PDA

View Full Version : Another Mike Smith Fall prize Blank.

Jack Mincey
03-20-2011, 6:00 PM
I just finished roughing out a chip and dip plater from a nice big leaf maple blank that I got from Mike Smith in the fall bowl contest. This blank was covered with a thick coat of wax which had the grain and burl spots unseen by me until I turned the wax away. All I can say is WOW what nice grain this blank had. It started out right at 22" and ended up around 20" once I got it round. It is the largest dia. blank that I've ever turned. I didn't put any detail in the rough out, but hope to put a bit in it when I turn it to finish thickness. If the dip bowl warps to much as it dries I will have to turn it away and be happy with a nice large platter. My son had to get into the act in the last picture. He is a normal size 8 year old to give some reference to the size of the platter.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00215.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00217.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00219.jpg

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 6:14 PM
Wow! That is a big blank. Actually I said something else when the first photo loaded, but this is a family forum. ;) Good luck with it.

That looks like a nice set-up you have with the outboard end of the Oneway.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 6:44 PM
Jack - sure looks like some beautiful wood! Hope everything dries without cracking! Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Let your son know that he did a great job holding up the platter for everyone to see!

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 6:49 PM
Jack, great looking wood!! I need to talk to Mike and get some of that - a little smaller, of course!

Your son looks like he enjoys being in the shop.

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 9:02 PM
That's a great looking piece of wood! Good looking kid, too.

Baxter Smith
03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Great looking roughout. Hope the drying goes well!

Tim Thiebaut
03-21-2011, 12:50 AM
That is a nice looking piece of wood Jack. Sorry to go off topic here but I had a question about your lathe, I have never been around one as big as that before although I have seen pictures obviously, the tailstock on that thing looks massive, not sure what it weights but do you slide it by hand like most other wood lathes, or does it have a geared drive like you wood see on a metal lathe to help with moving it?

Jack Mincey
03-21-2011, 6:42 AM
Thanks everyone. My son enjoys doing most anything with me and he loves to clean up the shavings after I finish roughing out a bowl or two. I'm sure this will not last much longer. I've let him turn a few pens with close supervision to this point. Tim, the tail stock on the out board side of my lathe is two pieces. I use the 16" tail stock from the inboard side of the lathe sitting on top of a 4" riser block that OneWay offers. They weigh a good amount together, but still slide up and down the ways with ease. One can handle either tail stock or riser block with one hand when separate and off the lathe. The great thing about the riser block is that I can mount anything on 24" swing outboard end of my lathe using it that will fit on my 16" inboard side of the lathe.
Thanks Again,
Jack

Russell Eaton
03-21-2011, 6:52 AM
nice looking platter. What finish will you use? I think you need to take the platter holder for a ice cream for the hard work.

Darren Jamieson
03-21-2011, 7:58 AM
Should be interesting to see this one complete. The little fella is so happy thinking about all the chip and dip he will get to eat off of this one. Oh ya nice lathe, makes a guy cry thinking about what I can't afford.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2011, 9:54 AM
Jack that is a nice looking platter as is son who is holding it. Can't wait to see it finised.

bob svoboda
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Nice piece of wood and a great project. What wouldn't be great about spending shop time with your son?
Be sure to show us the finished product.

Mark Hubl
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Turned out to be a great looking. Man that is a big blank. The little guy looks pretty happy with dad's work.

Dan Forman
03-21-2011, 1:29 PM
Jack---That's a big platter! Nice job on both the project and the holder.

Dan

Ray Bell
03-21-2011, 9:56 PM
That is going to be a beautiful, BIG, platter Jack. you can't beat Mike Smith, and his wood collection. It was a pleasure meeting him in Arizona.