PDA

View Full Version : Fire Bowl

Johnny Taylor
03-20-2011, 7:32 PM
This piercing business is quite addictive! This bowl is made from sycamore and pierced
with a fire design. The 'skeleton' part is representative of the flames leaping away from the black part which is the thing 'burning'. The bowl is a wide rimmed ogee style and about 9" wide.
Comments and critiques most welcome and appreciated.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/wee011.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/ickle0026.jpg

Johnny

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 7:40 PM
Wow-e, that is spectacular. I am in awe and just speechless.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 7:43 PM
Love the imagination on this piece! Very nice detail work and I really like all the color! Well done! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 7:43 PM
I did have to add one more thing.

Fire! Fire! Hehehehehe!

Tim Thiebaut
03-20-2011, 8:21 PM
That is absolutly amazing, beautiful piece of work you have there, well done!

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2011, 8:24 PM
Wow that is stunning piece. Love the color.

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 8:48 PM
Johnny, you guys over the pond sure do some neat work!!! I was just telling Ms. Keeton that I wanted to do a piece with flames on it sometime in the future. The coloration on this is great - dyes or acrylics, or ????

Roland Martin
03-20-2011, 8:54 PM
WOW! What a stunning piece, Johnny. You've got the complete package.

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 8:56 PM
Really nice! I like that you changed the pattern of the piecing as the color changed. The overall form is nice, but you've taken it to another level with the embellishments.

David DeCristoforo
03-20-2011, 9:24 PM
That's hot! It even looks hot...

Roger Chandler
03-20-2011, 9:35 PM
That one is special!

Donny Lawson
03-20-2011, 9:36 PM
GREAT looking piece of art. That's one to be proud of. What did you use to do your piercing?

Baxter Smith
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Very nice work! The color and piercings are outstanding!

Curt Fuller
03-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I really like this one!

Michael James
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Won't hold soup, but it is very attractive and certainly a 1 of a kind piece! Nice job.

Richard Madden
03-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Beautiful work!! It's HOT...yet COOL!!

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Awesome piece. Really looks great from the side, amazing how all the depth is lost on the overhead.

Ron Stadler
03-21-2011, 1:52 AM
Very, Very cool Johnny, I would've never know the bowl had that kind of shape from the first picture. But I think it is really a great piece, the only thing I would suggest to try maybe next time is to make your flame side a little more pointier or flame like but still this is an awesome bowl and however you guys do this dying process is spectacular.

Michelle Rich
03-21-2011, 6:41 AM
I saw this over on WOW in birdseye view and couldn't quite grasp it..now with the side view, I am totally into this. Super, super, super.

Dan Hintz
03-21-2011, 6:45 AM
Wohooooooeeee....... very slick coloring, love the pattern. This is something I would consider buying if I saw it for sale (before the wife gave me the evil eye, mind you).

Russell Eaton
03-21-2011, 7:01 AM
Johnny that is a very nice piece. I would be afraid that some one would break that just trying to pick it up. As much material as you have removed is it frail as it looks?

Darren Jamieson
03-21-2011, 7:51 AM
Very interesting peice and it is definatly artistic. is the dying or painting done with an air brush? I agree that you would not have expected the depth until you see a side veiw. Great job thanks for posting.

Johnny Taylor
03-21-2011, 1:51 PM
Thanks for all the comments and input. I'm really happy with this piece myself and am glad that you have all liked it too.

The coloration on this is great - dyes or acrylics, or ????
John its coloured with acrylics, I love the build they give and the matte finish to them.

What did you use to do your piercing?
Donny I am currently using a standard dremel 300, I dont have a flexi shaft for it so doing this much piercing on a piece does lead to a bit of an achy hand! I can't tell you what the bits are,I buy them in packs of 5 and they are simply labelled 'piercing bits' by the shop where I get them!

As much material as you have removed is it frail as it looks?
Russel in a word.....Yes! lol. A bit of care in handling is required but then it is with glass work or porcelain, I would hope an eventual owner wouldn't use it to throw their keys in at the end of the day!

I saw this over on WOW in birdseye view and couldn't quite grasp it..now with the side view, I am totally into this. Super, super, super.
Thanks Michelle, I'm not a fan of a 'birdseye view' but after trying to get a picture to show the smaller piercing this angle was the only one that worked!

.....is the dying or painting done with an air brush?

Yes Darren its airbrushed on, nothing compares to the finish and versatility of the airbrush for colouring work.