PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Inspiration Done

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Well I got around to finishing this piece. A southwest form with a little yin yang influence. I do like butternut, although it is a little soft. The piece is finished with BLO and four coats of AO. After reading Wally's post on sanding, I decided to oil/sand the piece. I sanded in the BLO. Worked very well on this. The piece has a nice sheen a little bit more glossy than satin. The AO was buffed with horsehair brush.

Ron Stadler
03-21-2011, 1:45 AM
Really nice job Mark, Iv'e often wondered how these forms were done:confused: Are they turned then carved some how or is it some kind of off center turning? Would love to try one some day but need more information on what the process is.

Michelle Rich
03-21-2011, 6:38 AM
neat Mark. I've never (to my poor memory) have seen a ying/yang on a vessel like this.

Jim Burr
03-21-2011, 7:16 AM
Beautifiul effort Mark. Ying yang was a nice idea for this one!

Darren Jamieson
03-21-2011, 7:45 AM
Mark this peice looks real nice. I leep seeing the carving at SMC and am starting to wonder if there is yet another thing I need to learn. Great job as usual.

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2011, 7:52 AM
Sure finished up nice! The BLO/AO gave it a warm glow! I really like the simple curve of the carving - nothing overly ornate - and the way it adds yet another dimension to the piece. Very nice work!

Maria Alvarado
03-21-2011, 7:53 AM
Mark that really is a fabulous piece. The carving really complements the form, just beautiful.

Curt Fuller
03-21-2011, 8:13 AM
Even nicer than I thought it would turn out. Beautiful!

John Keeton
03-21-2011, 8:21 AM
Mark, this piece looks good from all angles! Great idea, great work, and the butternut is the perfect piece for this. A job well done!

bob svoboda
03-21-2011, 8:53 AM
Really nice, interesting piece. It finished out great. Nicely done!

philip labre
03-21-2011, 9:07 AM
Mark, Great piece! Although soft, I'll bet the butternut was nice to carve. I've been using Wally's tip of oil sanding with the lower grits too and really like the results.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2011, 9:46 AM
That turned out beautiful. Finish has a warm luster to it. Well done Mark.

Dan Forman
03-21-2011, 1:33 PM
Love the look of this, excellent finnish. Have never seen that sort of carving before, sets it off nicely.

Dan

Johnny Taylor
03-21-2011, 1:59 PM
This is a gorgeous looking piece Mark. Great work!

Roger Chandler
03-21-2011, 2:07 PM
Nice piece Mark! Soft lustre on the finish and a beautifully carved and colored piece of wood. Looks like you may have a developing genre here, ala Jordan, and it is an area that can be further developed by you for sure........thanks for showing this!

Robert McGowen
03-21-2011, 3:28 PM
Great form and the carving accents it very well.

charlie knighton
03-21-2011, 3:36 PM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
03-21-2011, 7:43 PM
Very pretty! Having never whittled anything more than kindling I can't quite imagine how you did this.

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks to all who followed the other thread and have commented on the piece. I almost hate to call this carving. There are some wonderful carvers out there with extraordinary skills, that have taken years to develop. I think of this more as sculpting, now I probably have offended the sculptures. In any case I first did this type of relief carving on a jewelry box in high school wood shop, circa 74.:eek: I still have that jewelry box.

Techniques are pretty straight forward, remove a little wood and then sand. I use a power carver to start, but if you have good chisel skills, they work fine. A burr tool of some sort comes in handy and if you have a sanding apprentice, super.

This piece will be delivered in the morning to my friends in AZ!

Iv'e often wondered how these forms were done:confused: Are they turned then carved some how or is it some kind of off center turning? Would love to try one some day but need more information on what the process is.
Ron, This is a link with some pictures of this piece being done. Just turned and then carved/sculpted.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161872-WIP-Southwest-Inspiration

Bob Bergstrom
03-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Thats another beauty. Great curves everywhere.

Kathy Marshall
03-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Very nice piece Mark! I really like everything you did with it!

Doug W Swanson
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Very well done! You did a great job!