.

Tim Thiebaut
03-22-2011, 2:29 PM
Nice work on those Harry, I may have to make a set for my collection of calipers, not that I have many but am working on it.