PDA

View Full Version : More miniatures

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 3:56 PM
My apologies for inundating the forum with new photos... I tend to photograph in batches, so I end up with several things to post at once. Bear with me...

For your amusement today, we have a trio of little hollow forms. The one on your left is cottonwood with pyro and a jarrah burl collar. The middle piece is birdseye elm with African blackwood, and the remaining piece is claro walnut with more African Blackwood. The walnut was purchase here in the classifieds a while back... gorgeous stuff!

The ruler is there for scale. Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

philip labre
03-20-2011, 4:01 PM
Keep the pics coming, David. You've been posting some great pieces, including these.

Brian Libby
03-20-2011, 4:19 PM
great hollow forms. The claro walnut has a great shine - you can see your reflection from taking the picture !!

John W Dixon
03-20-2011, 4:24 PM
David these are all very nice. I think I'm partial to the birdseye though.

John

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 4:41 PM
Awwww, how cute! Look at those itty bitty things! :p :D
Those are really nice, David, and I'm really drawin to the elm. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 4:56 PM
David - you sure have been busy lately! Very nice work once again! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 5:05 PM
Some excellent forms in such small scale! Very nice stuff. The elm is very nice, with good proportion and detail, but I think the Claro is beautiful! I am, however, somewhat partial to Claro walnut!

Gary Max
03-20-2011, 5:20 PM
They all look great David-----I could use 100 of them for this years show season.

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 5:41 PM
Nice little trio! I am so shocked that Keeton's favorite was the claro!:D

Kathy Marshall
03-20-2011, 5:45 PM
Beautiful little group you have there!

Tim Thiebaut
03-20-2011, 7:04 PM
Those are very nice, love the tiny HF alot!

Roland Martin
03-20-2011, 8:45 PM
Nice little trio! I am so shocked that Keeton's favorite was the claro!:D

John likes Claro?? What?, next are you going to say he likes BLM??????:D:D

Thank you David, for inundating us:). The elm is great and the finial fits it perfectly. The Claro is gorgeous and the finish "WOW" Just being able to photograph that piece is incredible:) Very nice!

Jim Adkins
03-20-2011, 9:20 PM
Very nice trio David, would have a difficult time picking ONE to buy!!

Baxter Smith
03-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice work David. I bet they were fun to do. I tend to think "bigger" but every time I do something little I enjoy it.

Michael James
03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Love the forms on all these, but the pyro cottonwood texture pattern loses me. Perhaps if there was more of the cottonwood and less pyro the subtleties of the cottonwood would show. The other 2 are awesome - I like the lil ones occasionally myownself.

Jim Burr
03-20-2011, 11:03 PM
The pyro guy looks like it was beaten like a red headed step child. The other are just beautiful. That walnut sure finishes up well. I like the finial too...very simple with an English/angular look to it. Very cool!

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Beautiful group David and nicely done. Keep'em coming.

Ron Stadler
03-21-2011, 2:09 AM
Wow, those are really some stunning piece and would've never guess they were all that small. Almost fell out of my chair when I glanced at the ruler there, nice touch on such small pieces.

Michelle Rich
03-21-2011, 6:27 AM
Thanks for taking care of my amusement factor today...neat trio

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 4:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Love the forms on all these, but the pyro cottonwood texture pattern loses me. Perhaps if there was more of the cottonwood and less pyro the subtleties of the cottonwood would show. The other 2 are awesome - I like the lil ones occasionally myownself.

The pyro guy looks like it was beaten like a red headed step child. The other are just beautiful. That walnut sure finishes up well. I like the finial too...very simple with an English/angular look to it. Very cool!

I agree with both of you... A pyrography artist I'm not. I'm just figuring out the temperature controls on that thing. Just so you know, it looks even worse in person than it does in the photos.:D

Cathy Schaewe
03-21-2011, 8:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks.

I agree with both of you... A pyrography artist I'm not. I'm just figuring out the temperature controls on that thing. Just so you know, it looks even worse in person than it does in the photos.:D

Hey, you don't get anywhere without practice! Seriously, the claro is so beautiful that I can't tear myself away to look at the other ones - gorgeous. You need to find a gallery. Maybe DD and JK can give you tips ...

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 9:01 PM
Hey, you don't get anywhere without practice! Seriously, the claro is so beautiful that I can't tear myself away to look at the other ones - gorgeous. You need to find a gallery. Maybe DD and JK can give you tips ...

Thanks, Cathy. There's a truckstop out near the highway that might let me display a piece or two... It's more of a velvet Elvis crowd around here, so I don't like my chances.

Cathy Schaewe
03-21-2011, 9:09 PM
Thanks, Cathy. There's a truckstop out near the highway that might let me display a piece or two... It's more of a velvet Elvis crowd around here, so I don't like my chances.

Having lived in Joplin MO during high school, I may know whereof you speak ...

Eugene Wigley
03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
David, those are great. The claro is my favorite. I have not yet done a hollow form. I hope to do one soon. Thanks for posting this and the other work you have posted. I learn a lot about form from looking at your work.

Michael James
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I agree with both of you... A pyrography artist I'm not. I'm just figuring out the temperature controls on that thing.

David, if I remember correctly you bought the cheapest burner you could find. It seems to work, but I'm guessing the tip/s are blunt, leaving marks that lack precision. If the boundary lines were crisper it would have a much different look to it. So, it's really the vagueness rather than the pattern that doesn't fit (for me) with your very clean turning.
Sorta like you doing surgery with one of my kitchen knives...they're sharp but I'd hate to see the scars. :eek:
Just my .oo2,
mj

Jeff Myroup
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Great forms. I really like these little HF's.

I agree with you about the cottonwood though. It seems a little "muddy". I am not sure the collar works. I think something darker, more to the color of the burn would help it. Did you outline the the burn before or after the texture? If you wait until after the texture is burned to outline, it will work a little better. If you want a more even color in the burn, try a micro torch. You can cut a piece of sheet metal into a french curve and use it as a shield. Just like you do with air brushing. It might be easier to practice on a bigger piece. I can only imagine burning something that small.

It is a toss up over which I like best.

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
David, if I remember correctly you bought the cheapest burner you could find. It seems to work, but I'm guessing the tip/s are blunt, leaving marks that lack precision. If the boundary lines were crisper it would have a much different look to it. So, it's really the vagueness rather than the pattern that doesn't fit (for me) with your very clean turning.
Sorta like you doing surgery with one of my kitchen knives...they're sharp but I'd hate to see the scars. :eek:
Just my .oo2,
mj

You're right about the cheap burner... Except that I upgraded to a razortip before I did this one. No blaming the equipment... Bad technique. Remember that I'm an orthopedic surgeon... We do a lot of stuff with hammers and power tools, so the 'delicate hands of a surgeon' thing doesn't necessarily apply.

Great forms. I really like these little HF's.

I agree with you about the cottonwood though. It seems a little "muddy". I am not sure the collar works. I think something darker, more to the color of the burn would help it. Did you outline the the burn before or after the texture? If you wait until after the texture is burned to outline, it will work a little better. If you want a more even color in the burn, try a micro torch. You can cut a piece of sheet metal into a french curve and use it as a shield. Just like you do with air brushing. It might be easier to practice on a bigger piece. I can only imagine burning something that small.

It is a toss up over which I like best.

Thanks for the tips, Jeff. I outlined before I did the fields of texture, so I'll try it the other way next time around. We've got a brulee torch in the kitchen that I can probably sneak out to the shop. I've got some bradford pear that I'm considering for another practice piece, but I'll likely stay with small form for my pyro practice. The only thing worse than wasting time making an ugly little piece is wasting even more time on a larger scale version.

Jeff Myroup
03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
You're right about the cheap burner... Except that I upgraded to a razortip before I did this one. No blaming the equipment... Bad technique. Remember that I'm an orthopedic surgeon... We do a lot of stuff with hammers and power tools, so the 'delicate hands of a surgeon' thing doesn't necessarily apply.

Thanks for the tips, Jeff. I outlined before I did the fields of texture, so I'll try it the other way next time around. We've got a brulee torch in the kitchen that I can probably sneak out to the shop. I've got some bradford pear that I'm considering for another practice piece, but I'll likely stay with small form for my pyro practice. The only thing worse than wasting time making an ugly little piece is wasting even more time on a larger scale version.

The brûlée torch might be a little big. You want the smallest flame possible. Keep it moving or you will char the wood.