PDA

View Full Version : technique

Deane Allinson
03-20-2011, 1:33 PM
I'm a new turner and am trying not to develop many "self taught" bad habits. I am finding that I tend to look at the piece of work on the far wide of my tool and rest, to watch the pieces profile instead of watching my tool and what it is cutting. Good, Bad, or matter of preference?
Deane

David DeCristoforo
03-20-2011, 1:40 PM
You have two eyes, right? One eye on the tool and one on the opposite side looking at the profile. That's how I try to do it. "Proper technique"? Beats me. My "technique" would make most accomplished turners choke!

Wally Dickerman
03-20-2011, 1:43 PM
Once you get a "feel" for the gouge, watching the profile as you cut is the right way to go. You'll find that you have better tool control and it's easier to keep the bevel on the wood.

Mark Levitski
03-20-2011, 1:58 PM
I rely a lot on watching the profile as I cut. First of all, to see the shadow image of the out-of-round places that I need to remove to get it back into round. Second, to visualize the profile that I would like to see in that particular piece. I became more relaxed and more dependent on this only after I became more experienced with tool cuts. After tool technique became more second nature I could put my attention on the spinning profile.

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 2:25 PM
I do as you suggest... Watch the profile not the tool.

Nate Davey
03-20-2011, 3:21 PM
I'm also a fairly new turner. I am finding I'm more comfortable looking at the profile than I was before.

Jim Burr
03-20-2011, 3:26 PM
That's the way I was taught...thinking it's more developed than inherent.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 4:50 PM
Deane - I watch the profile while turning but sure didn't start out that way. Now that I am comfortable with the tools I can relax and concentrate on the form.

Also - watching the profile reminds a little like when first learning how to drive. You are taught to look ahead to see what's coming instead of only looking directly in front of the vehicle. When watching the profile of the turning - your curves are going to be smoother because you can see the big picture instead of concentrating on just the tip of the tool. JMO.

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 5:44 PM
Agree with others have said, as I have become more comfortable with the tools, I watch the profile much more than the tool.

Tom Hamilton
03-20-2011, 9:36 PM
My instructor tried to teach me to watch the profile when I started turning. He actually succeeded but not until a couple of years later when I became more comfortable with how things were supposed to work. Now I watch the profile and let the tool do it's own thing. Seems to be working out just fine.

Keep your eye on the horizon! Best regards, Tom

PS: If you haven't taken a lesson I sure do recommend that as a starting point to reduce "self taught" bad habits. If not in G"Ville, I'm sure just down the road in Dallas there are an number of AAW Turning club members that would be happy to help you.