PDA

View Full Version : Two Water Dogs

Bob Smalser
01-25-2005, 8:29 PM
http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2597650/82686117.jpg

Wife wanted another flushing dog to train.

Five days together and like old pals....Nan the Newf, 13 years....Katie the English Cocker, 4 months.

Steve Ash
01-26-2005, 8:54 AM
These water dogs were from our Female AKC Lab, Honey-Behr

Mark Singer
01-26-2005, 9:00 AM
Bob,

Great looking pair! I have a 13 1/2 year old lab...Java
and Dexter...the 5 pound thinks he weighs 150pound Chuauawa

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2005, 11:02 AM
A 6 yr old black lab and this goof - Leo. He's 2 and still all puppy. We've had labs for over 15 years and some never lose the puppy thing.

Tom LaRussa
01-27-2005, 8:07 AM
Wife wanted another flushing dog to train.

Five days together and like old pals....Nan the Newf, 13 years....Katie the English Cocker, 4 months.
Boy, they must have had a tough day. They both look exhausted! :D

Below are Willow, (Rottie-Rescue; probably a mix), Augie, (Bichon Frise), and Morgan, (Beagle).

Can anybody guess who is Alpha?

Hint: Size doesn't seem to matter much in the canine world...

Corvin Alstot
01-27-2005, 7:43 PM
These guys move pretty quick!
Indy (on the left), Tigger and Cosmo!

Mike Cutler
01-28-2005, 9:23 AM
Bob. I'd be interested to hear how the English Cocker works out. I know that the American Cocker appears to have had all the hunting/flushing instincts bred out of it in the search for some theoretical conformation breed standard.
I own Vizsla's myself for hunting. Next dog may be Wirehaired Pointing Griffon because they are so wild looking, great swimmers for ducks also. It'll be sort like shifting to a "four wheel drive dog" from a ferrari.

James Carmichael
01-28-2005, 5:42 PM
Always been a pointin dog man myself:

Kyle Stiefel
01-29-2005, 12:09 AM
here a couple pics of partner in crime, she is 14 months old helps out quite a bit in the shop

Michael Barry
01-29-2005, 10:55 PM
This guy's name is Boo. He's afraid of everything. He's a 6 month old keeshond. We had a female keeshond previously and she loved the water, jumped in our canal at all the most inopportune times. We don't live on a canal any more so I'm not sure how Boo feels about the water.

Jerry Olexa
01-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Bob I think you'll be very pleased w the English Cocker. Prior to the 2 labs, we had an English cocker. They are very different temperment and instincts vs the American cocker . Unfortunately, the American cocker was overbred and lost many of its favorable traits. You'll do well.

Bob Smalser
01-30-2005, 2:00 AM
Thanks, Jerry.

Was raised with English Setters and Springers doing both upland and waterfowl, so am familiar with the type. Our last gun dog before the Newf was a Field Trial Stud Book Springer we hunted over extensively, and for the wife's dog we figured the calmer, closer-ranging Cocker is probably a better choice as she'll double as a go-everywhere pet. Still a field-bred gun dog, tho....as I'm not a big fan of bench lines bred for conformity at the expense of working talent.

The Newf was acquired to be the job site safety officer...literally, as I now generally work alone. Canine life preserver and hypothermia preventer should I ever get pinned by a tree. Amazing, wonderful dogs bred for exactly that purpose...but definitely not house dogs as they don't like the heat and that oily coat is overly fragrant.

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Bob you'll find the English Cocker to be generally very CALM...Good choice for your needs..

Jim O'Dell
01-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Bob you'll find the English Cocker to be generally very CALM...Good choice for your needs..

Man, I may have to rethink the breed I get when I'm old. There are many Irish Setter people that get English Cockers as second breeds. A friend of ours has both, and the few times we have been around the Engies, they have been just as spirited and crazy as the Irish are, just in a smaller package. If the one's I've been around aren't the norm, maybe they aren't the breed for me. I'm not sure I could handle a calm dog!!! And with a 4 month old IS in the house right now, I'm having a blast. Meet Tainaron's Tango at Coolmeadow, akd Tainy. Jim.

James Carmichael
01-31-2005, 1:03 PM
Thanks, Jerry.

Was raised with English Setters and Springers doing both upland and .

What kinda upland birds you got, Bob? Ringnecks? Huns?

My last Brit (Zeke, 1989-2001, RIP) and I had the pleasure of hunting some of the best bobwhite country in the world during his too-short life. There's absolutely nothing finer than roaming the uplands behind a good gundog, especially one who's your best friend.

BTW, whoever dubbed bobwhite hunting the "gentleman's sport" never watched a Brittany tunnel under a multi-acre mott of blackjacks formed into a near-solid mass by head-high green briar (and his crazy master trying to keep up!).

Bob Smalser
01-31-2005, 8:44 PM
What kinda upland birds you got, Bob? Ringnecks? Huns?

We have a combined 61 acres in two remote locations...one I'm currently building the house on.

I'm managing them for multiple use forestry-refuge-preserve. We currently have Mountain Quail, Ruffed Grouse, various waterfowl on the ponds and an occasional Ringneck. Once my food plots and oak/chinquapin plantations come to bear I'll restock Wild Turkey, and I'm looking for a breeder of Mountain Quail...otherwise I may stock California Quail, as they prefer different habitat than their rarer Mountain cousins and won't compete.

A trip across the mountains gets us Huns if we like....but the open rangeland of Yakima isn't spaniel country.

Man, I may have to rethink the breed I get when I'm old.

Old?

Yup....but I still run a manual sawmill as part of the living as well as hump up and down these mountains doing forestry..."old" doesn't equal weak, wimpy or unable to keep up with whippersnappers....even whippersnapper loggers. ;)

Geoff Irvine
02-02-2005, 3:28 AM
"....as I'm not a big fan of bench lines bred for conformity at the expense of working talent."

I wholeheartedly agree. Breeding to a standard invaribly also increases the incidence of problems physically and tempermentally. I usually advise people that some of the healthiest dogs are the Bitsa's (bits of this and bits of that). I'm most probably trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs but those you who own the 'water' dogs might find the incidence of ear problems greatly reduced if , after the dog has been in water, you take a bit of time to dry out the dogs ear with a bit of cotton wool - I usually twist this into a cone and push that into the vertical part of the ear canal and massage the ear and remove , doing this 2-3times on average. You need a large bit of cotton wool as the ear canal in most dogs can be suprisingly big. DO NOT go near the ear canal with a cottonbud (those little sticks of plastic with a bit of cotton on each end... bad , very bad , naughty don't touch). The number of dogs I've seen with dreadful ear problems and a common history of being wet within the last 5-10days is so high that 'Has the dog been wet recently? is one of the first questions I ask when presented with an ear problem. Ear problems can be a real pain to both the dog and the vet. Hope you don't mind the lecture but I feel really sorry for the dogs with bad ears.
http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif Nice to see the dogs doing what they are supposed to and getting exercise. Don't they all look great.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif