PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-325 SB - Two Speeds??

Jim Eller
03-20-2011, 6:52 PM
I was changing the blade on my Rikon 10-325 bandsaw a few moments ago and re-noticed the two sets of pulleys for making it two speed. It came in "high gear" and that's where she's alway been. Never gave it another thought until now.

So the question is, what are the guidelines for using either high or low speed? What determines when you change?

Thanks,
Jim

Joe Spear
03-20-2011, 7:43 PM
I have never seen any need to change to the lower speed on my 10-325. Metal-working bandsaws need a slower speed, but that speed, I think, is far slower than the Rikon offers. I have seen this question before over the past few years (sometimes referring to a four-speed Harbor Freight saw), and the consensus has been that a slower speed isn't really necessary for wood cutting.

mickey cassiba
03-20-2011, 11:29 PM
When I built my Delta 14" with parts from the bone yard I found a set of step pulleys from a metal working say, and installed them. I do not often change speeds, but having the option is pretty neat, especially when cutting burn-prone material.

Jim Eller
03-21-2011, 7:05 AM
Would there be any benefit to use a slower speed when resawing?

Curt Harms
03-21-2011, 8:28 AM
Would there be any benefit to use a slower speed when resawing?

It seems like there could be, it'd be like shifting to a lower gear. I haven't run into a situation where my motor was bogging down on high speed as of yet. I'd think resawing using the lower speed would require feeding really slow. I wonder if the lower speed is there for non-ferrous metals.

Callan Campbell
03-21-2011, 8:46 AM
I checked with the Rikon website. Yes, the lower speed is for the cutting of non-ferrous metals with the Band Saw. I've yet to do it with my Rikon, but it was worth the key strokes of my keyboard to check with them on why again, do we have two speeds?. Too funny that I forgot on my own saw.

Brian Tymchak
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Too funny that I forgot on my own saw.

Yup. Me too. thanks for checking..

Jim Eller
03-21-2011, 7:40 PM
Yup. Me too. thanks for checking..

OK, I'm old. What are you guys using for an excuse?? :D

Thanks to all for clearing that up.

Jim

Curt Harms
03-22-2011, 9:03 AM
OK, I'm old. What are you guys using for an excuse?? :D

Jim

NASCRS (non age specific can't remember squat) ;)

Callan Campbell
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
NASCRS (non age specific can't remember squat) ;)
Now that we've defined it, is it covered by insurance? :p