PDA

View Full Version : Spruce burl

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 11:13 AM
I was gifted a spruce burl from a buddy in Michigan a while back, and here's what I found inside of it. I'd never turned spruce before, but I found this to be a pleasure to turn... The stuff cuts great and smells fantastic.

Nothing fancy about this one. About 9 inches in diameter and finished with shellac and one coat of WOP thus far.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Curt Fuller
03-20-2011, 11:25 AM
This is another beauty David! That's a beautiful form and I like all the natural stuff going on in the wood. Did you get to taste any of the worms?

Roland Martin
03-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Well, you're hard at it! Nice character in this piece and the form is spot on. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Excellent form! Really nice looking wood! Love the grain, color variations and the worm holes! Nice work David!

Larry Marley
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Very Nice form. Beautiful.

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
You just have to love wormy wood even if it is softwood, nice job!!

Roger Chandler
03-20-2011, 1:05 PM
Nice form David......I especially like the grain orientation.

Wally Dickerman
03-20-2011, 1:48 PM
David, you're getting in lots of shop time...I like the form on this piece. Good curve from beginning to end. I can't remember ever turning spruce but I can imagine that your shop smells nice.

David DeCristoforo
03-20-2011, 1:56 PM
Essa nice-a piece. Nicea piece-a wood. Nice-a shape-a. Whatta more canna you say?

Nothing "fancy"? Hummm... That might be open to dispute. Like Dubya would have said, it all depends on how you define "fancy". One way or the other, it's a really nice piece.

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 2:43 PM
Very clean form, David! I haven't had the pleasure of turning spruce, but this piece sure looks nice. I would give this one an A+!!

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 4:36 PM
That's a pretty form with nice curves. The wood ain't bad either - especially the coloring. :)

Like Dubya would have said, it all depends on how you define "fancy". One way or the other, it's a really nice piece.

I thought that was Bubba, not Dubya, that had alternate definitions. ;)

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 5:35 PM
Nice David. Your forms are always very pleasing and the wood does a nice job on this one. You have been busy!

Baxter Smith
03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Nice job David. Great form and the wood has a lot going on with it.

Richard Madden
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice job turning on a good looking piece of wood.

Michael James
03-20-2011, 11:00 PM
OOOOH I like that one, a lot. I'm going to have to try rounding out the curves on one for fun. Great chunk of wood for this piece. Again, thanks for uppin your latest work.
mj

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Beautiful piece and love the form. Wood really looks nice.

Ron Stadler
03-21-2011, 2:03 AM
Well for nothing fancy it sure is pretty, love the form and the spruce has a lot of nice character and coloring in it.

Michelle Rich
03-21-2011, 6:33 AM
I love the simplicity of this piece You sure got lovely balance in your grain/coloration ...this really appeals to me

bob svoboda
03-21-2011, 8:56 AM
Very nice. A lot of Spruce in this territory-never thought about trying to turn it--did you run into any major pitch problems?

Jim Burr
03-21-2011, 9:13 AM
Nice full looking form and the critter hotel is cool too!

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks. I didn't see or taste any worms during the turning of this piece... I guess they moved out before I got ahold of this piece. As for the pitch, I didn't have any issues. I used Wally's suggestion to oil sand beginning with my initial grit, and that really seemed to tame an otherwise soft wood.

I can't believe the smell of this stuff. I turned this thing several weeks ago, and the trashcan still smells fantastic from all of the shavings I dumped in... I'm gonna hate it when I have to empty the trash!

Wally Dickerman
03-21-2011, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks. I didn't see or taste any worms during the turning of this piece... I guess they moved out before I got ahold of this piece. As for the pitch, I didn't have any issues. I used Wally's suggestion to oil sand beginning with my initial grit, and that really seemed to tame an otherwise soft wood.

I can't believe the smell of this stuff. I turned this thing several weeks ago, and the trashcan still smells fantastic from all of the shavings I dumped in... I'm gonna hate it when I have to empty the trash!
Save some of the small chips. I have a Huon pine box that I got in a trade with Vic Wood way back in about 1988. When Vic turned boxes out of Huon pine he always included a small cloth bag of wood chips. Today, when I remove the box lid the wonderful aroma is just as strong as it was almost 25 years ago.

charlie knighton
03-21-2011, 5:33 PM
very nice....