PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Bandsaw

John Brennaman
01-25-2005, 8:52 PM
Does anyone know anything about Rikon bandsaws? Woodcraft has the RIKON 18" 2-HP Bandsaw Model 10-340 on sale for $895.00. It sounds like a good price but, I am unfamiliar with the Brand. Any advice?

Thanks, John

Gary Max
01-25-2005, 8:59 PM
They have had a lot of very good reveiws. I had a chance to look one over in a store and it seemed to be a heck of a good buy. I menory serves me it even had a 2 year warranty.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2005, 7:59 AM
That's a great deal for an 18" BS! I wonder if they'll have them in the store?

Ken Salisbury
01-26-2005, 8:06 AM
That's a great deal for an 18" BS! I wonder if they'll have them in the store?
Why buy a Rikon when you can get a Jet 18" cheaper ? ? ? ?

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2005, 8:12 AM
Here in Dallas the Jet 18" is $1099...even the 16" is $850 or $899.

Gary Whitt
01-26-2005, 8:23 AM
Around here, the Jet is more expensive.

Ken Salisbury
01-26-2005, 8:26 AM
Around here, the Jet is more expensive.

Check this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16044

John Brennaman
01-26-2005, 9:03 AM
All,

Thanks for the input. I don't know if they are in the store or not. I'm on vacation right now and won't be able to check for a couple of weeks. Vacation is nice but, I sure miss my wood shop.

John

Ted Shrader
01-26-2005, 9:21 AM
Hi John -

Welcome to the Creek. A friendly place to hang out and exchange ideas. Great to have you.

Jet recently made changes to their 18" bandsaw. The ones from General Industrial referenced in the thread have a 10¼" resaw capacity. The new ones have 12". If that makes no difference to you in your projected usage, go for it. It is a good closeout deal.

I looked over a Rikon 18" at the local Woodcraft. Looks like a solid machine. I saw it after the Minimax landed in my shop. Had the Rikon been on the floor earlier, it would have received strong consideration.

Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2005, 9:25 AM
A FWW article in 2004 IIRC, rated bandsaws and I think the Ricon was rated very highly again, IIRC.

Silas Smith
01-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Being one of the few people who actually own a Rikon, I thought I would put in my .02. I have the 14 inch model ($429 delivered) and have used it on a few projects. There are a few things that I like about the machine. First, it is sturdy. Compared to a cast iron 14", there is a sense of stability about the machine. I like the carter type guides and it runs smooth with little vibration, if any. Once the blade and guides are adjusted, you can forget about them. The two things that bother me about the 14" are addressed in the 18" because of the higher resaw capacity (only 6 1/2" on the 14" with no riser option) and the lack of a quick release tension lever. All things being equal though, I would get the Jet, for nothing more than the resale value. When I go to upgrade, which I always do, I will not be able to get near the resale for my Rikon as you will for the Jet.

John Brennaman
01-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Once again thanks for all the input. It looks as though I won't get hurt if I buy the Rikon. I'll look over the Rikon, Grizzly and Jet real good before I make a final decision and spend my entire annual power tool budget. Resale value is probably not a consideration because I drive my cars until the wheels fall off and I do the same with my power tools. Resaw height is of some consideration for future use and I always try to look ahead.

Thanks, John

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2005, 5:43 PM
Ken, not to be a stick in the mud, but when I looked at the site it mentions they are refurbs. So why buy a refurb when you can have a new with 2 year warranty.

I read a nice review on the Rikon. I think it will be a very good saw for those looking. I already have a 17" or it might get my full focus.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2005, 7:05 PM
Most re-furbs carry the standard warranty and the best thing is that they are individually tested versus the batch testing that happens with the regular production tools. I have no problems with re-furbs...especially given the savings.

John Bush
01-26-2005, 8:33 PM
Hi John,
I did months of research on which ~18" BS to buy and had the chance to see most popular brands in the flesh. I resisted the urge to buy the MM16 $$ range and felt the Rikon was well worth the gamble. It is a very solid, stabile machine that has plenty of power. Slicing off <1/8" veneer has proven to be simple,safe, and fun. The guides are easy to adjust, blade changes are <5 min. I had a small weld pop loose and the Co. pres. sent a complete new tensioning assembly with reengineered components and a new, longer tensioning rod. I'm very pleased with the machine and feel it's the best value out there, more so @$899.00. I recommend that you head to Woodcraft and do a test drive. And definitely keep the Rikon 18 on top of your short list. Good luck, John.

Ken Salisbury
01-27-2005, 5:46 AM
Ken, not to be a stick in the mud, but when I looked at the site it mentions they are refurbs. So why buy a refurb when you can have a new with 2 year warranty.

I read a nice review on the Rikon. I think it will be a very good saw for those looking. I already have a 17" or it might get my full focus.

They also sell "scratch and dent" -- mostly items returned to the distribution center in Nashville. The $895.00 price is for a new unit w full warranty. Their regular price for this saw new is $1100.00. Their price for S&D is $779.00. The latest Woodcraft price is $999.00

John Brennaman
01-27-2005, 3:25 PM
John,

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely do a test drive at my local Woodcraft store when I get back home.

John

Erin Stringer
01-27-2005, 7:11 PM
I was in my local Woodcraft today and took a look at the 18" saw. First off, its huge. I was contemplating one for sometime down the road but with a 90* bend in the basement stairs I don't think I would get it down there in one piece. The salesperson said they are selling like crazy at the sale price, 2 have been sold sight unseen (going on reviews I assume). Looks like a good deal to get into if the S&D Jet doesn't pan out.