PDA

View Full Version : looking for a template for this cross (pic attached)

stefano panusa
03-20-2011, 5:52 PM
My daughter really wanted this, wondering if anyone had a cdr (or any) file of it ? It might also be a scrollsaw pattern, but searching for "cross" is not very helpful. :)

thanks!

Andrew Arndts
03-20-2011, 8:26 PM
Try searching images under "Medieval Cross" you might find very close similarities

Dee Gallo
03-20-2011, 8:32 PM
Hi Stefano,

This design lends itself to an opportunity for you to learn how to use the drawing tools in CorelDraw, which is easy if you follow these directions:

1. Import your photo, straighten it out and lock it. You will draw right on top of it.
2. Use the Drawing tool to click & double click on each corner of a diamond. Do each one separately and make sure you overlap the inside tips.
3. Use the Shape tool to make them perfect and make the line as thick as you want the wood.
4. Add the circle to the top, making sure it overlaps the top point
5. Select them all and WELD
6. CONVERT OUTLINE TO OBJECT
7. Make the center circle, black fill, no line, put it where you want it in the center
8. Select them both and GROUP
9. CONVERT TO CURVE
10. Change fill to NONE and line to HAIRLINE
11. Select all and WELD

To change something like the size of the hole at the top, just select and BREAK APART

It's much harder to read about than to do. Practice makes perfect and you will use these tools all the time!

cheers, dee187495

Mike Lassiter
03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Dee, you have been a great teacher and coach as long as I have been coming here. I am self taught myself learning by doing and making mistakes and doing it again. I know there are many ways to "skin a cat" and everybody has their own way. Thanks for this, as I THOUGHT I knew how, but after reading your post, I think I have another way now to try.
I have been a mechanic or worked in related area most of my life. So often when one had a problem he couldn't figure out, the group would get together and brainstorm on the problem together. It is a fascinating thing when people come together to solve a problem. The collective is so much better than the sum of the individuals. One makes a remark, then another takes that and says "hey what about" and another and so one. I have saw many problems solved over the years in this way. I am glad to be apart of this. I have learned more from everyone here than I can ever possibly repay.

Craig Matheny
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=stefano panusa;1664928]My daughter really wanted this, wondering if anyone had a cdr (or any) file of it ? It might also be a scrollsaw pattern, but searching for "cross" is not very helpful. :)

Stefano what is in the cross the fill?

Dee Gallo
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Mike, and you're right, two (or more) heads are better than one!

BTW- if Stefano or anyone else making this cross wanted to fill the center, it is easy to make a BOUNDARY, which simply outlines the shape and then you cut that out for a base to be glued to the top cutout.

cheers, dee

edit: I should mention that these steps are definitely specific in order - I tried to change them around and could not get the correct results unless I did it this way. Corel has some quirks but when you figure it out, it will do what you want!

mark anizan
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Ive got the scroll saw pattern for that cross in fact that I still have the one in the picture .its cut from cedar and has a walnut back before it was filled with the glitter.If you send me your email in a pm I can send you the pattern. My wife makes the crosses .