PDA

View Full Version : PVA Glue Uses

Jim Powers
03-20-2011, 8:49 PM
Has anyone used PVA glue to glue up mdf to masonite? I am trying to use 1/4" masonite for a top surface on my new router table. The top is 1/2" MDF.

Thanks,

Jim

Scott Holmes
03-20-2011, 9:10 PM
Have not done this but I would not expect any problems. Will take some time to dry.

Phil Thien
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I've glued hardboard to plywood with PVA. It has been fine. Need a lot of clamping pressure if you're gluing the smooth side of hardboard.

PVA is the basic ingredient for a lot of things. I was reading today about how PVA glue is the basic ingredient for many concrete sealers, and is an additive to many concrete patching compounds (keeps it flexible and gives it some extra bite).

Chip Lindley
03-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Why don't you just say [I]yellow wood glue! aka PVA.

It should work as long as you don't try for 100% coverage. Continuous beads of glue every inch or so will spread out for sufficient coverage when the two pieces come together. Rather than trying to clamp it all down, turn the glue-up upside-down on a very flat surface (work bench?) and put LOTS of weight on it. It will dry as flat as the surface it sets up on.

Chris Parks
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I have done this when making blast gates and they have not fallen apart yet. The blast gates were masonite bodies with MDF locating rings for the pipe to fit into.